Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-19, 02:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
But it still doesn't change the fact that the XT6 is not an electric vehicle. Slapping a badge on it as if it currently is and needs to be measured that way is underhanded brand deception. Tesla and Audi don't state their USA numbers in nM. In fact they're more likely to provide performance figures like 0-60. btw there does not appear to be any manufacturer of mainstream cars or mass market electric cars/suvs that even invokes the metric measurement for torque or even kW in Canada or the USA.

The only metrics that manufacturers started using a long time ago were for engine displacement going from cubic inches to cubic centimeters which rounded to liters.
And all of this bothers you why?
Old 03-14-19, 02:56 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
And all of this bothers you why?
Does not bother me, I'm stating my opinion. Why do opinions of others on this thread bother you?
Old 03-14-19, 03:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Does not bother me, I'm stating my opinion.
Got ya. I find it interesting that Cadillac is going this route as they appear to be completely erasing their past ways of doing things.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-14-19 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 03:27 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Slapping a badge on it as if it currently is and needs to be measured that way is underhanded brand deception.
I don't see brand deception in any way. I am not certain why you do
Old 03-14-19, 04:14 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

This looks to me of a bit of desperation. If your specs compare poorly, don't make it easy for the customer to compare specs.

It would be like saying my old Corvette has an engine displacement of 7x10^-12 Cubic Kilometers. It's true, but doesn't convey much information to the comparison shopper.

(For those unfamiliar with Scientific Notation, 7x10^-12 Cubic Kilometers = 7 Liters = 427 cubic inches)
Old 03-14-19, 04:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by riredale
If your specs compare poorly, don't make it easy for the customer to compare specs.

)
Cadillac has some pretty good specs
Old 03-14-19, 04:54 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

This is a no win discussion. It shouldn't matter if ft-lbs or Nm are used as long as the convention stays the same.

The auto world is global now and it's time the US conformed to the rest of the world and convert to use the Metric system. It was last tried in the seventies but fell by the wayside. I remember freeway exits signed in Kilometers. Cadillac's market is bigger in China now so maybe they know something.

By the way what is a Cubic Kilometer? And how would you compare the 427 Corvette to a Tesla?
Old 03-14-19, 05:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
The auto world is global now and it's time the US conformed to the rest of the world and convert to use the Metric system.
Nope. Strongly disagree. It was the U.S., as a matter of fact, which first made mass-production of automobiles possible, and for the world to be on wheels to start with.

It was last tried in the seventies but fell by the wayside.
Exactly....and there were many reasons why it fell. We learned from them.
Old 03-14-19, 05:26 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Nope. Strongly disagree. It was the U.S., as a matter of fact, which first made mass-production of automobiles possible, and for the world to be on wheels to start with.
That is history, I don't understand what that has to do with what measurement system one uses.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Exactly....and there were many reasons why it fell. We learned from them.
Who did we learn from?
Old 03-14-19, 05:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

I don't see brand deception in any way. I am not certain why you do..
Only in the context of what they've been doing now for over a decade. They keep changing their naming conventions. They moved from Detroit to NY and back to Detroit to somehow exude cachet and sophistication. None of this worked out well. It's clearly an issue of the brand management dept. running things vs the engineers and long term execs.

Now if they stick to the CT/XT names for a change they might be able to dig themselves out of this quagmire. It's not about bashing Cadillac - it's about higher expectations. The Blackwing CT6-V. Now that's a monster of a competitive car and its the thing that brings a halo effect and helps sell the other vehicles down the line. Even the Cadillac XLR was an interesting exercise. Cadillac Super Cruise, another innovation. They just have to stop running like it's a rudderless ship.

Cadillac's market is bigger in China now so maybe they know something.
Well, then the bigger question is this; why use your USA product to introduce this naming convention? Would you expect America to go to metric just to accommodate an electric revolution 25 years from now? In the end, other posters are right - this won't matter much because it's just a badge on the back of a G̶M̶C̶ ̶A̶c̶a̶d̶i̶a̶ Cadillac XT6.
Old 03-14-19, 05:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Only in the context of what they've been doing now for over a decade. They keep changing their naming conventions. They moved from Detroit to NY and back to Detroit to somehow exude cachet and sophistication. None of this worked out well. It's clearly an issue of the brand management dept. running things vs the engineers and long term execs.

