Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you have a dashcam in your vehicle?
Yes
58.73%
No
41.27%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a dashcam in your vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 05:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I was thinking today, heavy traffic, raining, and as I was sitting in the rocking chair, having a rear in addition to the front at some point will be necessary.

This is not what I use daily, but I own this one too--got it when it was deal of the day for $41.99. It's all about the sensor, in reality....I don't know what the latest greatest is today, but last August, the Sony IMX323 was current....I was thinking about sticking this on the rear and running the power to the rear 12V. Hardly neat, and then there would be 2X the amount of video....which is why a front/rear system is nice to have (someday)...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GYGVY5/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GYGVY5/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&psc=1
Old 03-21-19, 05:42 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I only have two, but I want to put four in to catch people carelessly denting our side doors.
The only problem is trying to mount the two side rear window cameras on the glass of the side rear windows etc.
That would require recording (possibly motion detection) while parked with the engine off. Wouldn't that drain the car battery?
Old 03-21-19, 05:55 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
https://www.lifewire.com/are-dash-cams-legal-534879

I'm not sure why it would be illegal to have an OEM built-in dashcam? Built-in has little windscreen obstruction.
Maybe under the electronic surveillance clause?
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that there's no expectation of privacy in public areas. So dashcam video recording might be ok there. But if one drives into private property, etc it may not be as legal to record without getting permission first.
Old 03-21-19, 06:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Natey2
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that there's no expectation of privacy in public areas. So dashcam video recording might be ok there. But if one drives into private property, etc it may not be as legal to record without getting permission first.
This is getting dicey, such as doing YouTubes around police stations and filming into the police officers' cars, license plates, etc., to get a response. We've sorta lost common sense and imho misconstrued the Constitution.

Seems like in San Francisco they have a work around which enables them to put the person into handcuffs, take their sweet time in filling out a piece of paper, and then letting them go. I find the entire situation to be strange.
Old 03-21-19, 07:21 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
I see so many $12 cams on aliexpress.

Does anyone have a cheap one under $15 they can recommend?

Ain't gonna spend $100 for a rexing, which I already have.
but I also know super cheap cams aren't all great either. Just need a cheap one for my other car.
I know it's not under $15, but the first cam I bought was like $27 CAD shipped from an online reseller (GearBest). It's an unbranded cam, model no. A118C-B40C. Handles up to 64gb cards I think, records in 1080p/30fps. I like this camera because it's discrete and also has a small screen for video review and easy menu navigation. I used it for a good six months in hot and cold temps with no issues, and only took it out to upgrade to a dual cam setup.

I'd go with the sport cam 98SNAKETR if you want to keep the price low. I have an SJ5000X Elite that I bought for a Mexico trip in 2015 and it worked great, but I wasn't using it as a dashcam.

Last edited by sm1ke; 03-21-19 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 08:00 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i think its the audio recording of the interior of the car is what the legal qualms are with. Not hte video itself. Some states are two party consent, meaning both parties (driver and passengers) have to consent to being recorded. If a passenger is unknowingly recorded its "wiretapping" Here in Texas its one party consent, meaning the driver/dashcam owner consent is all that is needed. And yes audio is being recorded in all of my cars

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-21-19 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 08:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
i think its the audio recording of the interior of the car is what the legal qualms are with. Not hte video itself. Some states are two party consent, meaning both parties (driver and passengers) have to consent to being recorded. If a passenger is unknowingly recorded its "wiretapping" Here in Texas its one party consent, meaning the driver/dashcam owner consent is all that is needed. And yes audio is being recorded in all of my cars
I think it's a weak argument. The owner of the football team who won the Super Bowl is trying it.

It's like this....back in the day, a gym would ask you for your DOB and SS#. Why? Then they write it on a Post it that falls on the floor. You have a choice, and that is to not sign up for the gym. They have a choice, and that is to say no DOB with SS#? No joiney for you. Ditto for that football team's owner, he had a choice, and he made it.
Old 03-21-19, 08:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

That would require recording (possibly motion detection) while parked with the engine off. Wouldn't that drain the car battery?
They have voltmeter settings that shut them off when parked if the battery drains too much, There are also secondary batteries you can buy that charge and power them when parked.
Old 03-21-19, 12:01 PM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cameras have a very low draw and can go weeks before draining your battery.

That being said, if you hardwire it using a parking kit, there's an adjustable low voltage cut-off that shuts down power to the camera(s) at your pre-set voltage.

I have a multi-camera DVR based system in my Land Cruiser and it has sat for weeks recording 24/7 without tripping the LVC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eWJ8W87KQMhe

The mini 0906 cams in my Scion gives you a couple parking mode choices.

