Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Talk me into, or out of, this situation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19, 05:20 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 390 Likes on 264 Posts
Default Talk me into, or out of, this situation...

We own a 2010 LX570 and a 2010 LS460L - I drive the 460 and my wife drives the 570. We've had the 570 for 3 years and the 460 exactly 2 years. My wife is getting the itch to drive something more sporty, nimble, and fun but we need to keep the LX for our family situation. That means that if we make a change I'll inherit the LX (totally good with me - I love that beast) and we will ditch the LS. My wife loves Euro cars, so I don't see me being able to convince her to look at certain things that intrigue me (G80, Stinger, Model 3/S, etc). If we consider Euro mid-size sedans, I'll only by CPO and looking for budget under $45k. Here's her short list:

1) BMW 5 series (likely 535) - 2016 or 2017 - her number 1 choice even though she hasn't driven one (we owned a Z4 before having kids as a fun car and she loved it). She just has a thing for BMW's. In my market, asking price for a CPO 535 with under 30k miles is around $32k (which seems crazy low to me, but whatever)
2) Audi A7 - 2016 (Premium Plus most likely) - from a styling perspective, this is the easy winner for me. Man I love those cars. However, having recently owned an S5 as a 3rd car, I have some bad flashbacks of the random warning lights appearing on the dash (and I put 2,000 miles on it in 12 months). Buying CPO helps ease some of that fear, but there's also some of the inconvenience factor of dealing with issues.
3) E class - both of us are pretty "meh" about that, but would at least go look and drive one. I just don't think it's sporty enough for her (she may like the CLS but not sure pricing on those?)
4) Audi A6- 2016
5) Maserati sedan - we have an inside connection to Maserati and could get a ridiculous deal on a new or lightly used one. Normally wouldn't even think of this but it's an available option for us and the dealership is less than 5 miles from us for service.

What cars am I missing? Anyone have any thoughts? Realistically we would keep it about 2 years and I am pretty dead set on going to an EV after that - I really want the Audi E Tron GT and that's around the time that would come out.
Old 03-01-19, 06:01 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 694 Likes on 436 Posts

If I have learned one thing over the years, it's that when you're shopping for a car primarily for your wife then rule number 1 is that you always go with the car she says she wants, even if it's not the one that you might have chosen.

Rule number 2 is don't forget rule number 1

Get the BMW!
Old 03-01-19, 06:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
What cars am I missing? Anyone have any thoughts?
For 45K, and your wife's apparent fascination with European sports sedans, you might want to take a look at the Volvo S60. In fact, with the S60, you could probably get a brand-new one for 45K or less, and not even have to worry about a CPO to start with. If she wants something a little larger, you can look at a year-old S90.

In general, though, I agree with swajames.....a marriage is more important than a car. If it's a BMW she wants, well............ She may not like the latest BMWs, though, when she samples them. In some ways, having some more mainstream in their design, some of them, especially the non-M models, simply are not the Ultimate Driving Machines they were for decades.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-01-19 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-01-19, 06:04 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Not considering a GS?
Old 03-01-19, 06:46 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
If I have learned one thing over the years, it's that when you're shopping for a car primarily for your wife then rule number 1 is that you always go with the car she says she wants, even if it's not the one that you might have chosen.

Rule number 2 is don't forget rule number 1

Get the BMW!
this is EXACTLY what I have in mind as well.
Old 03-01-19, 07:08 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I've read that the Maserati is a complete POS. Random ish just breaks with that car. Id get the A7.
Old 03-01-19, 07:46 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I've read that the Maserati is a complete POS. Random ish just breaks with that car. Id get the A7.
who cares, keeping it for 2 years with warranty and dealer 5 miles away...they sound and look nice to me!

