Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Acura Precision concept will be the basis for a new Acura sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 05:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The concept looks great, but its probably going to be wrong wheel drive v6.
I don't see that as a major issue. Most people, unless they are significantly concerned with winter traction, don't care which set of wheels do the driving. And most don't drive aggressively enough for the benefits of RWD in high-speed handling to be much of a factor.
Old 06-26-19, 11:30 AM
evident
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The concept looks great, but its probably going to be wrong wheel drive v6.

This was never an issue for Audi (mostly FWD based AWD) since they market their quattro heavily.
I could never figure out why Acura couldn't follow that same strategy w/ the TL. Im convinced if the previous gen TL wasn't so butt ugly they would be doing much better than they are right now.
Old 06-26-19, 01:27 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

I love many Hondas and Acuras from the 80's and 90's, even early 2000's, current Civic, and new NSX II - but I don't believe this new Acura Precision has the right styling to sell - unlike its fore bears.

1986-90 Legend

1990-95 Legend long wheelbase and longitudinal engine.

1995-04 Legend long wheelbase longitudinal engine - at least has a nice nose IMO.

2005-08 Acura RL transverse engine AWD - IMO, the last "decently" styled Legend/RL/RLX.
Old 06-26-19, 02:07 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I love many Hondas and Acuras from the 80's and 90's, even early 2000's, current Civic, and new NSX II - but I don't believe this new Acura Precision has the right styling to sell - unlike its fore bears.

1986-90 Legend

1990-95 Legend long wheelbase and longitudinal engine.

1995-04 Legend long wheelbase longitudinal engine - at least has a nice nose IMO.

2005-08 Acura RL transverse engine AWD - IMO, the last "decently" styled Legend/RL/RLX.
Are the first two pics Legends or Hondas? Both have the Honda emblem, not the Acura emblem.
Old 06-26-19, 02:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 482 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
Are the first two pics Legends or Hondas? Both have the Honda emblem, not the Acura emblem.
They're just pics I downloaded from Bing.com of the Honda version in the Japan and other parts of the world that do not market the Acura name plate.
The Acura luxury division is only marketed in the US.
Other parts of the world are still badges as Hondas.
Old 06-27-19, 08:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Ah memory lane... i had an ‘87 legend coupe 5 spd and a ‘94 legend sedan 6 spd (type ii gs). Loved ‘em!
Old 06-28-19, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This may (?) be the most tank-like car that Honda/Acura ever built for street use. By 21st-century standards, it was built like the Rock of Gibraltar...both in fit/finish and the solid quality of materials. Shutting the doors produced the most solid thunk I had heard in years, except for the Mercedes G-Wagen.

But it simply didn't sell....even with big discounts. Common complaints (which I think were over-hyped) were that it was too small for a flagship, and that it looked too much like an Accord.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-28-19 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-28-19, 10:47 AM
evident
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall

This may (?) be the most tank-like car that Honda/Acura ever built for street use. By 21st-century standards, it was built like the Rock of Gibraltar...both in fit/finish and the solid quality of materials. Shutting the doors produced the most solid thunk I had heard in years, except for the Mercedes G-Wagen.

But it simply didn't sell....even with big discounts. Common complaints (which I think were over-hyped) were that it was too small for a flagship, and that it looked too much like an Accord.
Great vehicle. the beak grill certainly suppressed sales after the 09 mmcand it hung out too long in the grape vine. I wouldn't mind having one as a cruiser at the moment
Old 06-28-19, 11:22 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
Great vehicle. the beak grill certainly suppressed sales after the 09 mmcand it hung out too long in the grape vine. I wouldn't mind having one as a cruiser at the moment
I still see a lot of RL's on the road, the owners seem to love them, so they are solid cars you can put a lot of miles on. I agree with mmarshal, I was blown away by the solidity and quality of the 2nd Gen RL when I test drove it, one of the nicest, highest quality interiors I ever experienced, very solid and you can tell at least interior wise it was designed to be a flagship and go against flagships, not just mid level cars, it was the nicest interior in its class. I thought about getting one when I was not having luck finding a GS or LS I wanted but they all seem to have well over 100K miles on them for sale around me, if I found a lower mileage one I would recommend my mom getting one, she would love it.

They sold pretty well the first two years, I think if they just stretched it more to offer some more rear seat room and gave it a more powerful engine option it would have sold much better.
Old 06-28-19, 05:20 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Acura has once again trademarked the "Legend" name. At least one rumor has the new car replacing both the TX and RLX with the top trim being a turbo V-6 and SH-AWD on a basic FWD layout. They would upgrade the ILX to be more competitive. How about a new name for it? Integra, maybe?

Acura did a great job on the RDX, so I'm hopeful that this is the beginning of its return. They really need a new MDX so that has to be in the pipeline somewhere. If Lincoln can come back, why not Acura?
Old 06-28-19, 07:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Acura did a great job on the RDX, so I'm hopeful that this is the beginning of its return. They really need a new MDX so that has to be in the pipeline somewhere. If Lincoln can come back, why not Acura?

I'm not a big believer in image myself, but for those who are, Acura also has an image-advantage over Lincoln in that it doesn't have to share its dealerships with a cheaper brand. They can operate out of stand-alone dealerships.
Old 06-28-19, 11:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Acura has once again trademarked the "Legend" name. At least one rumor has the new car replacing both the TX and RLX with the top trim being a turbo V-6 and SH-AWD on a basic FWD layout. They would upgrade the ILX to be more competitive. How about a new name for it? Integra, maybe?

This new car won't replace the TLX, TLX is due for a new gen that is different from this new Legend/RLX and there are already prototype new TLX's running around. This new car may or may not replace the RLX but some are saying this new car could be some kind of new hybrid electric, NG, type vehicle on a very unique platform and could be a 100K niche model. Who knows? They are being very tight lipped about it. There are rumors the ILX may die and will be replaced by a sporty hatch which they may call the Integra.
Old 06-29-19, 02:58 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
This new car won't replace the TLX, TLX is due for a new gen that is different from this new Legend/RLX and there are already prototype new TLX's running around. This new car may or may not replace the RLX but some are saying this new car could be some kind of new hybrid electric, NG, type vehicle on a very unique platform and could be a 100K niche model. Who knows? They are being very tight lipped about it. There are rumors the ILX may die and will be replaced by a sporty hatch which they may call the Integra.
Most likely this. It will be a tad big bigger than current RLX but not as long as LS so you could say it's a tweener 5/8GC series competitor but positioned as flagship for the brand. Info floating around about the platform is scarce, my prediction is some form of evolution of the current Honda platform but it could be brand new because of dedicated Sports Hybrid drivetrain. I wish they could pull off a Volvo FWD platform with luxury gap if they are indeed making a new platform. Anyhow it will be a true flagship in terms of what Honda can do, not only in reversed NSX hybrid setup but in terms of drivers technology and interior design. More tight and cohesive drive than current hybrid RLX.
Old 06-29-19, 10:05 PM
evident
Racer

Acura is in the midst of making a comeback (i'm hoping) with their next few vehicles. They have nowhere to go but up now, and can easily take Lexus's lunch with the new MDX, and if the next gen TL/TLX/whatever is good, then it will def. give the ES a run for its money.
I also agree that the RDX is a sweet ride )for an SUV). they really nailed the styling and packaging in my opinion.