Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo will limit top speed to 112 mph on all models

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-19, 09:04 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
If anyone needs to go over 100 mph/160 km per hour on a US/Canada road or highway, they've got a problem with driving mindset.
well what are those people driving at the time?
Old 03-12-19, 05:57 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well what are those people driving at the time?
The fallacy in the statement you responded to? It all goes back to American Psycho and the business card scene, and the one-upmanship.

Why do you and I like AMG? The difference is you own one, I wish I owned one!

The guy who would have clipped me at the gym drove a Lexus RX350 with a Stevens Creek license plate frame. His car can't go 100 with him driving it, yet he nearly got me at 20 mph. I would say he's less safe and less likely to not have a fatal accident, than a responsible driver with a S65.

It's a non sequitur. If I were to get any sort of M car or Porsche or Corvette, and one car has a top speed of 171, and the other 155, I'm gonna spend the extra money to get the 171. Will I ever see 171? Only on a track. On the road, the vehicle would likely never see triple digits. Last summer I did 110 mph in the 335i for the heck of it, others were too. The car wanted 40 more to the limiter and was stable as a ****. And yes, I have jumped off a cliff just because others were doing it (it was in Troy NY). Sometimes I wonder why people defend car cos. when they decontent and cheap out.
Old 03-12-19, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
The guy who would have clipped me at the gym drove a Lexus RX350 with a Stevens Creek license plate frame. His car can't go 100 with him driving it, yet he nearly got me at 20 mph. I would say he's less safe and less likely to not have a fatal accident, than a responsible driver with a S65.
When you said responsible driver with an S65, I couldn't help but think of Lindsay Lohan, who wrecked two SL65s with her chronic DWIs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-12-19 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-12-19, 07:42 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
When you said responsible driver with an S65, I couldn't help but think of Lindsay Lohan, who wrecked two SL65s with her chronic DWIs.

It was the car's fault....probably the floor mats were not secured....and who is she, was she in Herbie? Even it it's accident condtion, that vehicle should be on a flatbed, not towed like that...
Old 03-12-19, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

It was the car's fault....probably the floor mats were not secured....and who is she, was she in Herbie? Even it it's accident condtion, that vehicle should be on a flatbed, not towed like that...
It's RWD, so towing it like that, while not the ideal method, will not damage the front drivetrain. Of course, there's plenty of other damage LOL.

who is she
A fairly young actress who simply couldn't keep away from drugs and alcohol.

It's a non sequitur. If I were to get any sort of M car or Porsche or Corvette, and one car has a top speed of 171, and the other 155, I'm gonna spend the extra money to get the 171. Will I ever see 171? Only on a track. On the road, the vehicle would likely never see triple digits
I'm not sure, but, where you Iive, I think (?) the closest track might be Pocono.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-12-19 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-12-19, 07:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I'm just surprised that here in 2019, Volvo can make a case that they build a safe vehicle. I don't think they've built anything safer or less safe for over 25 years--they milked the 240 series to the point where a 1970's design could no longer meet 1990's crash standards, and they are doing the same today.

Why you shouldn't really give cars to relatives in many cases--my aunt gave my mom a 240DL. To this day, my mom calls it a POS because as soon as she got it, she had to spend $1100 to fix the two rear wheel wells that rusted out (it came into CT and being 10+ y.o. had to have a safety inspection and being a unibody, those repairs were required not optional). Then it was non stop tranny and rear diff leaks, ball joints, and wait til she got the estimate on the exhaust it was junked lol (I had already graduated to the 1998 Maxima or I would have wanted it)
Old 03-12-19, 08:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'm just surprised that here in 2019, Volvo can make a case that they build a safe vehicle. I don't think they've built anything safer or less safe for over 25 years--they milked the 240 series to the point where a 1970's design could no longer meet 1990's crash standards, and they are doing the same today.
Volvo also made a major design change when the first 850 debuted...a switch from RWD/longitudinal to FWD/transverse drivetrains.
Old 03-12-19, 09:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Volvo also made a major design change when the first 850 debuted...a switch from RWD/longitudinal to FWD/transverse drivetrains.
I was still in love with Volvos at the time, and one time I was picking up a rental car at 23:00. The clerk goes, I don't have a subcompact but I have a new Volvo 850. I hope that's ok with you. I think my face hurt I was grinning so widely....I remember having a book that showed how that car was made...seem to recall just in time on the seats...and that car was a 5 cyl, right? My cousin's wife had a 850R wagon...stick.
Old 03-12-19, 10:10 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Why do you and I like AMG? The difference is you own one, I wish I owned one!

