Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 03:30 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Here is another explanation of the naming change as Cadillac is going to use these names for their upcoming electric cars.

https://www.slashgear.com/cadillac-r...e-up-13569665/
Thanks for the link Jill. It makes sense to me with the oncoming electric revolution. Audi already started it as mentioned in the article. More to follow I'm sure. Cadillac is showing they know what they doing for the future.
Old 03-13-19, 03:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of either naming scheme.....the current alphabet soup, or doing it by engine power. Cadillac had the most success when they were using mostly words (DeVille, Fleetwood, Escalade, El Dorado, Seville, Calais, etc....).
Old 03-13-19, 03:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another crap on Cadillac thread, just great. Why do you all care anyways? Nobody on here is going to buy a Cadillac no matter what they do (aside from one member). What I find interesting is that everyone likes to crap on Cadillac, but these members fail to give credit where credit is due. Two Lexus threads were just closed recently because the LS500 lacked at V8 etc or that Lexus might no longer be a luxury brand. Then there is always the remote touch debate.

So here is Cadillac, coming out with a new naming structure. Let’s also take a moment to recognize what else they are doing. They have a new Blackwing V8 coming (where is the next Lexus V8 ), the new engine in the CT6 is handcrafted, they also have outstanding performance vehicles on their V series models that top 550 horses, (what does Lexus top out at), the performance cars are made with lots of aluminum and carbon fibre. Heck, Cadillac even has Apple CarPlay and Android auto (where is the Lexus offering ). Then you have their new models like the XT4 going touch screen and remote touch, wow? Let’s make it easy.

So maybe Cadillac is offering something pretty good. All the so called enthusiasts on here look to be full of it. Good for Cadillac
And how is changing their naming structure for the 3rd time in a decade helping Cadillac convey all those great things to their customers?

It's the internet--people crap on things/people/places. If there is something great about Caddy, why not start a new thread promoting what's great about Caddy?
Old 03-13-19, 06:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of either naming scheme.....the current alphabet soup, or doing it by engine power. Cadillac had the most success when they were using mostly words (DeVille, Fleetwood, Escalade, El Dorado, Seville, Calais, etc....).
I think the old names don’t work for the US market. GM has tried their best to distance themselves from their worst years. I think STS still would work though. Other world markets probably do not have the negative history of those years where GM was really really bad.
Old 03-13-19, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think the old names don’t work for the US market. GM has tried their best to distance themselves from their worst years. I think STS still would work though. Other world markets probably do not have the negative history of those years where GM was really really bad.
I'm not necessarily saying to use the old names. But the point is that Cadillac was most successful when they weren't marketing with the alphabet-soup. Same with Lincoln.....whose marketers have seen the alphabet-soup error and are now going back to regular names.

I think STS still would work though.
STS is just another example of the alphabet soup I was talking about. Its initials, BTW, stood for "Seville Touring Sedan"...the SLS meant "Seville Luxury Sedan".
Old 03-13-19, 06:41 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not necessarily saying to use the old names. But the point is that Cadillac was most successful when they weren't marketing with the alphabet-soup. Same with Lincoln.....whose marketers have seen the alphabet-soup error and are now going back to regular names.

STS is just another example of the alphabet soup I was talking about. Its initials, BTW, stood for "Seville Touring Sedan"...the SLS meant "Seville Luxury Sedan".
At the end of the day. Letters and naming make no difference. It’s the product (which they have) and the marketing (which they don’t have).
Old 03-13-19, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

At the end of the day. Letters and naming make no difference. It’s the product (which they have) and the marketing (which they don’t have).
It may not make a difference to people like you and me, because we know what a vehicle actually is under the skin.......but we are not typical John Q. Public buyers. When the average couple (or single person), for instance, goes into a Lincoln showroom (actually part of a Ford dealership) and is confronted with a sea of MKS / MKZ / MKT / MKC sound-alikes, it doesn't take very long to start scratching one's head.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-19 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 07:05 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

XT6 400? Do we perhaps have a marketing department's reaction to Lincoln's Aviator motor with its 400 hp/400 lb ft? Newton meters, now there's a familiar measure for Americans, who do not use the metric system. And their northern neighbor Canada also still uses hp/tq as measures for vehicles. Oh to be in a Cadillac showroom when salespeople explain this to potential buyers.

