Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Polestar 2 fastback

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 10:51 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Polestar 2 fastback

Clean design, 408 hp and 487 lb-ft, and a 275-mile driving range

Polestar, the electrified automaker spun off from Volvo, wowed us in 2017 with its first vehicle at its reveal in Shanghai. Polestar 1, as the plug-in hybrid was called, was a stunning coupe with 600 horsepower and 737 pound-feet of torque. Back then, the company was already dropping details about its next car, a less-expensive sedan with an all-electric powertrain. Since then, we've heard more details and even got a little teaser of the car. Now, the wait is over, and Polestar has taken the wraps off of the Polestar 2 fastback ahead of its appearance at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show.

Meant to be more widely offered and attainable than the Polestar 1, the 2 will be priced around $63,000 for the launch edition before any federal or local tax incentives. (It will later be offered under Polestar's subscription model.) It will still offer plenty of performance for that price, with its all-wheel-drive electric powertrain providing 408 horsepower and 487 pound-feet of torque. It boasts a 0-62 mph sprint of under 5 seconds.

With exciting driving dynamics being a key component of the Polestar brand, the 2 offers a Performance Pack that adds Öhlins dampers, Brembo brakes, 20-inch forged wheels and sport tires, as well as gold seat belts, brake calipers and valve stem caps.

The Polestar 2 borrows the Compact Modular Architecture platform from its parent company, Volvo. Its 78-kWh battery, comprised of 27 modules, is integrated into the car's floor for ideal interior room and a low center of gravity. Polestar expects an EPA-rated driving range of 275 miles.

The Polestar 2's infotainment system uses Google's Android platform at its foundation, with Google apps and services — like Google Maps, Assistant and Play — built right into it. The centerpiece is an 11-inch touchscreen, as well as a natural voice recognition system. Polestar 2 also uses phone-as-key technology, which can prepare the car for driving as the driver approaches.

We like the look of the Polestar 2, with its clean, architectural design, athletic stance and convenient — and handsome — rear hatch. Inside, there are more of the clean lines and simplicity, with attractive materials, lack of clutter and a digital instrument cluster. No animals were harmed in creating the Polestar 2's interior, as it keeps the green theme with a vegan interior.

"Polestar 2 is our first fully electric car and first volume model. Everything about it has been designed and engineered with passion and dedication," said Polestar CEO Thomas Ingenlath. "As an electric performance brand, and through the forthcoming launch of a portfolio of fully electric cars, Polestar is determined to address the world's air quality challenges. Polestar delivers electric performance cars that are great to own and drive."

The Polestar 2 will first be offered in the U.S., Canada, China, the U.K., Belgium, Germany, Holland, Norway and Sweden. Polestar plans to follow this model up with an electric crossover called the Polestar 3, which we can expect to see unveiled next year.
Source
Old 07-10-19, 08:02 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Default 2020 Polestar 2 will have an optional performance package

We have a number of key details about the 2020 Polestar 2 electric sports sedan, such as how powerful it is and how expensive it will be to start. But there are plenty of other minor details left to uncover. One that trickled out today is that the Polestar 2 will have an available performance pack.

This revelation first came to our attention when Ohlins, the company that makes the stunningly smooth, if stiff, shocks for the Volvo S60 T8 Polestar Engineered and other Polestar Engineered Volvos, announced it would be supplying adjustable shocks for the Polestar 2's performance package. That's a pretty sweet upgrade in and of itself, but since it's part of a package, there was surely more. We reached out to Polestar and learned the package also includes more powerful Brembo brakes, stickier tires, forged wheels, and some Polestar trim pieces such as yellow seatbelts like in the aforementioned S60 Polestar Engineered.

Exact details on the package, such as the size of the brakes and tires, along with the make of tires, are still in the air. The price hasn't been finalized yet, either, but Polestar's representative said the package would cost about $5,000. The only finalized price for the Polestar 2 so far is for the Launch Edition, which starts at $63,000, meaning one with the package will be about $68,000. But we have previously learned that there will be cheaper, shorter range models starting from about $44,000. Polestar hasn't said whether the package will be available on these base models, but we expect that there will be at least one less costly trim to which the package can be added.
Source
Old 07-10-19, 10:02 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

that is a pretty incredible car.
Old 07-10-19, 10:45 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Model 3 and Polestar 2 should be a fun match-up
Old 07-10-19, 10:47 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
In what way? The looks?
Old 07-10-19, 01:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
In what way? The looks?
Looks, specs, the fact that unlike a model 3 it has gauges in front of the driver.
Old 07-10-19, 01:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I really like the interior...Volvo makes great interiors. It seems pretty expensive though as the Performance Model 3 tops around $67k with Full Self Drive ($61k without). Also, Polestar 2 estimated 0-60 is less than 5 seconds...Given the model 3 has more range with a smaller battery pack and faster 0-60 (3.2 seconds), the Volvo motors are probably weak sauce compared to the Tesla. Tesla motors have proven to be the most powerful and most efficient by far yet and seems the Polestar 2 won't be close. The Supercharger network is also the only thing negating range anxiety so don't think it will make much of a dent in US sales.
Old 07-10-19, 02:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,061 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Looks, specs, the fact that unlike a model 3 it has gauges in front of the driver.
Ha, same. But I have to admit I don't outright hate the Model 3 interior like I did at first.
Old 07-10-19, 03:01 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I drove the last gas Polestar1 last year & it was incredible, looks like the next one will be too!
Old 07-10-19, 05:31 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

63 thousand is a lot of money. A fully loaded Model 3 would be my choice over this if I had to choose, but neither really tickle my fancy
Old 07-11-19, 08:11 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by RXSF
63 thousand is a lot of money. A fully loaded Model 3 would be my choice over this if I had to choose, but neither really tickle my fancy
Why? Seems pretty normal today. An E300 like yours starts at $53,500. And most will be over $60K with 241hp and 6.2sec 0-60.
Old 07-11-19, 10:32 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Why? Seems pretty normal today. An E300 like yours starts at $53,500. And most will be over $60K with 241hp and 6.2sec 0-60.
What's the size of this car? For some reason, it looks comparable to a C class/IS/3 series size to me, and not a midsized car. Looking at this car, my E class has way more presence and a better interior than this. Of course, power aside, but I dont mind my turbo 4
Old 07-12-19, 07:47 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

What's the size of this car? For some reason, it looks comparable to a C class/IS/3 series size to me, and not a midsized car. Looking at this car, my E class has way more presence and a better interior than this. Of course, power aside, but I dont mind my turbo 4
Looks like a tweener like the 1st and 2nd gen CTS.

I'll agree the E-Class has a better interior when you get leather or nappa leather (MB Tex still looks and feels cheap to me), but the Polestar 2 has far more presence with it's unique design. The E-Class just looks like most Benz sedans (small, medium, large).
Old 07-12-19, 07:15 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The specifications I found suggest that this is a small (compact) car, about the size of a Corolla.

Old 07-12-19, 07:48 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
The specifications I found suggest that this is a small (compact) car, about the size of a Corolla.

Really?! Must be quite the porker as it only has 275 miles of range with a 78kWh battery. It says 0-60 in under 5. All signs point to quite a heavy car.

Quick Reply: Polestar 2 fastback