well idk about you, but I love the idea of a more or less everyday comfortable car with a comically overpowered engine and the brakes / suspension to match, there's just something awesome about sustained g forces in your back and it never gets old

and yes an RX with any amount of kinetic energy is a reason to have the cops and paramedics on standby
Old 03-12-19, 09:39 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, aside from the usual speedster types answering back with a "you hate high performance cars" thingy - this isn't about that at all. It's now a bigger question about who gets to regulate how fast your vehicle can go. Does Volvo, as a manufacturer of automobiles, have the right to tell you the owner and driver of their product, what your max speed is? Or does the state tell you that, and you make your own best judgement based on what others are doing around you?

Then the question becomes: if the max of 112 mph is somehow judged to be arbitrarily set too low, then should there be a max speed limit set on a Volvo, especially if the Germans limit their cars to 155 mph? It's likely a bit of PR because no sane driver in a XC60 is going to be doing 112 to start with. Volvo drivers are usually pretty conservative in their driving habits it seems.

But the other issue here is this - who among us is such a great driver with racing credentials and NASCAR experience supplemented with law enforcement experience driving at extreme speeds on public roads in high performance cars? Anybody? Just raise your hand. Otherwise we are all at risk of killing someone not due to our mistake - but their mistake.

And Lindsay Lohan is dumber than a sack of rusty hammers and twice as useless. Those SL65s were likely all arranged as leases or buys to boost MB's image. It's not unheard of in Hollyweird to chase nickels, dimes and dollars when the current "it" girl is the hot item of the month.
Old 03-12-19, 10:52 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

But the other issue here is this - who among us is such a great driver with racing credentials and NASCAR experience supplemented with law enforcement experience driving at extreme speeds on public roads in high performance cars? Anybody? Just raise your hand.
i'll raise my hand, i've driven over a dozen laps around pocono raceway and definitely have much "experience" with going fast in high performance cars

it's simply a matter of not going too fast for prevailing conditions, including the road surface itself and its condition, and "too fast" depends mostly on how good the brakes are and driver reaction times

and i generally average 22-25 mpg per tank in the LS and 15-17 mpg in the E55 so it's not like i'm always racing around everywhere lol... the vast majority of my driving is smooth and relaxed cruising (don't wanna wear the cars down and waste gas) with brief moments of spirited sustained acceleration, but only if there's room to coast back down

Does Volvo, as a manufacturer of automobiles, have the right to tell you the owner and driver of their product, what your max speed is?
sure why not, pretty much literally every other car maker does already... iirc my mom's 2016 MDX is also limited to 112ish, or at least that's about when it just suddenly stopped accelerating lol
Old 03-13-19, 06:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Well, aside from the usual speedster types answering back with a "you hate high performance cars" thingy - this isn't about that at all. It's now a bigger question about who gets to regulate how fast your vehicle can go. Does Volvo, as a manufacturer of automobiles, have the right to tell you the owner and driver of their product, what your max speed is? Or does the state tell you that, and you make your own best judgement based on what others are doing around you?

Then the question becomes: if the max of 112 mph is somehow judged to be arbitrarily set too low, then should there be a max speed limit set on a Volvo, especially if the Germans limit their cars to 155 mph? It's likely a bit of PR because no sane driver in a XC60 is going to be doing 112 to start with. Volvo drivers are usually pretty conservative in their driving habits it seems.

But the other issue here is this - who among us is such a great driver with racing credentials and NASCAR experience supplemented with law enforcement experience driving at extreme speeds on public roads in high performance cars? Anybody? Just raise your hand. Otherwise we are all at risk of killing someone not due to our mistake - but their mistake.

And Lindsay Lohan is dumber than a sack of rusty hammers and twice as useless. Those SL65s were likely all arranged as leases or buys to boost MB's image. It's not unheard of in Hollyweird to chase nickels, dimes and dollars when the current "it" girl is the hot item of the month.
We're car enthusiasts, here, correct? Over the years I've driven with Porsche and BMW professional instructors (free). Mercedes and Lexus did not provide an instructor, nor did GM with the Corvette or V cars (imho cost and resources). I think you're being a little overly dramatic. Porsche and BMW would never be able to hold any events if they looked at things that way. Germans had a gentleman's agreement so many cars even with optional sport packages are limited to 150 or 155, which is why you have to pay even more to get the 171.