Old 03-01-19, 07:50 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

as an E class fan, i think a good option to at least take a look at once would be like a 2016 E550, which drives wonderfully and a twin turbo V8 that makes 450 lbs ft at 1600 rpm is more than enough oomph for any situation and sounds great. and idk if you're into any of that, but a mere tune will bring you to essentially AMG power levels which is crazy value i think

the W212 is a pretty solid product and i think looks better than the current generation E class which has gone all round and blobby, plus the E550 can be had as either a coupe or even convertible... and i know from having done it that driving a convertible with V8 sounds going on all around you is quite nice lol

oh yea and definitely don't get a maserati... junk that uses a surprisingly large amount of parts from a dodge dart, my friend's dad leased one and the check engine light was already on within like 2 weeks
Old 03-01-19, 07:52 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
i mean how many times does a company need to go out of business before it can be confidently stated that they're not good haha
Old 03-01-19, 08:04 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For 45K, and your wife's apparent fascination with European sports sedans, you might want to take a look at the Volvo S60. In fact, with the S60, you could probably get a brand-new one for 45K or less, and not even have to worry about a CPO to start with. If she wants something a little larger, you can look at a year-old S90.

In general, though, I agree with swajames.....a marriage is more important than a car. If it's a BMW she wants, well............ She may not like the latest BMWs, though, when she samples them. In some ways, having some more mainstream in their design, some of them, especially the non-M models, simply are not the Ultimate Driving Machines they were for decades.
dont think someone looking at 5/e/a6 will want a s60.

I agree. Go with the bmw
Old 03-01-19, 11:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

If she wants the bmw, that’s what she should get.
Old 03-02-19, 05:02 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

If you're looking at the 5 series, make sure it's an M Sport model. The 5 series is NOT the athletic sports sedan it used to be, so if she's expecting it to be like her Z4, she'll be sorely disappointed. The M sport suspension and brakes will bring some of that fun back.

How big a car does it need to be? The M240i has gotten rave reviews as a driver's car (and many are saying the M2 that is based off of it is the best M car ever made). Might bring back some of that Z4 love. Used 2018s with low miles are listed for $41-42k in my area. Not roomy by any means, but great for 2 and probably tolerable for 3.

Of your list, I agree the A7 would be my choice personally. But as others have said, what you want is irrelevant.
Old 03-02-19, 05:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I can say my friend got a decked out 535i of the era you're considering (I could be wrong but I believe it still had hydraulic steering), brand new, and he hated it. After a year he began bringing all kinds of interesting demo cars to work. He wouldn't listen to me, left the firm., and through text, told me he did exactly what I suggested. And that was to get a '16 M3 sedan exec pkg stick. He brought one to work and I was like dude this is all you I don't understand the hold up. p.s. the above 535i had every option including really upgraded leather and M sport was terrible per my friend. Not fun in any way to drive.

When the new car excitement is gone, I think that most non M BMWs produced after 2012 are not very good cars to drive (I'm hoping the new 3 has changed that and just take a blind eye to no sticks in the USA). Ask the dealer to loan you a 535i CPO for a few days, they will have no problem with it. You'll see how boring boring can be! And it's fast!

It sounds like you have two fine vehicles right now, so it's a sort of boredom that's compelling a potential change. Don't get something boring in place of the LS460, because now there's no marginal benefit and there's tons of marginal cost. Instead, use the opportunity to get something exciting, that's not a lateral move. my .02

edit clarify on non M above

Last edited by Johnhav430; 03-02-19 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-02-19, 12:05 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stroock639
as an E class fan, i think a good option to at least take a look at once would be like a 2016 E550, which drives wonderfully and a twin turbo V8 that makes 450 lbs ft at 1600 rpm is more than enough oomph for any situation and sounds great. and idk if you're into any of that, but a mere tune will bring you to essentially AMG power levels which is crazy value i think

the W212 is a pretty solid product and i think looks better than the current generation E class which has gone all round and blobby, plus the E550 can be had as either a coupe or even convertible... and i know from having done it that driving a convertible with V8 sounds going on all around you is quite nice lol

oh yea and definitely don't get a maserati... junk that uses a surprisingly large amount of parts from a dodge dart, my friend's dad leased one and the check engine light was already on within like 2 weeks
I like where your head is with the E550, but when I search for 2016 I see nothing but coupes (not practical for our situation with kids). When did they stop making the E550 4 door sedan?
Old 03-02-19, 12:07 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Good call on the S60 but I showed her those online and she didn't like the design. I found that odd since she had a S60 T5 about 15 years ago and she loved that car and it treated her very well. Maybe her tastes are changing or she just doesn't dig what they've done to the new designs.

The comments about the 5 series being bland to drive are very consistent and a bit surprising to me. I'm intrigued to drive one and then hear her thoughts as well.

Quick Reply: Talk me into, or out of, this situation...