Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Have your favorite tires ever been discontinued?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-19, 07:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Not sure about the best, but I think most of us can can agree (arguably) that the worst tires in the modern American market were probably the Firestone Wilderness. They were standard equipment on most of the Ford Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers that were going out of control and rolling over from tire failure. Yes, several other factors were also at work in that fiasco, such as Ford's outdated Twin-I-Beam front suspension, Ford's cutback in recommended tire-pressure to 26 PSI for a smother ride to address customer complaints (which clearly wasn't enough for safety under high-stress-conditions), the fact that Ford and Firestone couldn't agree on safe PSIs but Ford ignored Firestone recommendations anyway, the fact that, unlike most tires, the Wilderness tires did not have an adequate built-in safety factor, and the fact that some owners themselves were simply neglegent in checking their tires and adding air as necessary, then overloading their vehicles and driving them at high speeds on hot pavement...a classic formula for tire failure.
Old 02-18-19, 06:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not sure about the best, but I think most of us can can agree (arguably) that the worst tires in the modern American market were probably the Firestone Wilderness. They were standard equipment on most of the Ford Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers that were going out of control and rolling over from tire failure. Yes, several other factors were also at work in that fiasco, such as Ford's outdated Twin-I-Beam front suspension, Ford's cutback in recommended tire-pressure to 26 PSI for a smother ride to address customer complaints (which clearly wasn't enough for safety under high-stress-conditions), the fact that Ford and Firestone couldn't agree on safe PSIs but Ford ignored Firestone recommendations anyway, the fact that, unlike most tires, the Wilderness tires did not have an adequate built-in safety factor, and the fact that some owners themselves were simply neglegent in checking their tires and adding air as necessary, then overloading their vehicles and driving them at high speeds on hot pavement...a classic formula for tire failure.
The Firestone Wilderness tires were actually excellent tires overall and rated highly in most tests. The tread separation issue of course made them unacceptable.
Old 02-18-19, 08:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The Firestone Wilderness tires were actually excellent tires overall and rated highly in most tests. The tread separation issue of course made them unacceptable.
Good tires, if reasonably well-maintained, don't come apart at speed, though, as I pointed out, there were a couple of non-Firestone-related issues involved that were not necessarily the tire's fault. Still, it is clear that the Wilderness tires did not have a safety-net built in (or a zone of forgiveness) like many other tires did....they were critical in their safe-operating envelope.
Old 02-18-19, 11:18 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Firestone Winterforce now only come in very limited sizes. These are the best winter tires that last the longest. Modern winter tires such as Blizzaks and X-ice only last for about 5k miles, and are not anywhere are durable.
Old 02-19-19, 03:24 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had Michelin's on my 2002 Accord. Went through 4 sets of those before Michelin stopped making them in my size. I did a lot of research and settled on a Yokohama Avid Ascend with orange technology. Impressive tire, dare I say as good or better than the Michelin? I didn't get a chance to rack up the miles on them, though, as I sold the car about 10k miles later.
Old 02-19-19, 05:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Firestone Winterforce now only come in very limited sizes. These are the best winter tires that last the longest. Modern winter tires such as Blizzaks and X-ice only last for about 5k miles, and are not anywhere are durable.
That's strange, I have the X-ice xi3's which I would not recommend based on noise, but I am on my 3rd season. I could check my records but I'm positive I put more than 5k on them, probably 11k and they are not worn. I would give Blizzaks a try next time.

This was last week, I think there are some in my office who dislike me lol

Old 02-19-19, 08:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
That's strange, I have the X-ice xi3's which I would not recommend based on noise, but I am on my 3rd season. I could check my records but I'm positive I put more than 5k on them, probably 11k and they are not worn. I would give Blizzaks a try next time.

This was last week, I think there are some in my office who dislike me lol

Well, in NYC at least half of the winter the temperature is in the 40ies, and Blizzaks and X-ice become very soft in warmer weather and wear out way too quickly. But you still need them for those snowy days. On the other hand, Winterforces seem to never wear out, and are also ridiculolusly durable going over rough roads and potholes. I've had them on several vehicles, and never even had a puncture.
Old 02-20-19, 11:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Had Michelin's on my 2002 Accord. Went through 4 sets of those before Michelin stopped making them in my size. I did a lot of research and settled on a Yokohama Avid Ascend with orange technology. Impressive tire, dare I say as good or better than the Michelin? I didn't get a chance to rack up the miles on them, though, as I sold the car about 10k miles later.
What's the 'orange' technology?
Old 02-20-19, 01:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
What's the 'orange' technology?

It refers to tires whose compounds are made with oil from orange-peels.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-19 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 01:01 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It refers to tires whose compounds are made with oil from oranges.
I see. Thanks