Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

chinese cars... the coming tsunami

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I don’t see any issues with Chinese EVs - they will sell in US just like Chinese made iPhones, TVs etc.
I see some definite issues. While many Americans are willing to go to Walmart and pay $10 for a cheap alarm clock, or $20 for a cheap coffee machine (like mine LOL) , that's a long way from what new EVs are going to cost. And, though it gets into some political areas that we probably can't discuss in CL, the country's increasingly-publicized human-rights record is also turning off a lot of potential buyers, even though most of the world's attention is focused right now on Russia and the Ukraine.
Old 03-08-22, 08:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Mike, could we do to them what they do to us?

I don't see the fairness in all this?
It should be two ways should it not?
I agree that the fairness is questionable, but, on the other hand, the great Chinese love for Buicks is one reason why the brand still exists here in the U.S. I would not want to see the brand disappear here.......it is already down to just a few crossovers.
Old 03-09-22, 07:47 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chinese EVs coming to the US? They don't even have ICE cars in the US so what makes anyone think that their EVs will have a chance? Good luck to them is all I have to say.
Old 03-10-22, 04:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Driver
They don't even have ICE cars in the US so what makes anyone think that their EVs will have a chance? M
EV are the trending hot topic. So Despite being just 2% of the overall picture, some blogs, some writers really believe every single vehicle will become a battery electric in record time and some believe they work for everyone. Personally, I believe all the EV companies (including the big ICE companies) are in a bubble at the money in respect to EV adopt and when things calm down…we will haven a better understanding of how EVs will fit in the overall picture.
Old 03-10-22, 04:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,432 Likes on 1,595 Posts

gas prices doubling will increase the appeal of electric vehicles. the video i posted showed the large # of chinese ev makers, and tesla is not the #1 in EV sales in china now. the issue with EVs has been supply, not demand, but with gigatexas and berlin coming online, tesla will be able to deliver a ton more vehicles.

chinese vehicles imported into the u.s. are subject to a 27.5% tariff i believe which is a barrier for sure. but there's many ways the chinese tsunami can proceed... not necessarily the obvious way with container ships of chinese cars. it could be through parts and joint ventures. also, chinese parts can be assembled somewhere else and then imported, avoiding the tarriff.

i don't know if the buick envision (made in china) is subject to that tariff.
Old 03-10-22, 07:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gas prices doubling will increase the appeal of electric vehicles. the video i posted showed the large # of chinese ev makers, and tesla is not the #1 in EV sales in china now. the issue with EVs has been supply, not demand, but with gigatexas and berlin coming online, tesla will be able to deliver a ton more vehicles.

chinese vehicles imported into the u.s. are subject to a 27.5% tariff i believe which is a barrier for sure. but there's many ways the chinese tsunami can proceed... not necessarily the obvious way with container ships of chinese cars. it could be through parts and joint ventures. also, chinese parts can be assembled somewhere else and then imported, avoiding the tarriff.

US should put tariffs on Chinese built EVs coming to the US. I think the $12,500 EV credit is for EVs built with US union labour. Messy. And Unfair
Old 03-10-22, 07:27 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Why just China? What about Mexico.
Old 03-10-22, 07:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What about Mexico.
I dunno…maybe
Old 03-10-22, 07:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gas prices doubling will increase the appeal of electric vehicles.
.........until demand for those EVs forces their prices up even more.

In May of 2019, GM was denied a tariff exemption for the Envision. I haven't been able to find any data that supersedes that, and GM is apparently eating the tariff without a big price increase on the Envision.....although, of course, dealership-profits may be a different story.

From wikipedia:

On August 6, 2018, General Motors announced that it might withdraw the Envision from the United States, Canada, and Mexico markets due to the China-United States trade war, should a request to seek a waiver to continue to import the vehicle be denied. GM sought the waiver amid a trade disagreement between the United States and China over tariffs that could hurt the sales of the Envision. The automaker sees the potential exemption as "the only way" to continue offering the vehicle to U.S. consumers, according to GM President Dan Ammann.[19] The exemption was denied on May 29, 2019, but GM has opted to pay the tariffs without raising the price on the vehicle for the time being. Buick is confident that ongoing talks between China and the United States could spare the Envision's future in North America.[20][21]
Old 03-10-22, 08:36 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 463 Likes on 307 Posts

Why just China? What about Mexico.
Does Mexico tax US cars 27.5%?
Why tax vehicles from Mexico?

If China places 27,5% tariff on US vehicles, then US should place the same 27.5% on Chinese vehicles.
Old 03-10-22, 08:41 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Does Mexico tax US cars 27.5%?
Why tax vehicles from Mexico?

If China places 27,5% tariff on US vehicles, then US should place the same 27.5% on Chinese vehicles.
You made my point for me should be a level playing field.
Old 03-10-22, 09:13 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

You made my point for me should be a level playing field.
But does Mexico tariff US cars to 27.5%?
Old 03-10-22, 09:25 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

But does Mexico tariff US cars to 27.5%?
Doubt it, because of NAFTA and other considerations like Ford making cars in Mexico and Ford being pro union.
Old 03-10-22, 11:09 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Doubt it, because of NAFTA and other considerations like Ford making cars in Mexico and Ford being pro union.
But China does 27.5% on US imported vehicles, hence US should 27.5% to Chinese imports.

Old 03-10-22, 12:53 PM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Russia will be supplying cheap raw materials to China so Chinese cars are going to be at very competitive price points.

Also helped by the exchange rate

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/International/wireStory/china-eases-control-ruble-fall-faster-yuan-83360995

Quick Reply: chinese cars... the coming tsunami