Now if they stick to the CT/XT names for a change they might be able to dig themselves out of this quagmire. It's not about bashing Cadillac - it's about higher expectations. The Blackwing CT6-V. Now that's a monster of a competitive car and its the thing that brings a halo effect and helps sell the other vehicles down the line. Even the Cadillac XLR was an interesting exercise. Cadillac Super Cruise, another innovation. They just have to stop running like it's a rudderless ship.

Well, then the bigger question is this; why use your USA product to introduce this naming convention? Would you expect America to go to metric just to accommodate an electric revolution 25 years from now? In the end, other posters are right - this won't matter much because it's just a badge on the back of a G̶M̶C̶ ̶A̶c̶a̶d̶i̶a̶ Cadillac XT6.
I don't know why you are so,hard on Cadillac. In 2018, Chinese Cadillac sales were 228K. US was 150K in US. Those are pretty good numbers for the two huge markets. Cadillacs average transaction is $54K in the US. Bottom line, people do like the brand

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-14-19 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-14-19, 06:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

This is a no win discussion. It shouldn't matter if ft-lbs or Nm are used as long as the convention stays the same.

The auto world is global now and it's time the US conformed to the rest of the world and convert to use the Metric system. It was last tried in the seventies but fell by the wayside. I remember freeway exits signed in Kilometers. Cadillac's market is bigger in China now so maybe they know something.

By the way what is a Cubic Kilometer? And how would you compare the 427 Corvette to a Tesla?
Great post!
Old 03-14-19, 06:08 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

I don't know why you are so,hard on Cadillac. In 2018, Chinese Cadillac sales were 228K. US was 150K in US. Those are pretty good numbers for the two huge markets. Cadillacs average transaction is $54K in the US. Bottom line, people do like the brand
That's right, I pointed out that people are obviously enjoying their XT5s since I see them all the time on the road. But to be a complete full line competitive manufacturer you gotta have something other than fancier Chevys and GMCs. The Escalade is a extremely popular SUV because people love them. The problem here is that if these are your mainstream sellers here in the USA, why resort to a gimmick?

So you're saying that putting a "400" on the back of an XT6 before it's hardly out of the gate is some sort of pre-emptive sales strategy to boost sales? Why? Do they need to do that if they're already successful?
Old 03-14-19, 08:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That is history, I don't understand what that has to do with what measurement system one uses.
It was the American system of mass-produced automobiles, using English measurements and developed by Henry Ford, that made mass-ownership of vehicles possible. The later European/Japanese systems, using metric measurements, were essentially copycats.

Who did we learn from?
What we learned was that the American public did not want the change. Some things, though, were still forced on them, like the engine displacement in liters instead of the former cubic inches, and tire size in millimeters/inches combined. Nuts and bolts, scattered throughout the vehicles, became a hodgepodge combination of both English and metric sizes, often on the same vehicle. It was a mess that IMO should never have happened, as we should have kept the (former) all-English measurements.
Old 03-15-19, 04:55 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

But it still doesn't change the fact that the XT6 is not an electric vehicle. Slapping a badge on it as if it currently is and needs to be measured that way is underhanded brand deception. Tesla and Audi don't state their USA numbers in nM. In fact they're more likely to provide performance figures like 0-60. btw there does not appear to be any manufacturer of mainstream cars or mass market electric cars/suvs that even invokes the metric measurement for torque or even kW in Canada or the USA.

The only metrics that manufacturers started using a long time ago were for engine displacement going from cubic inches to cubic centimeters which rounded to liters.
The Lexus LS 500 no longer has a 5.0 liter engine; the IS 250 no longer has a 2.5 liter engine.
The BMW 330 and 340 don't have 3.3/3.4 liter engines.
The MB C300 doesn't have a 3.0 liter engine.
etc, etc.

Are these brands using underhanded deception?

Quick Reply: Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging