Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Elon keeps promise of $35K Model 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19 | 06:58 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

The bare minimum Tesla takes out some features that add value (re navigation interface, etc), however builds in capability for over the air updates of autopilot and full self driving capability (a $10k value later down the road, or $7k value at order). The $35k configuration isn't for me.

It is refreshing to see them to go full 100% online ordering. Ordering your car in less than 1 minute is simply brilliant.
Old 03-01-19 | 07:42 AM
situman
Pole Position

I'm not sure I would spend that much money on a product sight unseen or a test drive. Will they still have service centers that part I missed.
Old 03-01-19 | 11:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by situman
I'm not sure I would spend that much money on a product sight unseen or a test drive. Will they still have service centers that part I missed.
they will still have dealerships i think but will get rid of the stores only... like those they had in malls, etc.
Old 03-01-19 | 12:50 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by spwolf
they will still have dealerships i think but will get rid of the stores only... like those they had in malls, etc.
Other way around. Dealers are going away and certain mall 'galleries' are staying around. They're offering 7 day / 1,000 mile trials instead
Old 03-01-19 | 01:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by All4Lexus
The bare minimum Tesla takes out some features that add value (re navigation interface, etc), however builds in capability for over the air updates of autopilot and full self driving capability (a $10k value later down the road, or $7k value at order). The $35k configuration isn't for me.
So you have that huge screen and can’t use it for maps on the 35k model?
Old 03-01-19 | 01:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Also, never thought about this until now, but i assume does not offer apple carplay of android auto, right?
Old 03-01-19 | 02:00 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Nope, uses Google Maps data, but Mapbox for routing I believe
Old 03-01-19 | 02:02 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Also, never thought about this until now, but i assume does not offer apple carplay of android auto, right?
Nope, neither are available.

Tesla forums are asking if owners/members would vote for support. Lots of No's
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...carplay-teslas
Old 03-02-19 | 07:05 AM
grabber2
Racer

Finally here. At least he makes it happen and it is a great value at $35K for the base. I prefer the $37K with the Partial premium interior or $40k with the Premium interior.

NY resident still gets $5,750 tax rebate ($3750 Federal + $2000 NY) although it's not $9,500 as I orginally expected.
Old 03-02-19 | 08:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

How does a tesla 3 compare with kia niro ev?

car and driver says people should get the niro ev.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...iro-ev-driven/

Last edited by bitkahuna; 03-02-19 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-02-19 | 09:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This brand I'm afraid will never succeed.

https://business.financialpost.com/t...rop-store-cuts
Old 03-03-19 | 07:13 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by situman
Tesla owners are great ambassadors for the brand. I simply asked to learn more about the Model 3 and Model S from coworkers and all three offered a test drive (LR AWD M3, LR RWD M3, and a MS). I just wanted to check out the interior and take a few measurements. I didn't expect to be able to drive their new car(s)! I am sure more Teslas will show up at your workplace parking lot now that the M3 is more accessible to the masses. Strike up a conversation with a new owner and I bet they will offer an extended test drive. After driving one, I definitely want one...well, maybe not the M3, it is too small for us.

What I don't like is plunking down a non-refundable $2500 for a used Tesla that you can't test drive and must pick up from Fremont if you live on the West coast. You still can't test drive the car during orientation when you finally get to see the car in person. This is the process explained to me by a Tesla owner Advisor that helps you find a used Model from Tesla's used inventory.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-03-19 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-03-19 | 07:43 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

So you have that huge screen and can’t use it for maps on the 35k model?
I believe you have basic navigation, just not live traffic. However, more troublesome (according to owners on the Tesla Motors Club forum) is that the maps data doesn't appear to cache. When you lose cellular connection on the Model 3, the map tiles become blank/gray until reception is restored. Model S/X supposedly do not have this limitation. This Tesla Motors Club thread is from June 2018 so maybe things have changed through a software update.
Old 03-03-19 | 07:43 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Tesla owners are great ambassadors for the brand. I simply asked to learn more about the Model 3 and Model S from coworkers and all three offered a test drive (LR AWD M3, LR RWD M3, and a MS). I just wanted to check out the interior and take a few measurements. I didn't expect to be able to drive their new car(s)! I am sure more Teslas will show up at your workplace parking lot now that the M3 is more accessible to the masses. Strike up a conversation with a new owner and I bet they will offer an extended test drive. After driving one, I definitely want one...well, maybe not the M3, it is too small for us.

What I don't like is plunking down a non-refundable $2500 for a used Tesla that you can't test drive and must pick up from Fremont if you live on the West coast. You still can't test drive the car during orientation when you finally get to see the car in person. This is the process explained to me by a Tesla owner Advisor that helps you find a used Model from Tesla's used inventory.
This is an excellent point. Instead of a store, you have real owners promoting the brand. Does it need any salesmen pressure? No. Teslas change in trying to make dealership model work can evolve to a 21st century service station hubs, which is even more desperately needed with the growing number of Teslas on the road.

Once again, Tesla will be 2-3 years ahead of this curve and traditional dealerships will not be able to complete. Traditional dealerships will need an exciting line up of vehicles that people will buy to stay in business. The online approach cuts out the dealership overhead and the legal issues to make it work in all 50 states. The cost of making it work in all 50 states could very well put Tesla out of business. The wind in their sails is all on line. Good for them to recognize it.
Old 03-03-19 | 09:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Every tesla owner i know is thrilled with it and loves to talk about it. That’s gold.

Quick Reply: Elon keeps promise of $35K Model 3