Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What will be the next sedan to be eliminated from the US market?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 08:52 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,627 Likes on 1,038 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I always do a double-take when I see a newer RLX. They are a pretty niche class of vehicle at the moment. Tweener midsize/fullsize FWD-based sedan? Yeah not sure about that. I guess the Maxima also falls into that space, but it's significantly cheaper and less luxury-oriented.

I agree with the Q70 going out as well. Infiniti seems not to be investing a lot in it. I think the Q50 is very much sticking around, by contrast. It is one of Infiniti's best sellers, outselling everything except the QX60. The Q70 sold just 4479 units in 2018. Admittedly, even the GS beat it.
I think the RLX is a great looking car, but it just doesn't compete well in its segment.

I've read the Q50 will be moving to a FWD platform next, but regardless, will be sticking around.
Old 02-26-19, 10:52 AM
Shaummy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd say one of the Maseratis.
Hope not! I love my Ghibli and would buy another.
Old 02-26-19, 11:05 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I don't know what will get the axe next, but I can tell you that this morning traffic was really bad on the highway so I took surface street all the way to work and I passed by 3 Ford dealerships and the only vehicles on their lots were F-150/F-250 Trucks, Explorers, and Edge's Not a car to be found except 1 or 2 Mustang's on the show platforms, and I suspect only because the platforms are too small for the Trucks.
Old 02-26-19, 11:53 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My guess is that the MKZ will be dumped because it is on a version of the Fusion platform and there is little reason to continue that platform for such a small volume sedan. The Continental is also subject to this same issue, but it could migrate to the new CD6 platform if Ford wants to keep a sedan in the Lincoln line-up. Putting the Continental on the Aviator platform could make some sense with the common running gear and powertrain. With Kia trending toward more sporty, the current Cadenza probably doesn't fit.
Old 02-26-19, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
My guess is that the MKZ will be dumped because it is on a version of the Fusion platform and there is little reason to continue that platform for such a small volume sedan. The Continental is also subject to this same issue, but it could migrate to the new CD6 platform if Ford wants to keep a sedan in the Lincoln line-up. Putting the Continental on the Aviator platform could make some sense with the common running gear and powertrain. With Kia trending toward more sporty, the current Cadenza probably doesn't fit.
The Cadenza, IMO, is one sedan that Kia should keep....to drop it would be foolhardy. It (and Toyota's Avalon) will likely pick up some of the buyers disillusioned by GM and Ford dropping their big sedans. Without the Cadenza, Avalon, and Genesis G80, they simply will have no other place to go in that size/price range.
Old 02-26-19, 12:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

The Cadenza, IMO, is one sedan that Kia should keep....to drop it would be foolhardy. It (and Toyota's Avalon) will likely pick up some of the buyers disillusioned by GM and Ford dropping their big sedans. Without the Cadenza, Avalon, and Genesis G80, they simply will have no other place to go in that size/price range.
Thr Cadenza has been a flop. Probably is gonna be canceled.
Old 02-26-19, 12:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Thr Cadenza has been a flop. Probably is gonna be canceled.

You're not getting my point. Cadenza sales will probably pick up after GM and Ford drop all their big sedans. If Kia drops the Cadenza, they will just compound GM and Ford's foolishness.

If no more Lacrosse, it will definitely be on my consideration-list next time around.
Old 02-26-19, 12:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

You're not getting my point. Cadenza sales will probably pick up after GM and Ford drop all their big sedans. If Kia drops the Cadenza, they will just compound GM and Ford's foolishness.

If no more Lacrosse, it will definitely be on my consideration-list next time around.
Realistically how much would sales possibly increase? With 151 Cadenzas sold in January if sales tripled they'd be at 450 in the US. Not enough to sustain a model.
Old 02-26-19, 02:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Realistically how much would sales possibly increase? With 151 Cadenzas sold in January if sales tripled they'd be at 450 in the US. Not enough to sustain a model.
So I looked up the Cadenza, its made in South Korea, so it does not matter if they sell a lot or few.

I know you are big fan of KIA, but the sales are very low. Almost irrelevant. Large cars in the US are not selling. The only brand large car that grew in sales was the Lexus ES. Large cars are like CD players while cross overs are like iPhones. People do not want large cars in America.
Old 02-26-19, 03:22 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

So I looked up the Cadenza, its made in South Korea, so it does not matter if they sell a lot or few.

