Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Polestar 2 fastback

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 09:06 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by MDlexus
I've been reading and watching new reviews coming out almost every day. As I mentioned, in a previous post a while back, I continue to be very interested in this car.
My current lease, a fully loaded 2018 S90 T8, ends next June. I have to say, the last 2 years have been very enjoyable in the T8. I can't wait to test drive this car. This will most likely be my next vehicle. I've had GS 450h, Infiniti M35h, Q70h, and T8. Next obvious choice would be full electric. In my opinion, it looks much nicer than the Tesla, hands down. Anyone else as interested in this car??
The reviews on this car are very good. I hope its hugely popular as it seems a genuinely strong attempt at building a strong EV. The track pack doesn't seem like its worth it...just adds a ton of cost and only improves suspension. The Android based infotainment seems very nice. I'd definitely like to test drive this after the pandemic ends.
Old 08-20-20, 09:10 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I have no doubt it'll be popular, so long as Volvo doesn't botch the brand and dealership rollout like Genesis, or suffer from battery supply issues. For all intents and purposes, the Polestar 2 is a compact crossover (sits on the same platform as the XC40) and has a higher ride height and liftback.
Old 08-20-20, 07:12 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Kudos to Alex for filming this with the wildfires nearby:

Old 08-21-20, 11:10 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd buy one if I was in the market simply because it isn't a Model 3. I've seen so many around its basically turned into a rolling anonymous blob every time I see one.
Old 08-21-20, 01:42 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Once again great review by Alex. Nice small vehicle except I don't like the tunnel down the center, it seems to ruin the back seat space.

However as long as it's built in China it's a deal breaker for me.

Old 08-21-20, 01:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Once again great review by Alex. Nice small vehicle except I don't like the tunnel down the center, it seems to ruin the back seat space.

However as long as it's built in China it's a deal breaker for me.
Do you also not buy iPhones, Lenovos, and other China made products? The other difference is that Polestar is actually Chinese owned and not just built but I guess you avoid Volvos as they too are now owned by Geely who also owns Lotus.
Old 08-21-20, 03:04 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
Do you also not buy iPhones, Lenovos, and other China made products? The other difference is that Polestar is actually Chinese owned and not just built but I guess you avoid Volvos as they too are now owned by Geely who also owns Lotus.
The point is not buying something that can purchased in the USA made by American workers when you have a choice.
Old 08-21-20, 03:20 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The point is not buying something that can purchased in the USA made by American workers when you have a choice.
But most of the Lexus is made in Japan. Shouldn't you be buying a Caddy then I think the Acura RDX is also made in the US
Old 08-21-20, 03:21 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

With that requirement, you've killed off every Lexus ever made except certain versions of the ES from 2016 to present.
Old 08-21-20, 07:57 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by EZZ
But most of the Lexus is made in Japan. Shouldn't you be buying a Caddy then I think the Acura RDX is also made in the US
Well, I do own a Cadillac XT4 made in the heart of America in Kansas City, Kansas, thank you. Besides Japan Is our Ally unlike Communist China. The last Lexus I owned was built in Canada.
Old 08-21-20, 08:09 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Originally Posted by Motorola
With that requirement, you've killed off every Lexus ever made except certain versions of the ES from 2016 to present.
Not really, I'm against anything built in China. I've owned 4 different Lexus in the past but they no longer offer anything I'm interested in unless they come out with a redesigned NX hybrid Prime.
Old 10-01-20, 06:21 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Not a good way to start off a fledgling EV brand.

Dozens Of Polestar 2 Owners Claim Fault Makes Their Cars Undriveable

Carup states that owners are reporting a fault with the drive system that prevents the car from being driven, forcing individuals to have their EVs towed to local workshops. One owner by the name of Tobias Åkeblom from Lulea in Sweden claims that his Polestar 2 broke down the day right after delivery. He told the Swedish publication that his car has been sitting in a repair shop for more than 30 days.

It is claimed that some of the issues experienced by owners relate to the vehicle’s 12-volt battery and, in total, more than 30 owners are reporting the same issue. Polestar 2 owners forced to take their cars into repair shops state that they have been provided with loan cars while repairs are carried out.
Old 10-07-20, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 2021 Polestar 2 gets EPA electric car range rating of 233 miles

Polestar all-electric's number doesn't quite match up to the Tesla Model 3

The EPA has rated the 2021 Polestar 2 electric sedan at 233 miles of total range, falling shy of the basic Tesla Model 3 (250 miles) and slotting in on the lower end of small EVs on the market today.

