Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

chinese cars... the coming tsunami

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-22, 12:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Russia will be supplying cheap raw materials to China
Maybe.....maybe not. The Chinese have apparantly backed-off some (but not completely off) on trading with Putin since his Ukraine invasion.
Old 03-10-22, 04:05 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

There are many good points in this thread regarding pricing, tariffs, global competition, history, and such. However, I wouldn't buy a Chinese car for one simple reason...China's human rights abuses by their totalitarian military rulers. Why would we support this type of government? Why are we currently sending so much of our manufacturing to China? Corporations and billionaires are enjoying higher returns because of it, but it's at the expense of American blue collar workers. America's past success was largely due to the strength of its middle class and its manufacturing jobs. Do we really believe we can continue in dominating the world economically if we don't manufacture products and simply become a nation of consumers? Seems to me we will sink the ship if we can't correct course! Please don't buy Chinese cars.
Old 03-10-22, 04:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,922 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Are you going to completely boycott all things made in China or only certain products?
Old 03-10-22, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

^^^^ I basically agree with Wilson, particularly for large-ticket items like new vehicles, although, in truth, it can be difficult to avoid buying smaller Chinese-made goods/merchandise, as that is what is mostly sold in stores nowadays, particularly discount ones.
Old 03-10-22, 05:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

You own a made in China vehicle do you not?

This is a complex subject how far do you punish businesses which will impact the people of a particular country.
Old 03-10-22, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You own a made in China vehicle do you not?
Nope....absolutely not. That is one reason, among several, why I avoided the Envision. The Encore GX is built in Korea, with Union-employees. in fact, the GM-Korea plant is just a couple of miles from the plant that built my brother's Kia Sportage.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-10-22 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-10-22, 05:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope....absolutely not. That is one reason, among several, why I avoided the Envision. The Encore GX is built in Korea, with Union-employees. in fact, the GM-Korea plant is just a couple of miles from the plant that built my brother's Kia Sportage.
Thanks for the clarification had it suck in my head you owned the Envision.
Old 03-10-22, 06:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the clarification had it suck in my head you owned the Envision.

No....even aside from the Chinese-manufacture-issue, I generally didn't like either the 1Gen or 2Gen version of the Envision, for several reasons. The Encore GX met my everyday driving needs (and wants) almost perfectly, although I'll admit that the Envision's turbo 4 is smoother and more refined than the turbo-three in the Encore GX.

Old 03-10-22, 08:48 PM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
EV are the trending hot topic. So Despite being just 2% of the overall picture, some blogs, some writers really believe every single vehicle will become a battery electric in record time and some believe they work for everyone. Personally, I believe all the EV companies (including the big ICE companies) are in a bubble at the money in respect to EV adopt and when things calm down…we will haven a better understanding of how EVs will fit in the overall picture.
Believing is one thing but actually having the money to support it in reality is another matter. The average price of an EV is way more than the average person can afford. And then let's not go into talking about the drawbacks to current EV technology, aka lithium-based EVs.
Old 03-11-22, 06:15 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm quite looking forward for the Chinese EV if they ever make it to the US. More option for me as a consumer so why not. Not digging into the politic issue here.
Old 03-11-22, 07:19 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Are you going to completely boycott all things made in China or only certain products?
I will always choose a product NOT made in China over one that is, if there's an option. Unfortunately, our country has put all (most of) its eggs in one basket, which is never a good idea. Look at what happened in getting PPE during the pandemic. Would I boycott a Chinese mask when it's all that is available? No, I'm not a martyr: I'm a concerned American citizen.

It's getting harder all the time to choose products not made in China. Besides the lack of competition, there is a lack of information. Amazon used to be better at showing the origin of their products. Now, "Country or Origin" is rarely specified in the product description/specification. Its obviously intentional for marketing purposes. It won't be so easy to hide when it comes to big-ticket items like cars!

Last edited by Wilson2000; 03-11-22 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-11-22, 07:40 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by grabber2
I'm quite looking forward for the Chinese EV if they ever make it to the US. More option for me as a consumer so why not. Not digging into the politic issue here.
"More options, so, why not?" Because you are speaking with your wallet, supporting an abominable regime.

It's impossible to not be political when one chooses to purchase a vehicle made in China. Typically, we're not supposed to speak about politics on CL, but in this case, it can't be avoided. The "politics" equals: buying a vehicle made in a country ruled by a totalitarian military, infamous for human rights abuses, no environmental laws and no labor laws, vs buying from a democratically ruled country!
Old 03-11-22, 02:40 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
"More options, so, why not?" Because you are speaking with your wallet, supporting an abominable regime.

It's impossible to not be political when one chooses to purchase a vehicle made in China. Typically, we're not supposed to speak about politics on CL, but in this case, it can't be avoided. The "politics" equals: buying a vehicle made in a country ruled by a totalitarian military, infamous for human rights abuses, no environmental laws and no labor laws, vs buying from a democratically ruled country!
I don't buy into those political hypes. There is law and order there, but not the same way here. As long as they are legally imported and allowed by US law, I won't have a problem buying them.
Old 03-11-22, 03:43 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 463 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
I don't buy into those political hypes. There is law and order there, but not the same way here. As long as they are legally imported and allowed by US law, I won't have a problem buying them.
How is it fair that they tax American imports 27.5% tariffs, when the US has no equivalent tariffs on Chinese imports.
To evade the 27.5% duty, the US import must be locally made in China, and the US manufacturer must hand over their technology and pair with a local Chinese company.
Shouldn’t the US also force the Chinese import to be locally made to waive a 27.5% import duty, and shouldn’t the Chinese manufacturer have to hand over their technology and pair with local US manufacturers?
Old 03-11-22, 04:05 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

These "Chinese car" threads always fail to distinguish between Chinese-built cars and Chinese brands. Chinese-built cars have been sold in the west for years, just like Mexican-built cars. Nobody cares, if they're even aware of it to begin with- they buy the Chinese Buick because it's a Buick, an American brand. Chinese brands however have zero hope of establishing themselves. Merely owning European brands like Volvo as a proxy isn't enough for any Chinese brand to gain acceptance, just like how nobody who buys a Range Rover has any interest in its Tata Indian leadership.

Quick Reply: chinese cars... the coming tsunami