Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Here's Why The McLaren F1 is the Greatest Car Ever Made - Doug Demuro

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 09:35 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Here's Why The McLaren F1 is the Greatest Car Ever Made - Doug Demuro

my all time favorite supercar, idk anyone who has at least somewhat of an admiration for mechanical engineering couldn't help but be infatuated by this masterpiece of a vehicle
Old 03-19-19, 11:31 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Nice car, but "greatest?" I guess it all depends on your values.

I can tell you the car that impressed me the most. Many years ago I spent a year as a college dropout in Addis Ababa, the capitol of impoverished Ethiopia, bordering Kenya in East Africa. Being a stranger in a strange land I tended to hang out with personnel in the American embassy.

One Saturday we set out in four rugged peasoup-green British Land Rovers to witness a mountain-top religious festival several hours away from Addis. The "road" to the top of the mountain was fine for pilgrims on foot, but really taxed the go-anywhere Land Rovers, with steepness, boulders, gravel, dropoffs, and overall lousy surfaces. But we pressed on.

An hour later and near the top, we passed by a hut perched on the side of the slope. And sitting next to it: an old but functional grey VW Bug.

To be able to survive that mountain road meant to me that THAT was a great machine.
Old 03-19-19, 01:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Ugh with each new review the more and more I can't stand this guy. He doesn't even know much about cars, I could list a ton of examples. He's not even that much younger than me (I'm 37) and basically dismissed the '90 LS400 as a big Camry, and clearly can't appreciate an old Cadillac.

He's just so dorky and not really funny when it's clear he's trying to be.

Tavarish is awesome and I think Hoovey is actually funny (and he gets his hands dirty, too), while all Doug does is annoy me and make stupid comments trying to be humorous, which he's not.

His Doug Score is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
Old 03-19-19, 01:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Ugh with each new review the more and more I can't stand this guy. He doesn't even know much about cars, I could list a ton of examples. He's not even that much younger than me (I'm 37) and basically dismissed the '90 LS400 as a big Camry, and clearly can't appreciate an old Cadillac.

He's just so dorky and not really funny when it's clear he's trying to be.

Tavarish is awesome and I think Hoovey is actually funny (and he gets his hands dirty, too), while all Doug does is annoy me and make stupid comments trying to be humorous, which he's not.

His Doug Score is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.
I don't mind Doug, but he is slipping quite a bit the last little while. Lately he has been reviewing very popular models like a Toyota Rav4 for instance, I am assuming to attract view, he is choosing some of these models. He is every branched out into reviewing houses.
Old 03-19-19, 02:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I still mainly watch is reviews, I do agree he is not funny, could do without the humor attempts or obsessing over what is in the manual but you learn a lot of things you don't normally learn from other reviewers because he goes into much more detail. He looks like and acts like a geeky guy in his mid to late 40's even though he is younger, he was not around or was way too young for some types of car/brand introductions he talks about(Acura Legend, LS400, Integra) like he was a car enthusiast back then. On more reviews or newer vehicles he seems to criticize sedans and coupes and almost dismisses them or sees no need for them because "everyone is into SUV's" which sounds very odd coming from someone who is claiming to be such a car enthusiasts.

He does have some clout if he is able to do a review from Jay Leno's garage on Jay Leno's car, he has been on Jay Leno's Garage too in the past.
Old 03-19-19, 02:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=UDel;10470666

He does have some clout if he is able to do a review from Jay Leno's garage on Jay Leno's car, he has been on Jay Leno's Garage too in the past.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I never knew he was on Jay Leno's garage
Old 03-19-19, 02:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
I still mainly watch is reviews, I do agree he is not funny, could do without the humor attempts or obsessing over what is in the manual but you learn a lot of things you don't normally learn from other reviewers because he goes into much more detail. He looks like and acts like a geeky guy in his mid to late 40's even though he is younger, he was not around or was way too young for some types of car/brand introductions he talks about(Acura Legend, LS400, Integra) like he was a car enthusiast back then. On more reviews or newer vehicles he seems to criticize sedans and coupes and almost dismisses them or sees no need for them because "everyone is into SUV's" which sounds very odd coming from someone who is claiming to be such a car enthusiasts.

He does have some clout if he is able to do a review from Jay Leno's garage on Jay Leno's car, he has been on Jay Leno's Garage too in the past.
Yeah I agree his star is rising, and I'm not hating, but I just don't think this guy is any good. He doesn't even know what the PWR switch actually does or what it's for--how could anyone who is a car person not know that? I do agree that some of the stuff he points out is interesting, but as more time goes on the more I start to skip his reviews because he annoys me more than anything and half the time he doesn't know what he's talking about.