When the ignition is turned off, it will either record after motion is detected within frame or record constantly at 2fps and automagically speed up the footage to ease review (Benny Hill mode)

At my house in Orlando, there's rarely any movement, so I set it to motion detect.

However, at my house in NYC where everything is always moving, motion detection mode would constantly record, so I set it to Benny Hill mode when I'm up here.

Here's what 2fps looks like in front of my shop

Old 03-21-19, 12:13 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98SNAKETR
These cameras have a very low draw and can go weeks before draining your battery.

That being said, if you hardwire it using a parking kit, there's an adjustable low voltage cut-off that shuts down power to the camera(s) at your pre-set voltage.

I have a multi-camera DVR based system in my Land Cruiser and it has sat for weeks recording 24/7 without tripping the LVC

When the ignition is turned off, it will either record after motion is detected within frame or record constantly at 2fps and automagically speed up the footage to ease review (Benny Hill mode)

At my house in Orlando, there's rarely any movement, so I set it to motion detect.

However, at my house in NYC where everything is always moving, motion detection mode would constantly record, so I set it to Benny Hill mode when I'm up here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXMP95eK560
I just thought of the Benny Hill where there was a coin toss and it went into the ref's (I think it was a ref not a player) uniform and came out
Old 03-22-19, 06:18 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXMP95eK560
I don't know where or how you get weeks of non-stop recording in your dash cam, but normally, that is not the case. 24 hours, I would imagine, would be about normal. I have a front facing Thinkware dash cam, hardwired to my cars' electrical system and it shuts itself off after about 12 hours in parking mode.. I don't have the timer set to twelve hours, either, it's the voltage drain on the battery that shuts it off. They make battery packs for them that you can get an extra 24 hours out of them. Never seen one that could go weeks. Left on 24/7, a dash cam will drain your battery pretty quick. They are certainly not low voltage/low current draw devices.

Old 03-22-19, 06:39 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I don't know where or how you get weeks of non-stop recording in your dash cam, but normally, that is not the case. 24 hours, I would imagine, would be about normal. I have a front facing Thinkware dash cam, hardwired to my cars' electrical system and it shuts itself off after about 12 hours in parking mode.. I don't have the timer set to twelve hours, either, it's the voltage drain on the battery that shuts it off. They make battery packs for them that you can get an extra 24 hours out of them. Never seen one that could go weeks. Left on 24/7, a dash cam will drain your battery pretty quick. They are certainly not low voltage/low current draw devices.
Might wanna have your battery/electrical system checked out

The 5 cameras in my Scion has gone weeks in parking mode without hitting the LVC

That being said, with all the other electrical draws on modern cars, it's not uncommon for a new car (with or without dash cams) to have a their battery run low after sitting for a while.

I've done quite a bit of bench testing with these things in my shop using isolated batteries (the same ones we sell on the rack) and the majority of the smaller capacitor base models have very low draw.

On the other hand, the systems I install on city buses are definitely power hogs

12 cameras and hundreds of feet of wiring feeding a triple fan cooled DVR the size of a case of beer will definiltey drain a battery lol
Old 03-22-19, 07:05 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Might wanna have your battery/electrical system checked out

The 5 cameras in my Scion has gone weeks in parking mode without hitting the LVC

That being said, with all the other electrical draws on modern cars, it's not uncommon for a new car (with or without dash cams) to have a their battery run low after sitting for a while.

I've done quite a bit of bench testing with these things in my shop using isolated batteries (the same ones we sell on the rack) and the majority of the smaller capacitor base models have very low draw.

On the other hand, the systems I install on city buses are definitely power hogs

12 cameras and hundreds of feet of wiring feeding a triple fan cooled DVR the size of a case of beer will definiltey drain a battery lol
I laugh at how life has changed with no expectation of privacy. Again, if you didn't do anything wrong, who cares that someone is recording you, even your body parts lol

Although sometimes I treat life the way it should be. A few years ago at a parade, this couple who were vaping blew smoke in my son's face and he was about 2. My wife asked them not to do it. So they did it again and also in her face. I got in the woman's face and said you better not do that again--she pulls out her iPhone and says what are you going to do about it, I'm filming you. I pushed her back. She goes what are you doing, I said I'm filming you. I pushed her again. Her b/f gets in my face, I push him as well, and pull out a sony HD camcorder and say now I'm filming you too. Cameras should not prevent us from doing what's right. Although I dunno why but sometimes I think I'm Steven Segal when he was young. I'll save that story for another time lol
Old 03-22-19, 08:37 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

this was really funny to read, thank you for sharing
Old 03-22-19, 04:04 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I got the Yi Dashcam for $30 on Amazon. It is so dirt cheap, effective, and easy to install.

Quick Reply: Do you have a dashcam in your vehicle?