Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How would a tire warranty work when person uses snow tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 01:24 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts
Default How would a tire warranty work when person uses snow tires?

I figure now, even confirmed by the forum, tires can and will wear out prior to the mileage warranty expiring. I think this is good for the mfg. because they prorata the customer into another set.

But let's say a person does 5-10k/winter on another set of tires, how would a warranty on the summer tires be handled? It would imply the tires did not wear out prematurely...seems they go by odometer....
Old 02-19-19, 02:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Tire warranty is supposed to cover whatever tires are on the car - at least this is what I get with BMW. On my wife's car she had a rear summer tire punctured - and they replaced it, and then she had a rear winter tire punctured - and they actually replaced both rear winter tires to have even thread wear.
Old 02-20-19, 05:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Well what I mean is say the tires like a Premier has a 60k warranty, but the owner also runs snow tires. So 4 years later the odometer shows 60k, but actually, 20k of that 60k was on the snows, not the Premiers. When they look at the Premiers being shot, then look at the warranty, they say warranty has expired based on the odometer having a 60k delta....
Old 02-20-19, 06:48 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Well what I mean is say the tires like a Premier has a 60k warranty, but the owner also runs snow tires. So 4 years later the odometer shows 60k, but actually, 20k of that 60k was on the snows, not the Premiers. When they look at the Premiers being shot, then look at the warranty, they say warranty has expired based on the odometer having a 60k delta....

The warranty claim would probably be honoured if you could provide shop receipts/invoices of tire changeovers. Receipts/invoices usually detail the mileage on the car at the time of service. Without documentation, I think a warranty claim would be easily denied.
Old 02-20-19, 06:53 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
The warranty claim would probably be honoured if you could provide shop receipts/invoices of tire changeovers. Receipts/invoices usually detail the mileage on the car at the time of service. Without documentation, I think a warranty claim would be easily denied.
Makes sense, kind of if you do everything at one place/shop, they have all the records....might not work with us DIY'ers.....
Old 02-20-19, 07:05 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Makes sense, kind of if you do everything at one place/shop, they have all the records....might not work with us DIY'ers.....
Doesn't have to be at the same shop. The invoice just has to state the mileage at the time of service.

Definitely won't work with DIY changeovers, but some places offer free changeovers if the tires were purchased from them. I think Costco might do it, and I know some local tire shops also do it (probably as an incentive to sell more tires vs. losing sales to online purchases).
Old 02-20-19, 07:58 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Definitely won't work with DIY changeovers, but some places offer free changeovers if the tires were purchased from them. I think Costco might do it, and I know some local tire shops also do it (probably as an incentive to sell more tires vs. losing sales to online purchases).
Costco does not. They charge $20 for an 8-tire/8-wheel swap, when you have a fully dedicated set of winter wheels/tires; or $40 for an 8-tire/4-wheel swap, where they have to peel one set of tires and remount/rebalance the other. This is true even if you bought both sets from them. I used to take it to them anyway, but lately have just found it easier to do it myself.

As far as the thread title is confirmed, that's one thing I'm definitely not worried about with Costco. They go above and beyond with their tire warranties. Last year I got a flat (pinhole slow leak in the sidewall) in a bad part of town at night. So rather than wait for a tow, I drove on the flat probably 2.5 miles (at very low speed) to find a gas station to fill it up with enough air to get home (TPMS warning came back on as I turned onto my street). Costco replaced the tire at no charge, even though A) driving on the sidewall put wear right over the pinhole, thus no way to prove the hole happened first, and B) the warranty is supposed to be pro-rated based on mileage, and I was 10k into a 25k warranty.

Given that experience, should I ever need to make a warranty claim in the future and the car itself is say, 10k miles past the warranty period based on when one set was installed, I have no doubt I could just point to the fact that I run winters from Thanksgiving until April, and they'd replace it without issue. I haven't tested this, and hope I won't have to, but I'm 99% certain they'd take care of me.
Old 02-20-19, 08:30 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Costco does not. They charge $20 for an 8-tire/8-wheel swap, when you have a fully dedicated set of winter wheels/tires; or $40 for an 8-tire/4-wheel swap, where they have to peel one set of tires and remount/rebalance the other. This is true even if you bought both sets from them. I used to take it to them anyway, but lately have just found it easier to do it myself.

As far as the thread title is confirmed, that's one thing I'm definitely not worried about with Costco. They go above and beyond with their tire warranties. Last year I got a flat (pinhole slow leak in the sidewall) in a bad part of town at night. So rather than wait for a tow, I drove on the flat probably 2.5 miles (at very low speed) to find a gas station to fill it up with enough air to get home (TPMS warning came back on as I turned onto my street). Costco replaced the tire at no charge, even though A) driving on the sidewall put wear right over the pinhole, thus no way to prove the hole happened first, and B) the warranty is supposed to be pro-rated based on mileage, and I was 10k into a 25k warranty.

Given that experience, should I ever need to make a warranty claim in the future and the car itself is say, 10k miles past the warranty period based on when one set was installed, I have no doubt I could just point to the fact that I run winters from Thanksgiving until April, and they'd replace it without issue. I haven't tested this, and hope I won't have to, but I'm 99% certain they'd take care of me.
+1, the Costco tire warranty has come in handy once for me now. I had a slow leak due to a nail, and they charged me nothing. I also have the road hazard coverage from my dealership as well though, so either way I am covered. The dealership confirmed they would do repairs even with non-OE tires.
Old 02-20-19, 09:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29

Cool....I'm planning on getting Pilot A/S 3+'s from Costco later this year for the LS430, and I will be in this boat. The Xice Xi3's are from tirerack. I never gave the tire warranties a second thought, but now, with the 8.5/32 etc., and based on the forum, it is much more likely for a tire to be replaced pro-rata under warranty these days...I do the 8 tires/8 wheels myself. Not sure if there is any other way they can document (what if they somehow see the car one day to the next and document), and not sure if 4 tires can even fit in the LS.