Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Cadillac CT5 (pricing update post #56)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-20, 05:03 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
how would you suggest cadillac improve their sedan marketing?
They *may* be on the right track. I have thought for years that pricing was a huge issue. They would set their prices competitive with German sedans, and just rely on the Cadillac name and -- with the ATS -- better handling. Oh, and that pricing still included a long list of options. The ATS had a lot wrong with it, but if they had used the Hyundai/Kia model -- lots more features and content for a competitive price -- maybe they would have picked off some more customers. $60K for a CT5-V may be that step. It wouldn't happen overnight, but it worked for the Koreans.

But the XT4 does not follow that model, and still will have to rely on incentives and rebates to get there.

But--I'm one guy with no background in marketing or car sales at all. So I would think GM could come up with some ideas.
Old 02-27-20, 06:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Nobody has been successful trying to run an ES fighter, including GM. Can't fault Cadillac for not offering one.
The closest anyone came was Lincoln with their MKz they currently have. The ES is better though.
If the Lacrosse was so successful it wouldn't have been cancelled. Cancellation = failure.
Cant argue against facts.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Like I said, it was successful for years against the ES. That is fact, not opinion. However, it is also fact that, for reasons that are still unclear, its success quickly died off after 2016, even though the Lacrosse itself improved substantially for the 2017 redesign.

I think that Cadillac, however, deserves credit for introducing two new sedans (really 4-door coupes LOL) at a time when SUVs are the current rage. Time will tell how well they do, although Jill doesn't think they will be around very long.
The new Cadillacs won’t sell because crossovers make a better purchase for the price.

Successful vehicles don’t get cancelled. Toyota and Lexus just own that segment.it.
Toyota and Lexus certainly do.
Old 02-27-20, 07:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
They *may* be on the right track. I have thought for years that pricing was a huge issue. They would set their prices competitive with German sedans, and just rely on the Cadillac name and -- with the ATS -- better handling. Oh, and that pricing still included a long list of options. The ATS had a lot wrong with it, but if they had used the Hyundai/Kia model -- lots more features and content for a competitive price -- maybe they would have picked off some more customers. $60K for a CT5-V may be that step. It wouldn't happen overnight, but it worked for the Koreans.

But the XT4 does not follow that model, and still will have to rely on incentives and rebates to get there.

But--I'm one guy with no background in marketing or car sales at all. So I would think GM could come up with some ideas.
marketing is about a lot more than pricing, but sure, it's a factor.
Old 02-27-20, 07:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The closest anyone came was Lincoln with their MKz they currently have. The ES is better though.
The ES is better in some ways....primarily reliability. I found the latest MKZ, though, more pleasant to drive than recent ES models....not the older ES models, which were excellent.

Cant argue against facts.
True, but some so-called facts are subjective. Steve is correct that the Lacrosse lost its popularity and failed, but that doesn't change the fact (as I pointed out) that the Lacrosse was able to compete wery well against the ES for years.

The new Cadillacs won’t sell because crossovers make a better purchase for the price.
The market will determine that....not your prediction (or mine, for that matter). Right now, Cadillac's biggest problem is that Lincoln is making what are (probably) better crossovers and SUVs for the money.

Even when I predicted that the new Bronco would outsell the Blazer, I also said that I would stand corrected if it turns out I was wrong.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-27-20 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-27-20, 07:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

The ES is better than the MKZ far and away.
Old 02-27-20, 07:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The ES is better than the MKZ far and away.

Well, I respect your view, but don't totally agree with it. The MKZ also does not offer an AWD option. The upcoming CT5 and CT4 will, as I understand it.

I would indeed bet on the ES, though, if I were doing a long-term reliability comparison.
Old 02-27-20, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Buyers agree, hence why the MKZ failed.
Old 02-27-20, 08:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, yes, pretty much the same story as the Lacrosse. But the difference is, the MKZ was never as popular years ago as the Lacrosse was, partly because so many buyers were choosing the popular Fusion instead. Up until the 2017 MKZ mid-cycle refresh (which improved it significantly), I myself thought the Fusion was a better car for less money.

Some here are predicting the CT5 and CT4 will fall flat on their faces.....I say it's too early to predict that, though I myself went out on a limb some with the Bronco.

In your particular case, it probably doesn't matter, since you never seem to show any interest in FWD sedans...you look at RWD/AWD ones.
Old 02-27-20, 08:08 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I think the CT5 will do fine. I doubt it'll be some smash hit, but I think it'll sustain itself okay.
Old 02-27-20, 08:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I think the CT5 will do fine. I doubt it'll be some smash hit, but I think it'll sustain itself okay.

One thing that might (?) help it is that, apart from the aging Chrysler 300, it will have little or no domestic competition....and even the term "domestic" is arguable since Chrysler is part of FCA. All of the other larger GM sedans are gone, and the Continental and MKZ will soon also be gone.
Old 02-27-20, 08:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Having driven a Chrysler 300 recently, I doubt it'll be seen a legitimate competition for a CT5. The 300 is a fairly lazy, big car in comparison. Sure it has a RWD layout, but that doesn't mean it's automatically a sport sedan. The CT5, at least, from what I have seen, is obviously more sport-oriented - like the Lexus GS for instance.
Old 02-27-20, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by arentz07
Having driven a Chrysler 300 recently, I doubt it'll be seen a legitimate competition for a CT5. The 300 is a fairly lazy, big car in comparison. Sure it has a RWD layout, but that doesn't mean it's automatically a sport sedan. The CT5, at least, from what I have seen, is obviously more sport-oriented - like the Lexus GS for instance.
You make at least somewhat of a case. Like I said before, the 300 is aging, while the CT5 will be state-of-the-art. The question, though, is if the CT5 will be too sport-oriented for some buyers. We'll see how the Premium-Luxury version sells....not everyone is going to want the V-models.
Old 02-27-20, 08:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The 300 is ancient. Nobody will cross shop the two.
Old 02-27-20, 08:53 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Funny you should mention the MKZ and the 300. Haven’t driven either one, but if the Stinger inventory doesn’t improve (or incentives on new ones don’t get much better), I’m actually thinking about getting either one of them as a CPO (although the FCA CPO program blows in comparison to the Lincoln). Both can be had for ~$20-$25k. It’d be interesting to test drive the MKZ AWD w/ the 3.0 TT engine or the 300 w/ Hemi (the hemi is quite a bit more than the Pentastar).

Old 02-27-20, 09:02 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

If the MKZ was a success, there would be a new generation coming...not a cancellation.

Quick Reply: 2020 Cadillac CT5 (pricing update post #56)