I know you are big fan of KIA, but the sales are very low. Almost irrelevant. Large cars in the US are not selling. The only brand large car that grew in sales was the Lexus ES. Large cars are like CD players while cross overs are like iPhones. People do not want large cars in America.
If we're talking about the next sedan to possibly be eliminated from the US market, it certainly does matter if they sell a lot or a few. Kia could keep the Cadenza in other markets if sales warrant, and drop it for the US. At the current rate in the US their worldwide sales wouldn't suffer much.

This is an interesting thread. It would be interesting readdress it every now and then.
Old 02-26-19, 07:34 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sonata, Optima, and Malibu all still sell well. There shouldn't be any reason to drop them assuming there's a profit margin on them which there likely is. Ford is dropping the Fusion because for some reason they can't figure out how to turn a profit on it even though it's one of the best selling mid-size cars! Such a disgrace that a strong seller would be axed. Isn't it built in Mexico and they can't profit? While foreign brands build with US labor and profit.

As for Mazda 6, I think Mazda will stick with it even though it's a slow seller in the class. It does indeed matter where cars are built that determine viability in the US. Mazda 6 is built in Japan and is sold worldwide with sales that add up to a very worthwhile amount of units. Cars that are being dropped are models that sold most of their units in the US.

Not to mention that Mazda 6 is best in class along with the Accord in terms of overall ratings while looking way the hell better than the Accord and every other competitor.
Old 02-26-19, 07:55 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Passat can be dropped. They sell those in other markets. Most people by Jettas.
Sonata could go too. Hyundai's big deal is new SUVs and getting Genesis finally going. Plenty of Korean luxe available with G series sedans.
Malibu/Impala - fleet sales. If these show a downard trend, then they can go too.
Kia - Cadenza can go too. Too few buyers. It sells in Korea anyways. Optima can hang for awhile as a placeholder even though it's a completely different vehicle.
Mazda 6. They finally got around to offering this with the motor it should have had a long time ago and with AWD. But it doesn't sell in big enough numbers. The best sporty sedan of the bunch.

Meanwhile Camry and Altima can grab some extra market share if the others tap out and give up. Accord screwed up its styling and went turbo while Honda gave Civic all the value buying power.

Basically auto makers are cutting sedans in favor of SUVs (yes we know Captain Obvious, they replied). It's like the late 90s Simpson episode "Bart Star" and its crazy credits ending. Homer cuts almost the entire production team as he rambles on telling everybody, they didn't make the team.

Last edited by MattyG; 02-26-19 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Kia - Cadenza can go too. Too few buyers. It sells in Korea anyways.
Nope. Strongly disagree. It stands to pick up a number of sales from the discontinued Ford and GM large sedans. If THEN, after the domestic large sedans are gone, for a while, it doesn't pick up sales, THEN maybe they can think about dropping it.
Old 02-26-19, 08:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MattyG
Passat can be dropped. They sell those in other markets. Most people by Jettas.
Sonata could go too. Hyundai's big deal is new SUVs and getting Genesis finally going. Plenty of Korean luxe available with G series sedans.
Malibu/Impala - fleet sales. If these show a downard trend, then they can go too.
Kia - Cadenza can go too. Too few buyers. It sells in Korea anyways. Optima can hang for awhile as a placeholder even though it's a completely different vehicle.
Mazda 6. They finally got around to offering this with the motor it should have had a long time ago and with AWD. But it doesn't sell in big enough numbers. The best sporty sedan of the bunch.

Meanwhile Camry and Altima can grab some extra market share if the others tap out and give up. Accord screwed up its styling and went turbo while Honda gave Civic all the value buying power.

Basically auto makers are cutting sedans in favor of SUVs (yes we know Captain Obvious, they replied). It's like the late 90s Simpson episode "Bart Star" and its crazy credits ending. Homer cuts almost the entire production team as he rambles on telling everybody, they didn't make the team.
What a great post
Old 02-26-19, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

What a great post
I'd like to see your reaction if Toyota announced they were dropping the North-American-market Corollas.

Quick Reply: What will be the next sedan to be eliminated from the US market?