Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Jaguar XE

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 07:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

it looks much nicer, problem is when you move to models that people actually buy, it ends up being generic and not even premium, let alone luxury.
Old 03-09-19, 11:00 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you can have the Lucas electronics, but I agree that Jags ceased to be Jags when they dumped the Connally Leather seats and Burled-Walnut dash. Most of their interiors, today, are generally mainstream Germanic....though the XJ is still fairly nice.
You can be nostalgic for old-school Jag interiors all you want; but if brands don't evolve, they fade away. Maybe Jag interior materials are not as quality as they used to be, but I don't know how many buyers in this class are truly looking for burled walnut interiors these days.
Old 03-09-19, 02:03 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Window switches finally moved to a conventional location. And moved the Memory switches to the door panel from where the window switches now are.
Old 03-09-19, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
You can be nostalgic for old-school Jag interiors all you want; but if brands don't evolve, they fade away. Maybe Jag interior materials are not as quality as they used to be, but I don't know how many buyers in this class are truly looking for burled walnut interiors these days.

Granted, the walnut interiors didn't make the car run any better, but it's hard to argue that they were a nice touch, and IMO helped make a Jag a Jag. I understand what you are saying about evolving, but newer doesn't always mean better.
Old 03-10-19, 06:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

The only thing vaguely interesting and nice is the exterior design. The rest is a big dud.
Old 03-10-19, 09:25 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Granted, the walnut interiors didn't make the car run any better, but it's hard to argue that they were a nice touch, and IMO helped make a Jag a Jag. I understand what you are saying about evolving, but newer doesn't always mean better.
You can have nice interiors without traditional old-school Britishness.
Old 03-10-19, 10:39 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Jag built up a image and reputation with nice soft leather, wood, chrome details in their interiors. When they started ditching all that their sales and perception plummeted and the only image and reputation they had left was horribly unreliable poorly built vehicles. It should not be hard to integrate the details that made Jaguar what is in more modern interiors.
Old 03-10-19, 11:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
Jag built up a image and reputation with nice soft leather, wood, chrome details in their interiors. When they started ditching all that their sales and perception plummeted and the only image and reputation they had left was horribly unreliable poorly built vehicles. It should not be hard to integrate the details that made Jaguar what is in more modern interiors.
While I agree, I think the traditional Jag features are incongruous with the space that the XE is trying to compete in. I'm all for nice quality interiors; Audi has done this, but in a way that is in line with the product they are trying to promote.
Old 03-10-19, 12:42 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Well, you can have the Lucas electronics, but I agree that Jags ceased to be Jags when they dumped the Connally Leather seats and Burled-Walnut dash. Most of their interiors, today, are generally mainstream Germanic....though the XJ is still fairly nice.
The last gen infotainment last I checked was a heap of hot garbage (hopefully they fixed this in this v2.0), while the promo vids they launched were pioneering. Either thats leather all over the dash or just soft touch plastics. I`d rather Jag stretch their legs with some open pore wood, metal, carbon fiber etc. They dont need to go burled walnut 90s theme.
Old 03-10-19, 01:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,442 Likes on 1,601 Posts

those ‘details’ and interiors were for guys who smoked cigars, drank port and claret, and generally weren’t ‘slim’

and jaguar was going out of business until it was rescued by tata. Jaguar needed to be modernized. Some of their efforts were too far the other way, with incredibly austere (plain) interiors.

the xe though will never do well in the u.s. in its current form even if they slathered it in walnut, chrome, etc.
Old 03-10-19, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
those ‘details’ and interiors were for guys who smoked cigars, drank port and claret, and generally weren’t ‘slim’
Wrong.....a classic stereotype. Classic Jag interiors were for anyone who liked them....though, sometimes, their price tags were a little too high for some who liked them (and wanted one) but simply couldn't afford them new....or simply didn't want to put up with the constant breakdowns.
Old 04-22-19, 11:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Refreshed 2020 Jaguar XE gets upgraded interior

Design chief Ian Callum says customers weren't big on hard plastics

Jaguar said it listened to feedback — or complaints if you prefer, and want to be more blunt — from customers and even journalists to guide the first midcycle refresh of the XE sports sedan. While it made some exterior tweaks, the biggest changes are inside the cabin.

There, Jaguar did away with hard plastics and added some new technology borrowed from the electric I-Pace, with XE'snew door trims that will eventually serve as a template for all models, with improved ergonomics and more premium, soft-touch materials.

"That was a really big job," says Ian Callum, Jaguar's director of design. "That's more than a normal facelift would normally get. What I think we've done with the interior is bring Jaguar back to its natural level of ambience and luxury. You sit in the car now, it's a great interior. We're really proud of it."

Gone are the hard plastics in favor of new leather on the dash, door panels, seats, head rests and steering wheel. There are also carbon fiber panels around the front and rear door handles and the pistol shifter, which was borrowed from the F-Pace and replaces the previous version's dial shifter. The front-seat leather headrests are embossed with the Jaguar leaper logo, and the stitched-leather seats are a new design.

The new front and rear door panels feature a more ergonomic 360-degree leather pull handle, replacing the previous design that had it as part of the door armrest. There's also a slot down low designed to securely stow reusable water bottles. Callum said the new door panels will appear on all future Jaguar models.

The XE also features a redesigned center console with more storage, a pair of USB ports positioned inside the stowage bin along with an auxiliary power jack, and the second-generation heads-up display has improved graphics. Borrowed from the electric I-Pace is the optional InControl Touch Pro Duo touchscreen, which is kept separate from the climate control screen that retains two dial *****. Also available is a wireless phone charging port, a first for Jaguar, along with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility.

"We've taken something from a much higher car into our small family car, which is the right thing to do," Callum said. "We've got to cascade all that good stuff into our affordable car and try to work around it. It was challenging, because it costs money, but it's what people expect.

"I'm of the belief now that people buy a smaller car not because it's necessarily cheaper, but because they want a smaller car. And that attitude will prevail. It's important that we bring that level of luxury into smaller vehicles."

The XE compact sedan first launched in 2016 as a 2017 model. Callum said the exterior was too similar visually to the larger XF, so the designers added different shapes to the grille and bumpers to make it appear wider and lower, with larger front apertures. They also added new LED head- and taillights, which enabled them to slim them down. Overall, it adds a more muscular appearance to the sports sedan even as it consolidates powertrain options.

The 2020 Jaguar XE goes on sale in the U.S. this summer, starting at $40,895 including destination. It'll also come with the Jaguar EliteCare ownership package that includes perks like a five-year/60,000-mile warranty and complimentary scheduled maintenance.

Source
Old 04-22-19, 11:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't see much improvement, design wise. Still does not look like a luxury car interior to me, don't care for the i Pace interior design at all.
Old 04-23-19, 05:40 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
The reason they dropped the V6 is because it was built by Ford and their contract with them ends in 2020; the rotary shifter was also licensed by Ford until 2020, hence they moved to a traditional auto shifter.
source? i recognize a rotary shifter as being used by ford in the fusion, but where else was one used? and the supercharged 3 liter V6, i am not aware of any ford product that uses that. were these being built exclusively for jaguar?
Old 04-23-19, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

UDel is correct. One can try and spin it any number of different ways, but Jag only hurt themselves when they did away with the traditional wood and leather inside. Now, it's time to start correcting that error.

There are also carbon fiber panels around the front and rear door handles and the pistol shifter, which was borrowed from the F-Pace and replaces the previous version's dial shifter.
Carbon-fiber, I'll admit, can be very nice if done correctly. It's not as warm as the traditional Burled Walnut, but can still be very smart-looking.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-19 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 Jaguar XE