All this over Volvo's cost cutting. First world problems, eh?
Old 03-13-19, 06:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'll raise my hand, i've driven over a dozen laps around pocono raceway and definitely have much "experience" with going fast in high performance cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFPnpqLCsnk

it's simply a matter of not going too fast for prevailing conditions, including the road surface itself and its condition, and "too fast" depends mostly on how good the brakes are and driver reaction times

and i generally average 22-25 mpg per tank in the LS and 15-17 mpg in the E55 so it's not like i'm always racing around everywhere lol... the vast majority of my driving is smooth and relaxed cruising (don't wanna wear the cars down and waste gas) with brief moments of spirited sustained acceleration, but only if there's room to coast back down

sure why not, pretty much literally every other car maker does already... iirc my mom's 2016 MDX is also limited to 112ish, or at least that's about when it just suddenly stopped accelerating lol
From the various events over the years, BMW has the best instructors imho. Both from skills and customer service. Porsche had way better cars but their instructors aren't as good. Someone out there knows why, but I thought it would make more sense to line up the fastest vehicle to the slowest vehicle, in the lead/follow exercise. So when you're directly behind the instructor, you can try to keep up with him in the most capable car. But they did it in reverse, I'm thinking to keep the overall speed down. Cayman S, Cayman GTS, 911 Carrera S, 911 GTS. Literally, a senior citizen was in the 911 in front of me, then her husband, and I was stuck driving slowly in the 991 GTS behind both (my wife only took one turn as we had an infant, so I got all her turns, meaning 3 extra i.e. 2 turns in every car except the Cayman S).

Getting stuck behind the slow moving Carrera S, I was more frustrated than Sammy Hagar! (they said for real if you pass the vehicle in front of you, or turn off the PSM, the entire event gets shut down for the day, so I didn't dream of passing other than in my mind....)

p.s. you get good mileage in the LS. I get around 19 and that includes some highway, avg. mph is 24. But straight highway is 28 mpg+....

Old 03-13-19, 11:48 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

From the various events over the years, BMW has the best instructors imho. Both from skills and customer service. Porsche had way better cars but their instructors aren't as good. Someone out there knows why, but I thought it would make more sense to line up the fastest vehicle to the slowest vehicle, in the lead/follow exercise. So when you're directly behind the instructor, you can try to keep up with him in the most capable car. But they did it in reverse, I'm thinking to keep the overall speed down. Cayman S, Cayman GTS, 911 Carrera S, 911 GTS. Literally, a senior citizen was in the 911 in front of me, then her husband, and I was stuck driving slowly in the 991 GTS behind both (my wife only took one turn as we had an infant, so I got all her turns, meaning 3 extra i.e. 2 turns in every car except the Cayman S).

Getting stuck behind the slow moving Carrera S, I was more frustrated than Sammy Hagar! (they said for real if you pass the vehicle in front of you, or turn off the PSM, the entire event gets shut down for the day, so I didn't dream of passing other than in my mind....)

p.s. you get good mileage in the LS. I get around 19 and that includes some highway, avg. mph is 24. But straight highway is 28 mpg+....
damn getting stuck behind a slow poke at an event like that and having to drive slowly in a 911 GTS sounds like torture lol... in general i never get why some people will get a porsche or bmw to just drive it around slowly, i mean porsche and bmw probably make the best driving cars out there but they're not so nice for just driving around especially if you live in like queens or brooklyn

and i can attribute my mpgs to careful planning and trying to avoid braking unless absolutely necessary, and because an LS is just so nice to drive and sit in i'll generally just drive around unnecessarily instead of only going right to my destination and back lol... but that's only if it's like a <15 min drive to wherever i'm going

i also only try to use it when conditions are ideal and traffic is low, that's where the crown vic came in handy since i'd use that to commute and for short trips around town and save the other two for when it's nice to take them out
Old 03-14-19, 06:56 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

While having options is always a good thing, most of the vehicles impacted by this change are never going to be tracked or launched at the strip. These are all mommy mobiles and sedans. I doubt you will see outrage in the masses from prospective owners about a feature they seldom will use anyways.

If this translates into their Polestar sub brand, specifically coupes etc intended to compete with the stalwarts of the world, I`d get it. But even then just use GPS tech, to limit speed based on location (similar systems exists in Japan on certain hi po models).

Volvos reliability may be crap, but again their safety is bar none. The small overlap test that made many automakers stumble for a while, was easily passed by the last gen Xc90, a design thats older then dirt. 3 axis rollover safety and prevention, still a leader.

Quick Reply: Volvo will limit top speed to 112 mph on all models