Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Peugeot Returning to the US

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 08:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Default Report: Peugeot Returning to the US

Giddy.

Source

French car company PSA's plans for reentering the U.S. market are finally starting to materialize. The company will lead its North American efforts with the Peugeot brand, a name that many Americans may recognize from the French car company's last stint in the U.S. market, which ended in 1991. PSA hasn't presented an official timeline for when it plans to start selling Peugeot cars here again, but Automotive News reports that the company has discussed 2026.

PSA first announced a plan to return to the U.S. in 2016 and has slowly been fleshing out its future here. After it launched a car-sharing app here called Free2Move, reports began circulating that PSA was homologating its vehicles for the U.S. market, including looking into adhering to our safety and emissions standards. PSA also acquired General Motors' European brand Opel in 2017. Automotive News reports that PSA CEO Carlos Tavares said that the U.S.-bound Peugeot vehicles will be built in both Europe and China. PSA is also deploying other brands to new global markets, including Citroën in India and Opel in Russia.

It's too early to tell at this point what Peugeot's lineup in the States will look like, but we can look at what it sells elsewhere to get an idea of its range of vehicles. The 2008, 3008, and 5008 crossover models seem like fair bets to come here, although given the timing it will likely be the next generation of these vehicles that we get. The attractive 508 sedan and station wagon (pictured above) look like they could be savvy competitors to the likes of the Audi A4, and the new Peugeot 208 small hatchback fits in well with PSA's initiative towards electrified models, as it offers a fully electric variant.

Stay tuned for more information to come about Peugeot's return to our shores.
Old 02-26-19, 10:05 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I see a good amount of modern Peugeots when I go through Korea. I think they look good! Haven't driven one, but they're seemingly nice to look at.

Wonder what Ford will say about the Mustang-esque taillights.

Old 02-26-19, 10:15 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

They should ask Alfa Romeo, Mini and FIAT how they are faring before coming here.
Old 02-26-19, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
They should ask Alfa Romeo, Mini and FIAT how they are faring before coming here.

Mini has actually done quite well in the U.S......though, in general, more so with females than with males.

I haven't test-driven a Peugeot in decades, since they left the U.S. But, if they do come back, I hope they do seats, suspension, and tires like they did 30-40 years ago. Larger Peugeots were the very definition of seat and ride-comfort in the classic French tradition.....along with Citroen. It would be a suitable replacement for the big Cush-Tush Buick sedans which are being dropped.
Old 02-26-19, 03:34 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Great news! Bring them over. The 508 is sweet! .

Old 02-26-19, 07:53 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are they doing in the quality/reliability department these days? They won't stand a chance in the US if they haven't dramatically improved to match at least American brands in terms of reliability. I have serious doubts they have, without researching it. Fiat continues to be a joke for this main reason.

The portfolio would also have to be primarily crossovers and be very compelling. It's a fierce market even for established brands. Ask VW, the 2nd largest automaker in the world, how easy it is to sell cars in the US.
Old 02-27-19, 01:15 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

I get the feeling Peugeot would be another Fiat- very poor reliability. As far as offerings, it appears we already have that SUV in the shape of a Murano and the sedan looks like the all-new Passat.
About the only good thing about the brand is hearing my grandpa trying to pronounce the word.
Old 02-27-19, 06:43 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Liking the interior.
Old 02-27-19, 07:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

they will have to do something radical. if it's me too offerings, they will fail.

mini is of course owned and run by bmw who understands the key is finding a niche which they've done very well with mini.
Old 02-27-19, 08:17 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I wonder who would sell Peugeot is the US? Seems it might be tough to get dealers signed up.
Old 02-27-19, 08:18 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Aside from the sedan, those are some ugly, homely, dull CUV's, vans, hatches. Sedan isn't even all that great.
Old 02-27-19, 09:34 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They'll do well up here in Canada. We have a large French population and still like our small hatchbacks/cars (At least more than you Americans).
Old 02-27-19, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Bring on the 508!
Old 03-01-19, 07:34 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

In my eyes, this is a great mistake from Peugeot. They enter an unfair market, and place themselves in the way of the american law-war machine. I give them 10 to 20 years before they pay an incredible high fine.

And we didn't mentionned this...

And this....

... those are not good condition to enter a market. USA is going away from a stable economy to become some northern Venezuella-Greece, where peoples eat burgers and drive overweight cars.
Old 03-01-19, 07:52 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mini has actually done quite well in the U.S......though, in general, more so with females than with males.

I haven't test-driven a Peugeot in decades, since they left the U.S. But, if they do come back, I hope they do seats, suspension, and tires like they did 30-40 years ago. Larger Peugeots were the very definition of seat and ride-comfort in the classic French tradition.....along with Citroen. It would be a suitable replacement for the big Cush-Tush Buick sedans which are being dropped.
The mini is a sales failure any way you put it. The fact that Peugeot pulled out of the U.S. market before may cause some wariness among buyers. If I spend $40 to $50k on a car, I need to know they will be around in the next 10yrs and not leave me high and dry.

Quick Reply: Report: Peugeot Returning to the US