Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tire air inflator any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 06:08 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tire air inflator any suggestions?

I recently got a few flat tires and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a portable air compressor I could store in the back of my rx 350?
Old 03-03-19, 06:59 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by nightdiff
I recently got a few flat tires and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a portable air compressor I could store in the back of my rx 350?
VIAIR compressors have worked great for us. I started with a 70P model and liked it so much I bought a second one (85P) for the other car. I like to keep a portable air compressor and portable jumpstarter in my trunk. It is a cheaper option than a AAA membership and I don't have to sit around waiting for roadside assistance. I assist myself. The combo has ended up helping over a dozen other friends and strangers more than it has helped us, but good peace of mind.

The VIAIR models are about $50, which is a little higher than I wanted to spend, but if you have any experience with the $20-30 ones from online or Walmart you'll know that the cheap ones can't pump much PSI and take forever to inflate anything and are not durable. The VIAIR 70P we bought in 2013 is still working great, as is the 85P purchased in 2016. Plus, it takes less than 10 minutes to add 3-4 PSI to each tire whereas the cheap compressors took me 30 minutes and were much louder.
Old 03-03-19, 07:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Because small units are so expensive when compared to a real 3 gal compressor to be kept in the garage, I would suggest just getting an oiless 3 gal one from HFT. Do you really find the need to constantly add air while on the road?

This is not $57, coupons are all over the place it's probably in the low $40's....

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-...sor-60637.html
Old 03-03-19, 07:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ive really been liking this one. It was diffcult finding a dual power 12VDC/120VAC with a digital gauge

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-V...tor/1000092575
Old 03-04-19, 04:28 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
VIAIR compressors have worked great for us. I started with a 70P model and liked it so much I bought a second one (85P) for the other car. I like to keep a portable air compressor and portable jumpstarter in my trunk. It is a cheaper option than a AAA membership and I don't have to sit around waiting for roadside assistance. I assist myself. The combo has ended up helping over a dozen other friends and strangers more than it has helped us, but good peace of mind.

The VIAIR models are about $50, which is a little higher than I wanted to spend, but if you have any experience with the $20-30 ones from online or Walmart you'll know that the cheap ones can't pump much PSI and take forever to inflate anything and are not durable. The VIAIR 70P we bought in 2013 is still working great, as is the 85P purchased in 2016. Plus, it takes less than 10 minutes to add 3-4 PSI to each tire whereas the cheap compressors took me 30 minutes and were much louder.
How long does it take if the tire is completely flat? I want something for when I get a nail in my tire while driving I can fill up the tire quickly and take it to the tire shop. This happens quite often in nyc
Old 03-04-19, 05:35 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

btw the HFT compressor is $39.99. If you live in NYC and an apartment, that may not be practical. My experience with portable inflators is that it takes forever and a day, to even inflate a snowblower tire. Have you ever considered a foot pump? That can easily be stored in a trunk and used in a pinch.
Old 03-04-19, 06:07 AM
nightdiff
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
btw the HFT compressor is $39.99. If you live in NYC and an apartment, that may not be practical. My experience with portable inflators is that it takes forever and a day, to even inflate a snowblower tire. Have you ever considered a foot pump? That can easily be stored in a trunk and used in a pinch.
You think the foot pump is quicker?
Old 03-04-19, 06:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

You think the foot pump is quicker?
I'm thinking just convenient nothing to plug in, and can be used for other things like inflating soccer *****, bicycle tires, snowblower tires, etc. Meaning might get usage if you spend the money...so not necessarily quicker, but cheaper, and useful too...
Old 03-04-19, 06:53 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

How long does it take if the tire is completely flat? I want something for when I get a nail in my tire while driving I can fill up the tire quickly and take it to the tire shop. This happens quite often in nyc
Notmally, those cheap portable pumps suck and I completely agree they they take forever. The VIAIR is in a different class. It performs like a much larger floor standing air compressor. I have not aired up a completely flat tire, but did inflate one that was down to 14-15 PSI back to 32 PSI and it only took a minute or two. Don't let the size fool you, it is deceptively strong. I never felt the VIAIR was slow in any situation, whereas previous cheap portable units were agonizingly slow.

This guy in the video is annoying, but says inflating a flat tire took his VIAIR about two minutes.
Old 03-04-19, 07:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
This guy in the video is annoying, but says inflating a flat tire took his VIAIR about two minutes.
1.9 million subscribers!!!!

Old 03-04-19, 08:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
1.9 million subscribers!!!!
How many does ChrisFix have?! That was classy, that guy attacked ChrisFix, who never even responded, and then that guy apologized, and again ChrisFix didn't respond. Hilarious when you don't allow people to drag you down and just keep on keepin' on.
Old 03-04-19, 08:37 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't ordered it yet, but I plan on getting this one:

Amazon Amazon

You can preset the PSI to inflate to and it will automatically shut off when it reaches that preset. It comes with an LED light and two other nozzle adapters, and it has a 10ft cord. It's small and light, and it can take a flat to 35 PSI in maybe 3 mins (based on comments/reviews). And it's only $35.
Old 03-05-19, 10:03 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

I'm thinking just convenient nothing to plug in, and can be used for other things like inflating soccer *****, bicycle tires, snowblower tires, etc. Meaning might get usage if you spend the money...so not necessarily quicker, but cheaper, and useful too...
+1 for this. Been using a bike pump for my tires. However, if they went totally flat I suspect refilling them would be a tedious process.
Old 03-05-19, 10:28 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

As mentioned the full blown 3 gal. HFT is $39.99, but then I saw a portable one for $6.99? lol Seriously imagine if it's just as good as one on amazon for $35. That happens all the time with tools. But my thinking was how often will you really use any device you get, so is there a way to make sure you do other than to have mishaps with flats...
Old 03-05-19, 01:04 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

having dual power is a big feature, i dont want to have to turn on the car to use a air compressor. I dont risk running down a battery to inflate a tire, especially when Im at the house

Quick Reply: Tire air inflator any suggestions?