Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you have a dashcam in your vehicle?
Yes
58.73%
No
41.27%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have a dashcam in your vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 04:21 PM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Do you have a dashcam in your vehicle?

Do you have a dashcam in your vehicle?
Old 03-19-19, 04:24 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

I only have two, but I want to put four in to catch people carelessly denting our side doors.
The only problem is trying to mount the two side rear window cameras on the glass of the side rear windows etc.
Old 03-19-19, 04:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

No. Not interested. But I would support them if they were mandatory from the factory new.
Old 03-19-19, 06:51 PM
ABC
Racer

Just bought a cheap one (Pruveeo F5 + hardwire fuse kit) to play with and see how i like it. Will be installing it into my IS soon.
Old 03-19-19, 06:57 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ABC
Just bought a cheap one (Pruveeo F5 + hardwire fuse kit) to play with and see how i like it. Will be installing it into my IS soon.
It's the one I got and happy with it (for the price).
Old 03-19-19, 07:17 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has a camera on the dash and another one on the rear window. I believe they should be mandatory in all vehicles. A lot of accident disputes, hit-and-runs, even crimes would be more easily resolved. Most new cars already have built-in cameras. It shouldn’t cost much to add a memory chip. The benefits easily outweighs the additional cost.
Old 03-19-19, 07:34 PM
ABC
Racer

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
It's the one I got and happy with it (for the price).
Excellent, happy to hear that. it had some decent reviews on reddit as well, so i figured it's worth the $30 to try it.
Old 03-19-19, 07:37 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I've got a Nexar dash camera. I paid $80 for it but got a full rebate because I was one of the first 1500 in Vegas to buy one. I haven't run it for a while because I took some video of a snowstorm in December with it. I don't want to overwrite it but can't find my SD card adapter to pull the video...so it's just riding around unplugged until i get that squared away.
Old 03-19-19, 08:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Mine has a camera on the dash and another one on the rear window. I believe they should be mandatory in all vehicles. A lot of accident disputes, hit-and-runs, even crimes would be more easily resolved. Most new cars already have built-in cameras. It shouldn’t cost much to add a memory chip. The benefits easily outweighs the additional cost.
Great points.
Old 03-20-19, 01:15 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by BrickHead
Apparently a number of government bodies prohibit dashcams, hence manufacturers have not added wiring for OEM recording.

Old 03-20-19, 05:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Yes, I got a portable one with GPS. There was a deal of the day where it was $80, but usually it is $149.99 every day at amazon. Very used to it and I find it lessens commuting frustration. One time when a pickup cut me off badly, I simply wanted to demonstrate what the cam could do. I got his license plate off the cam, and found the vehicle information. So if anything had happened, rather than being anonymous, there would be a way to hold the driver accountable. I have also learned the limitations of 1080p 30fps, it's ability to show license plates clearly, and memory cards--normal memory cards are not designed to be constantly written to, something to keep in mind. Would I like a BlackVue 4k? Who wouldn't. But I don't think I want to spend that much yet. If data were unlimited (truly), cloud backup for sure. This is one cue that imho we motorists should take from professional drivers who spend their work days on the road.
Old 03-20-19, 06:55 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i won't drive without them

Old 03-20-19, 07:05 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The amount of s#it I see on the road is unreal

I have an entire YouTube channel full of my own dash cam footage

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...1KNhfsDu0ht0-m

Old 03-20-19, 07:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

have 7 family vehicles, all of them have dash cams, even the Viper and LC
Old 03-20-19, 08:09 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Yes, I got a portable one with GPS. There was a deal of the day where it was $80, but usually it is $149.99 every day at amazon. Very used to it and I find it lessens commuting frustration. One time when a pickup cut me off badly, I simply wanted to demonstrate what the cam could do. I got his license plate off the cam, and found the vehicle information. So if anything had happened, rather than being anonymous, there would be a way to hold the driver accountable. I have also learned the limitations of 1080p 30fps, it's ability to show license plates clearly, and memory cards--normal memory cards are not designed to be constantly written to, something to keep in mind. Would I like a BlackVue 4k? Who wouldn't. But I don't think I want to spend that much yet. If data were unlimited (truly), cloud backup for sure. This is one cue that imho we motorists should take from professional drivers who spend their work days on the road.
Agree 100%. I have a Viofo A129 Duo (front and rear cam) that works great. No reason for me to upgrade unless I want higher resolution, but the 1080p/30fps works well enough. I burned through one 32gb memory card before learning that I should be using "high endurance" cards. I currently use a 32gb Transcend High Endurance card in a cheaper cam for my wife's car and a 256gb Samsung EVO card for the Viofo. That cam has saved me from paying for my insurance deductible on a hit-and-run, and also helped authorities catch an underage driver in an unregistered vehicle. It's also caught a TON of careless driver behavior, but I've been too busy to compile and upload it.

Quick Reply: Do you have a dashcam in your vehicle?