Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 11:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Default Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging

More badges and some generous rounding up, that's the answer!

Cadillac announced today that, starting with the 2020 model year, it's adopting a new engine-naming scheme in which the powertrain designation will be based on its torque number. The automaker says that's to give buyers "a clear understanding of the power differences across the lineup."

The three-digit number, which will show up on exterior badging, comes from torque measured in newton-meters, which the automaker points out is an international standard of measurement that is recognized everywhere (we use pound-feet to measure torque in the U.S.). With the increasing use of turbocharging and electrification of future models, it's "all about the torque," says Cadillac president Steve Carlisle, so finding a way to quantify that in the engine name is what Cadillac decided to do.

The first example of the new naming scheme is the 400 badge seen here on the new XT6 crossover. That number corresponds to the 3.6-liter V-6's 271 lb-ft of torque, which is 367 newton meters of torque; Cadillac generously rounds it up to 400 and says it will round each number to the nearest 50. Every 2020 model-year and later Cadillac except for the V-series will get the new engine badges, starting with the XT6, Cadillac said. A "T" will denote turbocharging on some models.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ne-names-2020/
Old 03-13-19, 12:01 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm going for an 18-wheeler. 1million newton meters, here I come!
Old 03-13-19, 12:19 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
More badges and some generous rounding up, that's the answer!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ne-names-2020/
Ok, it is now official. Cadillac has absolutely no idea what it's doing.
Old 03-13-19, 01:17 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's too early for April Fools....
Old 03-13-19, 01:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Or... Cadillac you could do it right like the Aviator and GV80 and do RWD like your original SRX. Take the opportunity and stuff a V8 or one of your twin turbo sixes in there. You can’t hide your 3.6L behind a “400” badge. You’re not fooling anyone!
Old 03-13-19, 01:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Another crap on Cadillac thread, just great. Why do you all care anyways? Nobody on here is going to buy a Cadillac no matter what they do (aside from one member). What I find interesting is that everyone likes to crap on Cadillac, but these members fail to give credit where credit is due. Two Lexus threads were just closed recently because the LS500 lacked at V8 etc or that Lexus might no longer be a luxury brand. Then there is always the remote touch debate.

So here is Cadillac, coming out with a new naming structure. Let’s also take a moment to recognize what else they are doing. They have a new Blackwing V8 coming (where is the next Lexus V8 ), the new engine in the CT6 is handcrafted, they also have outstanding performance vehicles on their V series models that top 550 horses, (what does Lexus top out at), the performance cars are made with lots of aluminum and carbon fibre. Heck, Cadillac even has Apple CarPlay and Android auto (where is the Lexus offering ). Then you have their new models like the XT4 going touch screen and remote touch, wow? Let’s make it easy.

So maybe Cadillac is offering something pretty good. All the so called enthusiasts on here look to be full of it. Good for Cadillac

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-13-19 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 01:47 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Another crap on Cadillac thread, just great. Why do you all care anyways? Nobody on here is going to buy a Cadillac no matter what they do (aside from one member). What I find interesting is that everyone likes to crap on Cadillac, but these members fail to give credit where credit is due. Two Lexus threads were just closed recently because the LS500 lacked at V8 etc or that Lexus might no longer be a luxury brand. Then there is always the remote touch debate.

So here is Cadillac, coming out with a new naming structure. Let’s also take a moment to recognize what else they are doing. They have a new Blackwing V8 coming (where is the next Lexus V8 ), the new engine in the CT6 is handcrafted, they also have outstanding performance vehicles on their V series models that too 500 horses, (what does Lexus top out at), the performance cars are made with lots of aluminum and carbon fibre. Heck, Cadillac even has Apple CarPlay and Android auto (where is the Lexus offering ). Then you have their new models like the XT4 going touch screen and remote touch, wow? Let’s make it easy.

So maybe Cadillac is offering something pretty good.

