Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Talk me into, or out of, this situation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-19, 12:09 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I can say my friend got a decked out 535i of the era you're considering (I could be wrong but I believe it still had hydraulic steering), brand new, and he hated it. After a year he began bringing all kinds of interesting demo cars to work. He wouldn't listen to me, left the firm., and through text, told me he did exactly what I suggested. And that was to get a '16 M3 sedan exec pkg stick. He brought one to work and I was like dude this is all you I don't understand the hold up. p.s. the above 535i had every option including really upgraded leather and M sport was terrible per my friend. Not fun in any way to drive.

When the new car excitement is gone, I think that most non M BMWs produced after 2012 are not very good cars to drive (I'm hoping the new 3 has changed that and just take a blind eye to no sticks in the USA). Ask the dealer to loan you a 535i CPO for a few days, they will have no problem with it. You'll see how boring boring can be! And it's fast!

It sounds like you have two fine vehicles right now, so it's a sort of boredom that's compelling a potential change. Don't get something boring in place of the LS460, because now there's no marginal benefit and there's tons of marginal cost. Instead, use the opportunity to get something exciting, that's not a lateral move. my .02

edit clarify on non M above
Interesting about your buddy with the 535. And what I put in bold above is very well said.
Old 03-02-19, 12:10 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
If she wants the bmw, that’s what she should get.
Like the song "Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets" Certainly holds true in our household. Not sure how I always get out-voted when there's only 2 of us voting?
Old 03-02-19, 12:54 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I like where your head is with the E550, but when I search for 2016 I see nothing but coupes (not practical for our situation with kids). When did they stop making the E550 4 door sedan?
hmm... yes it would appear 2014 is the last year they sold it as a sedan in the US, oh well it's still the same car and looks identical
Old 03-02-19, 01:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
dont think someone looking at 5/e/a6 will want a s60.
Disagree....you can't make a statement like that without the person actually seeing the car in person. The S60, however, like most recent Volvos, does have a reputation for a stiff ride....that might put some people off.
Old 03-02-19, 07:14 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Disagree....you can't make a statement like that without the person actually seeing the car in person. The S60, however, like most recent Volvos, does have a reputation for a stiff ride....that might put some people off.
Exactly. You never know what you want till you try things. I like to think I prefer compact-size cars, but I definitely enjoyed driving the G80. So much so that I am still toying with the idea of owning one. Alas...

My only input would be to take your time and keep an open mind. Sounds like this will be a big investment.
Old 03-02-19, 09:30 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

If I had to choose, I'd get the Mercedes. I only say this because in my own experience, Mercedes-Benz seems to make cars with bits and pieces that last longer than the other Euro brands. My personal 2012 BMW 328i sedan was falling apart when I traded it in for the Lexus before 60k miles. My cousin's E-Class, however, is doing wonderfully at 180k miles and is still a head-turner at 15 years old.

I don't know anyone with a positive long term BMW ownership experience. Not one. My maintenance was done twice as often as BMW recommends and I still couldn't prevent the oil leaks, electrical issues, steering rack disintegrating, interior soft-touch coming apart, unused radio buttons cracking down the middle, and other issues. My mom is the only Audi owner I know that was happy with her car but she ended up killing it leaving the sunroof open during a thunderstorm. I know lots of Mercedes owners that buy them car after car and they seem to be able to take wear and tear a bit better than the others.

Another option is to maybe have her take a look at the brand new 330i M Sport? They are beautiful, modern, and as big as a 5-Series was 10 years ago.
Old 03-02-19, 09:41 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
If I had to choose, I'd get the Mercedes. I only say this because in my own experience, Mercedes-Benz seems to make cars with bits and pieces that last longer than the other Euro brands. My personal 2012 BMW 328i sedan was falling apart when I traded it in for the Lexus before 60k miles. My cousin's E-Class, however, is doing wonderfully at 180k miles and is still a head-turner at 15 years old.
i love my 15 year old E class not quite LS 400 quality but overall very good and very comfy seats with almost no rattles
Old 03-03-19, 05:56 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
I don't know anyone with a positive long term BMW ownership experience. Not one.
Pleased to meet you, now you do. My E46 323i was the most perfectly reliable car I've ever had. The only out-of-warranty repairs it needed over 158k miles were the final stage resistor for the blower motor, and the VANOS seals. parts for both were less than $200 total. It also needed all the window regulators replaced under warranty, a common thing on all German cars of that era (including Mercedes) due to defective parts from Bosch. All-in, that car cost me $5500 over 12 years, including fluid changes, brakes, and tires.

The E90 335d that replaced it, with the exception of the atrocious emissions system, has lived up to the expectation set by its predecessor. The only non-emissions repairs it has needed over 96k miles so far has been a glow plug heater module that cost about $300 to replace. Well and some bent/broken aftermarket wheels, but that's due to Chicago's terrible roads, not BMW quality.

I would get another one, but the F30 (2012-2019) is not a real 3-series, and the latest model--which is supposed to get back to the driving dynamics that the 3 is known for--has dropped the manual transmission.
Old 03-03-19, 06:44 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 546 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've read that the Maserati is a complete POS. Random ish just breaks with that car. Id get the A7.
There is also Dodge components on the newer Maserati. Just bring up Doug Demuro's YouTube page, he does a thorough review on one. His review is enough to convince any fair minded person to run from a Maserati!
Old 03-03-19, 11:35 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Buy a new Supra,Cant get anymore BMW then that.
Old 03-03-19, 12:07 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
Buy a new Supra,Cant get anymore BMW then that.
LOL!!!! True!!!!

Old 03-03-19, 12:37 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Why not turo rental all 3 cars for a day and rank em 1-2-3. You would meet real owners and get their feedback. It may end up being the best $300-400 spent to make the car decision go right for the next 4-6 years.
Old 03-03-19, 04:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
There is also Dodge components on the newer Maserati. Just bring up Doug Demuro's YouTube page, he does a thorough review on one. His review is enough to convince any fair minded person to run from a Maserati!
I sometimes wonder why Maserati is even in the American market.
Old 03-03-19, 04:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
Also, the driving experience is also kinda blah from what I've read. Just a status car. The others are better drivers cars too. Sad.
Old 03-03-19, 05:14 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Also, the driving experience is also kinda blah from what I've read. Just a status car. The others are better drivers cars too. Sad.
can happily confirm, I've driven the current gen quattroporte and the giggly, neither are anything too impressive and the V6 sounds bleh the majority of the time

for the same or even less money one could get a faster and nicer driving bmw audi or benz, and in that case you also wouldn't be getting the infotainment and buttons from a dodge dart

Quick Reply: Talk me into, or out of, this situation...