Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

chinese cars... the coming tsunami

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-22, 05:10 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
I don't buy into those political hypes.
Labeling it "hype" is whitewashing and condoning China's behavior, as would be buying their vehicles. The Chinese form of governance imposes real human suffering on its population and in some cases, outright genocide. Too, their lack of regulations cause real harm to the environment. These are realities, not "hype."
Old 03-11-22, 05:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Everyone has high moral standards until it comes to something they want then all of a sudden not so much.
Old 03-11-22, 06:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
How is it fair that they tax American imports 27.5% tariffs, when the US has no equivalent tariffs on Chinese imports.
To evade the 27.5% duty, the US import must be locally made in China, and the US manufacturer must hand over their technology and pair with a local Chinese company.
Shouldn’t the US also force the Chinese import to be locally made to waive a 27.5% import duty, and shouldn’t the Chinese manufacturer have to hand over their technology and pair with local US manufacturers?
you mostly import US brands, made in china, because US/EU did not want to keep that manufacturing ability.
Old 03-11-22, 06:37 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
How is it fair that they tax American imports 27.5% tariffs, when the US has no equivalent tariffs on Chinese imports.
To evade the 27.5% duty, the US import must be locally made in China, and the US manufacturer must hand over their technology and pair with a local Chinese company.
Shouldn’t the US also force the Chinese import to be locally made to waive a 27.5% import duty, and shouldn’t the Chinese manufacturer have to hand over their technology and pair with local US manufacturers?
I'm sure those cars will carry the 25% tariffs (or whatever the exact amount) just like other Chinese imports. If they decide to build/assemble them in the USA, it would be nice to support more jobs. The era to pair with a local Chinese company will be a thing in the past. Tesla in China is a wholly foreign-owned enterprise and is not being operated by a joint venture. Of course, it is up to the U.S. government to approve/deny any Chinese brand or Chinese make EV to the States.

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
Labeling it "hype" is whitewashing and condoning China's behavior, as would be buying their vehicles. The Chinese form of governance imposes real human suffering on its population and in some cases, outright genocide. Too, their lack of regulations cause real harm to the environment. These are realities, not "hype."
We certainly have a different belief on this topic.
Old 03-12-22, 12:22 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 480 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
We certainly have a different belief on this topic.
Before reading the following post, please be aware that I'm 100% joking...

If Satan manufactured cars that met your needs, was priced right, was stylish and had kick-*** performance would you buy one? In other words, would you buy a Tesla?
Old 03-12-22, 06:25 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Before reading the following post, please be aware that I'm 100% joking...

If Satan manufactured cars that met your needs, was priced right, was stylish and had kick-*** performance would you buy one? In other words, would you buy a Tesla?
Why not?
Old 03-12-22, 07:19 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

There are many good points in this thread regarding pricing, tariffs, global competition, history, and such. However, I wouldn't buy a Chinese car for one simple reason...China's human rights abuses by their totalitarian military rulers. Why would we support this type of government? Why are we currently sending so much of our manufacturing to China? Corporations and billionaires are enjoying higher returns because of it, but it's at the expense of American blue collar workers. America's past success was largely due to the strength of its middle class and its manufacturing jobs. Do we really believe we can continue in dominating the world economically if we don't manufacture products and simply become a nation of consumers? Seems to me we will sink the ship if we can't correct course! Please don't buy Chinese cars.
If we buy more electric cars from China, we would need to buy less oil from Saudi Arabia. To me, that would be a good tradeoff.
Old 03-12-22, 08:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,186 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
If we buy more electric cars from China, we would need to buy less oil from Saudi Arabia. To me, that would be a good tradeoff.
We barely buy any from them anyway, 7% for petroleum and 8% for crude......and that's only on our import side that only comprises 37% of our total anyway so it's well under 3% of total. Not a real factor vs Canada or Mexico