We’re crapping on the XT6 Jill. A large FWD based suv with a ho-hum 3.6L. Compare that to Lincoln and Genesis who are taking the fight right to BMW X5 and Benz GLE with the Aviator and GV80. Both RWD based and TTV6 or V8 galore. Cadillac was once “The standard of the world”. This “400” wont help them achieve that. A premium model like the CT6 or a new V8 which you always like to point out could.

This has nothing to do with Lexus. But since you mentioned it, ToMoCo already announced Android Auto for future cars, and I’ve reported the next 5RX will debut a new infotainment system which includes touchscreen. If you want to crap on Lexus, make a new thread. Can we get back to Cadillac now?
Old 03-13-19, 01:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Oh Jill. No, I didn't create this as some "crap on Cadillac" thread.

It is automotive news when a manufacturer makes a change in their naming scheme. This thread is meant to discuss that. Whether I would ever buy a Cadillac or not has no bearing on the topic.

If the thread upsets you, perhaps you should just avoid it. That's what I did with some of the other threads on here lately. No biggie. It's not up to me to tell others on here what to discuss or not discuss.
Old 03-13-19, 01:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If you want to crap on Lexus, make a new thread. Can we get back to Cadillac now?
I am not crapping on Lexus. Just pointing them out as reference since everyone wants to bash Cadillac all the time. . So what has Cadillac done that you like?
Old 03-13-19, 01:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
Oh Jill. No, I didn't create this as some "crap on Cadillac" thread.

It is automotive news when a manufacturer makes a change in their naming scheme. This thread is meant to discuss that. Whether I would ever buy a Cadillac or not has no bearing on the topic.

If the thread upsets you, perhaps you should just avoid it. That's what I did with some of the other threads on here lately. No biggie. It's not up to me to tell others on here what to discuss or not discuss.
I am just giving my opinion on the matter. It just seems like everyone wants to always crap on Cadillac. That’s all. I think it is always fair to point out and remember the positives when people are so negative
Old 03-13-19, 02:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here is another explanation of the naming change as Cadillac is going to use these names for their upcoming electric cars.

https://www.slashgear.com/cadillac-r...e-up-13569665/
Old 03-13-19, 02:08 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am not crapping on Lexus. Just pointing them out as reference since everyone wants to bash Cadillac all the time. . So what has Cadillac done that you like?
V
VSport
Upcoming CT6-V
ATS
Escala Concept
Elmiraj Concept
Ciel Concept
Old 03-13-19, 02:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

V
VSport
Upcoming CT6-V
ATS
Escala Concept
Elmiraj Concept
Ciel Concept
Thanks 👍. ....
Old 03-13-19, 02:18 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,724 Likes on 1,897 Posts

We’re crapping on the XT6 Jill. A large FWD based suv with a ho-hum 3.6L. Compare that to Lincoln and Genesis who are taking the fight right to BMW X5 and Benz GLE with the Aviator and GV80. Both RWD based and TTV6 or V8 galore. Cadillac was once “The standard of the world”. This “400” wont help them achieve that. A premium model like the CT6 or a new V8 which you always like to point out could.
You know what's kinda sad? The "400" might help them.

Potential buyer: "Ah yeah, I had an RX 400h back in the day, good to see Cadillac is making a similar car, the XT6 400!"

What, you haven't heard of the "Lexus 350"? :P
Old 03-13-19, 02:42 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by arentz07
You know what's kinda sad? The "400" might help them.

Potential buyer: "Ah yeah, I had an RX 400h back in the day, good to see Cadillac is making a similar car, the XT6 400!"

What, you haven't heard of the "Lexus 350"? :P
Lol perhaps.

Let’s play a game

hmm CT6
3.6 = 385 N.m = CT6 400
3.0 = 542 N.m = CT6 550
2.0 = 400 N.m = CT6 400 (discontinued)
4.2 = 850 N.m = CT6-V or CT6 850 (lmao)

Quick Reply: Cadillac Is Switching to New Torque-Based Engine Badging