Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Questions on Audi CPO

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-19, 11:38 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Questions on Audi CPO

I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. Below is copied from Audi website:
  • If Audi New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW) coverage remains at time of Certified pre-owned (CPO) purchase, CPO Limited Warranty Coverage commences upon expiration of NVLW and continues until 5 years from vehicle’s original in-service date with no mileage limitation
  • If New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage has expired at time of CPO purchase, CPO Limited Warranty coverage continues for 12 months with no mileage limitation

The NVLW is 4 years, 50k miles. So if I were looking at a 2016 with 35k miles, it would be 3 years old - which means it has 1 year left under NVLW. Then, I would get 1 more year's worth of warranty as part of the CPO. Is that correct? If yes, can anyone with knowledge or experience buying Audi CPO let me know if you can add additional years (1 or 2 years) to the CPO coverage like you can with Mercedes, etc? Seems strange to buy a 3 year old car, pay a slight premium for CPO, only for the CPO to really only help you for 1 year beyond manufacturer warranty. Very different from Lexus' approach.
Old 02-26-19, 03:40 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, you have to look at the in-service date. There's a high probability that the 2016 you are looking at was purchased in 2015 calendar year. So the 5 year period could be done next year.
Old 02-26-19, 04:46 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. Below is copied from Audi website:
  • If Audi New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW) coverage remains at time of Certified pre-owned (CPO) purchase, CPO Limited Warranty Coverage commences upon expiration of NVLW and continues until 5 years from vehicle’s original in-service date with no mileage limitation
  • If New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage has expired at time of CPO purchase, CPO Limited Warranty coverage continues for 12 months with no mileage limitation
The NVLW is 4 years, 50k miles. So if I were looking at a 2016 with 35k miles, it would be 3 years old - which means it has 1 year left under NVLW. Then, I would get 1 more year's worth of warranty as part of the CPO. Is that correct? If yes, can anyone with knowledge or experience buying Audi CPO let me know if you can add additional years (1 or 2 years) to the CPO coverage like you can with Mercedes, etc? Seems strange to buy a 3 year old car, pay a slight premium for CPO, only for the CPO to really only help you for 1 year beyond manufacturer warranty. Very different from Lexus' approach.
It's not weird--that's how a lot CPO programs work. The 5 years runs from the vehicle's original in-service date (as does the 4-year factory warranty); which should be in your paperwork when you buy the car. So your paperwork will clearly state when the relevant dates.

If you don't think it's worth it, ask if they'll sell it to you as a non-CPO and cut the price.
Old 02-26-19, 06:18 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley

As another user posted, get the official in-service date, as alot of dealerships are fluent in the "punch" game, where a new vehicle is shown as sold for incentives (cars in service date will not match purchase date).
I`d assume you`d get better info on the Audi forums, but the difference between Audi and Lexus CPO generally are minimal.

Lexus follows the same rules, just gives you 2 years rather then 1 additional year (plus the maintenance services which are YMMV). The rules of buying a CPO and used are the same. Make sure you get the service history, PPI.
Old 02-27-19, 05:17 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I can chime in with regard to BMW and GM extended warranties (aka CPO coverage), because I purchased both (foolishly). With BMW, it was just like the Audi quoted above. Meaning, it was 7/100 period, from date of in-service (they also offered 6/70, 6/100, 7/70). This was because the extended warranty was added while the car was still under warranty. Straightforward.

With GM, there is a very complicated matrix where you read tea leaves and do a seance and predict how much you're going to be driving over the next 3+ years. Long story short, is you buy it while you're still under the factory warranty. Then, the mileage you choose (let's say 3 yr./50k), is based upon your prediction, and, it is calculated from the day and the mileage reading, on the day you buy it. So best to wait until the last minute, and hope it is processed correctly (I actually was worried). What's the difference? Well, say your car has a 4/50 (I think Buick and Caddy are that). Your warranty is going to expire because you are coming up on 48 mos., but only have 20,000 miles on the vehicle. You can add time, but adding 50k miles of extended warranty, takes it to 70k, not 100k like in the BMW example. Another guy who drove it to 49,999.9, will pay the same price for the 3/50k, yet he is more risky). It is and it isn't strange how we are fleeced, because plenty don't get the warranty and are not fleeced. Conventional wisdom says never buy a CPO nor an extended warranty, but I consider myself intelligent and bit twice. Completely lost on the BMW as nothing broke, but since lots broke on the GM, I'm like Doug Demuro and can claim I made the right decision (other people say the right decision is to purchase a reliable vehicle instead!).
Old 02-27-19, 06:53 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Thanks, everyone.