Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo will limit top speed to 112 mph on all models

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 11:19 AM
Lead Lap

Received 781 Likes on 530 Posts

This is nothing new. Japan has limited all their domestic cars to 180kmh (112mph) since 1988. Yes 30 years ago.

Infact both my late model Lexus is still limited to that speed as imports from Japan.

Its funny how Volvo is claiming this as a first while it has been a standard across all cars in Japan for so long
Old 03-14-19, 12:20 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
This is nothing new. Japan has limited all their domestic cars to 180kmh (112mph) since 1988. Yes 30 years ago.

Infact both my late model Lexus is still limited to that speed as imports from Japan.

Its funny how Volvo is claiming this as a first while it has been a standard across all cars in Japan for so long
i hear police cars there are only factory tuned... and if you can do better than 180 kph they can't catch you, so they don't even try
Old 03-14-19, 02:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i hear police cars there are only factory tuned... and if you can do better than 180 kph they can't catch you, so they don't even try
That's when they turn to something a little faster.......a radio.
Old 03-14-19, 02:38 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's when they turn to something a little faster.......a radio.
they don't have radios in japan
Old 03-14-19, 02:41 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they don't have radios in japan
Or maybe the numerous photo radar cams pick up the vehicle, plate, person driving and the Japanese police show up at the driver's doorstep at some point. You gotta stop watching Smokey and the Bandit on those rerun channels, lol.
Old 03-14-19, 02:58 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
Or maybe the numerous photo radar cams pick up the vehicle, plate, person driving and the Japanese police show up at the driver's doorstep at some point. You gotta stop watching Smokey and the Bandit on those rerun channels, lol.
it was a fast and furious tokyo drift quote jeez...
Old 03-14-19, 03:36 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it was a fast and furious tokyo drift quote jeez...
Explains a lot about paying tickets, and lowly non-hipo car owning peasants needing to get out of your way then doesn't it?
Old 03-14-19, 06:24 PM
Lead Lap

Received 781 Likes on 530 Posts

cameras are everywhere. Even if you’re using a fake plate number they will be able to follow your movements and turn up at your door step.
Old 03-14-19, 06:58 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MattyG
Explains a lot about paying tickets, and lowly non-hipo car owning peasants needing to get out of your way then doesn't it?
i'm not quite sure why making a reference to a movie made you say this lol, but you're right the lowly peasants do frequently need to get out of the way
Old 03-14-19, 08:25 PM
ronmaiden
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What about somebody who buys a sports car and wants to do some weekend racing activities and can't go faster than 85? This to me,would be more uneeded government reach into our personal lives and limiting a car's top speed isn't going to stop people from driving like idiots?
Old 03-15-19, 05:10 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Funny. Had this discussion with a dude on Facebook today.

For me, our personal live is limited to the extend when we start to hurt other peoples around us. It's the reason why we had laws against racism, murder, rape, terrorism, guns, ect.... Because there is a risk, there is also a limitation. Until now, cars tended to fly under the radar of those limitations. I'm a car enthousiast, but I salute the logical evolutions around our hobby. I hope this will calm down the "power war" actually going on.

118 miles p/h is more than enough to be fast driving around. The only moments I drive those speeds is in Germany on the Autobahn. Even some basical race tracks don't allow me to reach those speeds.
Old 03-15-19, 05:14 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

EDIT : Imagine when all cars are limited to 118 Mph... what would be the last possibility to make your car fast ?
- tightening the gear ratios for more agressive acceleration
- lowering the weight
- reducing drag

This would, for sure, be a bad news for v8 turbo cars. But imagine how much fun you can have with a one ton sportscar. And it's better for the environment too.
Old 03-15-19, 06:44 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmaiden
What about somebody who buys a sports car and wants to do some weekend racing activities and can't go faster than 85? This to me,would be more uneeded government reach into our personal lives and limiting a car's top speed isn't going to stop people from driving like idiots?
Which of the vehicles in Volvo's lineup do you want to race in....I`ll wait.

Old 03-15-19, 08:01 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ronmaiden
Whoever uses a personal car for racing, though, has to be willing to give up the factory warranty....that is clearly outlined in the Owners' Manual. Too many people want their cake and eat it, too.....drag-race or autocross and then expect the factory to cover repairs caused by that kind of abuse. Doesn't work that way, though.
Old 03-15-19, 01:29 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Haha, that's why I have the RCF (pushing 500hp+ with mods) and CT200h (slow as a turtle) and other different vehicles so I don't get bored!!!

​​​​​​In my much younger days when I rode motorcycles......I learned very early on that one OFTEN needed to ACCELERATE FAST to get out of an impending accident!!!

well idk about you, but I love the idea of a more or less everyday comfortable car with a comically overpowered engine and the brakes / suspension to match, there's just something awesome about sustained g forces in your back and it never gets old

and yes an RX with any amount of kinetic energy is a reason to have the cops and paramedics on standby

Quick Reply: Volvo will limit top speed to 112 mph on all models