Wow, it's got 400 lb/ft of torque?

Uh no, not really it's got 400 newton meters.

Say what? Newton what? Newton meters?

Yeah Newton... well okay, not really... roughly uhh 367 but we don't like math so just... rounded up.

So 367 is now 400?

Yep. And remember, it's newton meters.

And this is the torque but it's not hp and it's not lb/ft.

Yep. Just pretend it's 400 something or the other and it sounds really cool.

Okaaayyy.
Old 03-13-19, 11:16 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
And how is changing their naming structure for the 3rd time in a decade helping Cadillac convey all those great things to their customers?

It's the internet--people crap on things/people/places. If there is something great about Caddy, why not start a new thread promoting what's great about Caddy?
Thank you. That is exactly what is taking place here. If things were rosy with the brand, there'd be lots of positive threads and comments.
You get what you give. This new cheating name thing is another joke in a long chapter of poorly run GM.
Old 03-14-19, 12:20 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Another idiotic decision by Cadillac.....
Old 03-14-19, 06:32 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I wonder how many negative posters here have actually sat or even test drove a new model Cadillac? Sadly I say few. They are all living in the past.

This OP is really about the electric revolution that is on the verge of becoming a reality in the next few years, how else can you compare an EV to a V8? Torgue seems logical. There are other ways I'm sure but some here seem to ignore that EV's are coming by all brands. Tesla and the Audi e-tron are the forerunners.
Old 03-14-19, 07:04 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I wonder how many negative posters here have actually sat or even test drove a new model Cadillac? Sadly I say few. They are all living in the past.

This OP is really about the electric revolution that is on the verge of becoming a reality in the next few years, how else can you compare an EV to a V8? Torgue seems logical. There are other ways I'm sure but some here seem to ignore that EV's are coming by all brands. Tesla and the Audi e-tron are the forerunners.
I have, and I actually like them. That's why I am so disappointed in this move, as I feel that it just adds more confusion and inconsistency. I have seen them do so much better than this. Naming engines based off torque is not a bad decision in my book. But adding badging, loosely related to torque values, using a unit most in NA are not familiar with, combined with very liberal rounding-up seems like a nonsensical choice, and a distraction from what Cadillac has to offer.

One of my neighbors bought a black XT4 and I think it's quite a looker. I always try to rent XT5s when we go on vacation as I really like those too. But the 3.6 in the XT5 is not an overly torquey motor, so labeling an engine with 271 lb-ft of torque as a "400" seems silly to me.
Old 03-14-19, 07:05 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What a wonderful and refreshing post.

I applaud GM for going out in front on electric cars. Yes, it seems logical. Lexus has been doing the fake power ratings for a long time. LS600, RX400h. The new Lexus LS500 to an old time Lexus observer would logical assume it had the 5.0 V8, but it does not. Good for Cadillac for trying something different
Old 03-14-19, 07:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I wonder how many negative posters here have actually sat or even test drove a new model Cadillac? Sadly I say few.
You can stop wondering.....I have. And I'm pretty certain I'm not alone.

They are all living in the past.
Sometimes the past is actually better.....sometimes not. Depends on the circumstances.
Old 03-14-19, 08:11 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I drove an ATS a few years ago before I settled on a 328. The ATS had some pluses; but the minuses outweighed them.

Certainly nothing can substitute for an in-person test drive; however, it's not like we don't have access to abundant information about every vehicle on the planet, right at our fingertips. Do auto reviewers and magazines/websites have their own inherent biases? Sure--but the more you read about a car, and the more what you read matches up across sources, the more accurate that info is. If every review says the ATS interior is low rent and cramped, and the CUE is frustrating to use, I'm going to believe it. If there's a mix in reviews, I'm more inclined to investigate for myself.

So, other than Caddy's specialty models, like the V's, I don't recall any Caddy in the past decade that generally was received in a very positive manner overall. If I test drove any of those models, would I have felt differently? Maybe, but maybe not.

Last edited by tex2670; 03-14-19 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging