Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 GMC Acadia

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19 | 10:58 AM
Hoovey689

Default 2020 GMC Acadia

Refresh brings a new engine and AT4 trim level

It's mid-cycle refresh time for the GMC Acadia, and the updated 2020 model kicks off its changes with a new face. It has a square-jawed grille seemingly pulled straight off the Sierra full-size pickup, and the size is amplified by the slender new LED headlights on either side. At the rear, the LED taillights are taller and more chiseled. A new AT4 trim level adds more visual distinction with black trim and wheels, plus all-terrain tires to make it a little more capable off road. The AT4 also boasts standard all-wheel drive.

Under the revised skin, the Acadia hides one of two carryover engines, or a new turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4. This new engine makes 230 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque with the help of a twin-scroll turbocharger. To make it more frugal, it's able to deactivate two of its four cylinders. The turbo engine is standard issue on the SLT and Denali trim levels. The carryover engines include a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter 4-cylinder making 193 horsepower and 188 pound-feet of torque, and a naturally aspirated 3.6-liter V6 making 310 horsepower and 271 pound-feet of torque. The V6 is standard equipment on the AT4 trim.

No matter the engine, all 2020 Acadias get a 9-speed automatic transmission. The new transmission also ditches the current Acadia's mechanical shift lever in favor of an electronic shifter with the Terrain's mix of buttons and triggers. It does free up space between the seats, but the button arrangement is still as strange as it was when we first saw it in the smaller crossover.

There are a handful of other little upgrades to mention. The suspension has been revised for greater comfort; the infotainment has been revised with a bigger screen, USB-C inputs and customizable profiles; and wireless phone charging is now an option. The updated Acadia goes on sale this fall.
Source
Old 02-20-19 | 11:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Very handsome vehicle inside and out. I really like the styling and interior...especially with the Denali trim in the posted image. The only fly in the ointment might be the 9-speed automatic. GM may not have that transmission perfected yet.....it has had some issues in other FWD/AWD vehicles, but not as many as the FCA 9-speed from ZF.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-19 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-20-19 | 12:08 PM
Hoovey689

The Denali exterior looks good IMO. The interior regardless of trim looks a little too plasticky for my taste.
Old 02-20-19 | 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Denali exterior looks good IMO. The interior regardless of trim looks a little too plasticky for my taste.

It's difficult to find interiors of almost any kind today (certainly among mass-produced vehicles) without a fair amount of plastic. Much of what passes for interior chrome, brushed-metal, and wood-tone is actually plastic with an artificial finish on it. To get real wood, chrome, and/or aluminum instead of plastic usually requires a lot more $$$$$.

What do you think of the shift-buttons? They seem to have gotten their share of criticism from some reviewers, but, personally, I like them. And, with the way GMC does them (horizontal, lower-dash), you are less likely to hit the engine start/stop button by mistake, which has been a problem in some Lincolns and their vertical-stack.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-20-19 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-20-19 | 12:57 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's difficult to find interiors of almost any kind today (certainly among mass-produced vehicles) without a fair amount of plastic. Much of what passes for interior chrome, brushed-metal, and wood-tone is actually plastic with an artificial finish on it. To get real wood, chrome, and/or aluminum instead of plastic usually requires a lot more $$$$$.
Yes, but some hide it much better than others. Point in case, the huge silver trim around the navigation on this Acadia looks bad. Supposed to look like brushed aluminum, but comes out dull and cheap. Add the dark gray plastic bezel around the navigation itself and this look is no good IMO. The bezel around the passenger window switch looks pretty poor too.

The shift buttons looks sorta cheap IMO too, but more so the design than the actual material in this case. I miss those GM column mounted shifters

Last edited by Hoovey689; 02-20-19 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-20-19 | 01:03 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I like it.
Old 02-20-19 | 03:22 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I agree. GM kicks the can down the road on addressing interior woes, yet again.

Originally Posted by mmarshall

What do you think of the shift-buttons? They seem to have gotten their share of criticism from some reviewers, but, personally, I like them. And, with the way GMC does them (horizontal, lower-dash), you are less likely to hit the engine start/stop button by mistake, which has been a problem in some Lincolns and their vertical-stack.
Using plastics is standard. But with all the cars you test drive, you know probably better than most of us, that there can be a vast difference in the quality of plastics that are used. Some look/feel good; some don't. I don't think that Acadia interior looks good. And either they are using cheesy wood-look plastic, or really bad looking wood.

AND, for the price of a top of the line Denali trim, GMC had better be using the higher quality stuff to be competitive.

At the Philly auto show, I was comparing compact crossovers. It took me about 3 seconds of sitting in an Equinox to cross that off my list (yes--I know that is not in the same class as the Acadia). The Equinox interior was far below the quality of direct competitors. And the Terrain Denali, for $3-4K more than the Equinox, was NO better.

Last edited by tex2670; 02-20-19 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-20-19 | 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
Using plastics is standard. But with all the cars you test drive, you know probably better than most of us, that there can be a vast difference in the quality of plastics that are used.
Oh, definitely. I wasn't implying any different. But looks and feel don't always go hand-in-hand.

I don't think that Acadia interior looks good. And either they are using cheesy wood-look plastic, or really bad looking wood.

AND, for the price of a top of the line Denali trim, GMC had better be using the higher quality stuff to be competitive.
For the price of a top-line Denali. yes, there could be a little more wood-tone trim.
Old 02-20-19 | 04:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Decent updates on an attractive SUV, but the Denali front now has a smiley face.
Still not a fan of the button shifters. Nothing is faster and safer than whacking your hand on a handle and getting into a gear quickest.
As far as all interiors using plastic, of course. But some pull it off the basics much better than others. Stating "you have to use plastics to make an interior" is not an excuse.