At 181 inches long, the Polestar 2 is on the compact end of the electric car spectrum, especially for a European offering. In terms of interior space, some of the most comparable alternatives are the Chevrolet Bolt EV (259 miles), Hyundai Kona EV (258 miles) and Nissan Leaf (226 miles). Sister company Volvo's new XC40 Recharge checks in with just 208 miles of total range, though it rides on the same fundamental platform as the Polestar 2.

The Polestar 2's real advantage over those competitors (notwithstanding the XC40) is all-wheel drive. Stepping up to the Model 3 Performance (299 miles) or Long Range (322 miles) will get you a second motor (and quite a bit more range, obviously), but at a not-insignificant price penalty. However, considering that every vehicle we've mentioned here is a good bit cheaper than the Polestar 2, griping about the cost of a Model 3 Long Range, which is still cheaper than the 2, seems silly.

Fortunately, the Polestar 2 has quite a bit more going for it. Thanks to its Volvo roots, the sedan has quite the swanky interior, and its sporty chassis was engineered to be fun to drive. There's even an optional performance package with Brembo four-piston brakes, 20-inch lightweight alloy wheels wrapped in Continental rubber, and manually adjustable Öhlins dampers.

The number of all-electric sport sedans is quite limited for the time being, which may give the Volvo-derived Polestar a little extra push. For those who need the most practicality from their electrics, however, it may be worthwhile to look elsewhere.
Source
Old 03-02-21, 08:09 AM
MDlexus
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Test drove the Polestar 2 two days ago. I've been wanting to drive this thing for quite some time. Just go on their website and schedule the test drive. They come right to your house.
The test drive solidified my decision in making this my next car.
The car I drove did NOT include the performance pack, but did have 20 inch wheels. I was not interested in the PP anyway since it doesn't do anything in terms of acceleration. Also, I would think the ride would be way too firm.
The only option I would get would be the leather interior. The vegan interior isn't bad at all, but would much prefer the ventilated beige leather seating.
The fit and finish is top notch, like my current S90 T8.
Driving it was a blast. The acceleration is quite quick, but not as quick as the Tesla performance, likely to due it's extra heft.
Extremely quiet interior. As per reviews, quieter than the Tesla.
Smooth, tight ride. Did not experience any 'floaty' ride like my Volvo.
The one pedal driving is amazing and is very easy to get used to as well. I did not use the brakes once during my test drive. So I see no reason for the Brembo brakes since you'll never use them. Unless you would want the suspension setup of the PP.
The only negative I really have with the car is the Harman Kardon stereo. It doesn't come close to the Bowers and Wilkins in the Volvo.

Has anyone else test driven this car?

Last edited by MDlexus; 03-02-21 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-02-21, 08:15 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MDlexus
Test drove the Polestar 2 two days ago. I've been wanting to drive this thing for quite some time. Just go on their website and schedule the test drive. They come right to your house.
The test drive solidified my decision in making this my next car.
The car I drove did NOT include the performance pack, but did have 20 inch wheels. I was not interested in the PP anyway since it doesn't do anything in terms of acceleration. Also, I would think the ride would be way too firm.
The only option I would get would be the leather interior. The vegan interior isn't bad at all, but would much prefer the ventilated beige leather seating.
The fit and finish is top notch, like my current S90 T8.
Driving it was a blast. The acceleration is quite quick, but not as quick as the Tesla performance, likely to due it's extra heft.
Extremely quite interior. As per reviews, quieter than the Tesla.
Smooth, tight ride. Did not experience any 'floaty' ride like my Volvo.
The one pedal driving is amazing and is very easy to get used to as well. I did not use the brakes once during my test drive. So I see no reason for the Brembo brakes since you'll never use them. Unless you would want the suspension setup of the PP.
The only negative I really have with the car is the Harman Kardon stereo. It doesn't come close to the Bowers and Wilkins in the Volvo.

Has anyone else test driven this car?
Its much closer to acceleration to the Model 3 Long-range with both around low 4s figures (Performance is about a full second faster). How was the Android infotainment system? I hear its pretty responsive...does it come with an App store? Also, does it come with a recommended maintenance schedule? I think the Polestar is very nice and the only thing I wish it had was about 100 more EPA miles and faster charging. After you own a car with 1 pedal driving, everything else seems archaic.

Quick Reply: Polestar 2 fastback