The premise of his reviews are very interesting (like here's an 560SEL from 1991), but the content isn't up to par, and it's clear he is ignorant about many things car-related.

Old 03-19-19, 02:36 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by riredale
To be able to survive that mountain road meant to me that THAT was a great machine.
or, because the beetle is so simple and basic it's not like it has much to go wrong

when he says the "greatest car" it's implied he means sports car, if the greatest car just meant best offroader that really doesn't say much
Old 03-19-19, 02:40 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,726 Likes on 1,898 Posts

I stopped watching Doug DeMuro a while back, but I am tempted to watch this one just because of the F1. It's a very intriguing car - has legendary status in the car world as far as I know.

But I stopped watching because he's made a couple of low-key racist/stereotyping comments in reviews (the most recent example being the Toyota Century review), and he doesn't own up to it. Instead he responds with an actual Wikipedia article to back up his stereotyping. Classy guy, he is...
Old 03-19-19, 02:42 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yeah I agree his star is rising, and I'm not hating, but I just don't think this guy is any good. He doesn't even know what the PWR switch actually does or what it's for--how could anyone who is a car person not know that? I do agree that some of the stuff he points out is interesting, but as more time goes on the more I start to skip his reviews because he annoys me more than anything and half the time he doesn't know what he's talking about.

The premise of his reviews are very interesting (like here's an 560SEL from 1991), but the content isn't up to par, and it's clear he is ignorant about many things car-related.
he's very "cringey" lol... and frequently he lets me down on all the most exciting cars by never unleashing them in a satisfying manner, and yes his "funniness" is often just stupidity lol
Old 03-19-19, 02:44 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arentz07
But I stopped watching because he's made a couple of low-key racist/stereotyping comments in reviews (the most recent example being the Toyota Century review), and he doesn't own up to it. Instead he responds with an actual Wikipedia article to back up his stereotyping. Classy guy, he is...
well i wouldn't totally stop watching someone just because they made a potentially racist remark, what exactly did he say lol
Old 03-19-19, 02:48 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Stroock639
well i wouldn't totally stop watching someone just because they made a potentially racist remark, what exactly did he say lol
Well, that's your personal choice.

He pretty much said that he didn't fit in the Century as well as he thought because, essentially, the Japanese people it was built for were a lot smaller than him. Not in so many words.

I mean, it wasn't really necessary.

To be honest, I also kinda agree with AJT123 that he is just lazy and uninformed. I see other channels that actually do their homework and enjoy far fewer views, which is a shame. Hoovey is a great example, which is ironic since they both work for Autotrader. Now, Hoovey isn't as up-to-speed on brand-new cars, which he has stated in his videos, but he is very into the cars he presents on. Maybe, subconsciously, I was looking for a reason to stop my prior addiction to Doug's videos.
Old 03-19-19, 03:18 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arentz07
Well, that's your personal choice.

He pretty much said that he didn't fit in the Century as well as he thought because, essentially, the Japanese people it was built for were a lot smaller than him. Not in so many words.

I mean, it wasn't really necessary.

To be honest, I also kinda agree with AJT123 that he is just lazy and uninformed. I see other channels that actually do their homework and enjoy far fewer views, which is a shame. Hoovey is a great example, which is ironic since they both work for Autotrader. Now, Hoovey isn't as up-to-speed on brand-new cars, which he has stated in his videos, but he is very into the cars he presents on. Maybe, subconsciously, I was looking for a reason to stop my prior addiction to Doug's videos.
oh come on that's nothing racist lol... the japanese are literally on average slightly shorter than white people

a much better reason to not watch him is that he's just kind of annoying a lot of the time, i definitely wouldn't call him lazy since he does genuinely constantly hustle to get like at least 2 videos out every week going all over the place to film cars

i too like hoovey more as a person but i don't care about 20 min of vlogging for something that would only take like 2-3 minutes to say
Old 03-21-19, 12:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

@2.6+ million subscribers this guy is doing something right $$$$$$$$$$

Personally I don't care for his humor attempts and his overall nerdiness also and when he kneels on dirty ground then shows his dirty knees inside the vehicle.

Last edited by bagwell; 03-21-19 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-21-19, 12:28 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by bagwell
@2.6+ million subscribers this guy is doing something right $$$$$$$$$$

Personally I don't care for his humor attempts and his overall nerdiness also and when he kneels on dirty ground then shows his dirty knees inside the vehicle.
Remember that time he scratched the rear seat of an RC F on camera? He was trying to pull down the rear armrest and carelessly did so with his fingernails. I'd be upset if I was the owner.

edit: To be clear, the seats were black, and you could see a white dot/speck after he tried pulling the armrest down.

Quick Reply: Here's Why The McLaren F1 is the Greatest Car Ever Made - Doug Demuro