Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Luxury sedan sales for March 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19 | 01:36 AM
nicedude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by G Star
Bob04 and peteharvey have been repeating the same tired talking points in both car chat and 5LS forum for years now. Obvious trolls are obvious trolls.
Haha. Either trolling or "old" people hating on change. Could be both. It sucks, but people need to move on.
Old 04-11-19 | 01:40 AM
nicedude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bob04
I think it would be interesting to see the totals listed in the original post every month with a plus/minus difference from the previous month/year. Maybe even add in the big luxury SUV totals. With gas prices going up, we might see another shift in the market in the coming months/years.
And post it in the 5LS section so 5LS owners can provide their insights too. There is already a monthly sales thread on the top of the Car Chat section that you can contribute to too. Why not post specific full size luxury sedan sales in there?
Old 04-11-19 | 01:48 AM
nicedude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peteharvey

However, are full size luxury sedan sales diminishing?
Well not for the "midsize" luxury sedan market.
Look at E Class below.

Thus, the peak annual sales for the E Class is getting higher and higher! Who ever said that midsize luxury sedan sales were diminishing to SUV's?

There is absolutely NO reason for the 4GS base and luxury models to be fitted with firm seats and firm spring and damper rates, with louder than normal noise.
Fittingly, by 2016 the midlife refreshed 4.5GS was made smoother and quieter.

The sporting luxury front mid-engined 5LS was already approved, so we can only wait for the midlife refreshed 5.5LS.

When a company continually changes their sports-luxury suspension settings, you know they are confused.
I believe Toyota/Lexus will eventually settle down with a happy medium.
This is what I mean by old people ramblings... We are talking about the LS and you keep bringing up the GS. Different size segment and you use one competitor to define the market. Really? First the S Class, now you rolling with the E Class. No mention of the 5 Series and the A6?

The GS has to compete with the ES. You know that right? And what is your obsession of making cars "smoother and quieter" during mid-cycle refreshes? What do you think Lexus is suppose to do? Make the car worse? Have you seen and driven the 2016 GS and compared it to the 2013? Really? Look at it and tell me you believe what you are typing...
Old 04-11-19 | 01:54 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nicedude
This is the second time now I have to tell you to refer to my earlier post that you skipped. It is post #126 btw. Read it for once. Oh yeah, there is nothing wrong with being sporty and firm. You can be sporty and firm and yet be smooth and quiet. I question your knowledge about these examples you keep bringing up. Toyota/Lexus is moving forward with being more sporty each new generation (that doesn't mean it cannot be smooth and quiet too). Unfortunately, overall refinement has declined due to the sporty pursuit.

All this other stuff you talking about sounds like rambling at this point. Concept this, concept that. You all over the place. 6-sided windows... Fake news opinion.

In regards to trunk space, I am referring to the MT Comparison: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/gene...ontinental-30/

The LS has 17 cu ft trunk, the G90 at 15.7, and the 7 Series at 14.8. The S Class was not in the comparison and I am not surprised if it did have a bigger trunk than all of them. The S Class is bigger than the LS.
One of my staff owns 2015 Camry V6, and coil springs much firmer than previous generations.
I have test driven latest Camry V6, and the spring rates are much more compliant than previously.
A number of CL members owned both original 4GS & midlife refteshed 4.5GS, and they say the updates feel at least a little more luxurious & softer than before.
Part numbers indicate that springs & dampers have indeed been changed.

Also the front mid-engine has robbed 5LS of cabin length.
I'm happy for 5LS to be even more firm, with even greater front mid-mounted engine - so long as 5LS is NOT another loss making white elephant like LFA, RC & LC.

You need to research more on the Lexus LF-FC show car.
It is said to be a clickbait for 5LS.
Although styling veey subjective, so I wouldn't get too hung up over subjectivity.

Run flats compromize 5LS ride.
Without a spare tire, not sure why 5LS trunk so shallow.

The official EPA trunk volumes:
S Class 18.8 cu ft
7 Series 18.2 cu ft
5LS 17 cu ft.

I don't understand the new EPA method of measuring, but all trunk volumes are now bigger.
Maybe the EPA now includes under floor compartment volume too?

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/0...tch-the-truth/

In real life, 5LS trunk looks tiny compared to previous LS's & the competition.

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-11-19 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-11-19 | 02:43 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

End of the day, the 4LS struggled to maintain market share after 2008, while the S Class bounced back after initially struggling too. What is your obsession of only comparing the LS to the S Class? What about the 7 Series? The market is bigger than just the S Class.

I don't think you get it. The market has changed so much in such a short amount of time. The Model S and Panamera came in and took up most of the LS market share, while the S Class and 7 Series maintained. And the Model S and Panamera are sporty first before old school luxury.
S Class bounced back quicker thanks to major update in 2010.
4LS did not get major update till 2013.

S Class is the yardstick by which all others are compared to.

And why hasn't Model S, Panamera & Maserati Quattroporte been able to take S Class & 7 Series's market share?

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-11-19 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-11-19 | 03:54 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

And post it in the 5LS section so 5LS owners can provide their insights too. There is already a monthly sales thread on the top of the Car Chat section that you can contribute to too. Why not post specific full size luxury sedan sales in there?
Unless you like the car, you aren't really welcome to post in 5LS. Only repetitive positive comments are welcome.
Old 04-11-19 | 04:15 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Haha. Either trolling or "old" people hating on change. Could be both. It sucks, but people need to move on.
So you own a 5LS?
Old 04-11-19 | 04:26 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

This is what I mean by old people ramblings... We are talking about the LS and you keep bringing up the GS. Different size segment and you use one competitor to define the market. Really? First the S Class, now you rolling with the E Class. No mention of the 5 Series and the A6?

The GS has to compete with the ES. You know that right? And what is your obsession of making cars "smoother and quieter" during mid-cycle refreshes? What do you think Lexus is suppose to do? Make the car worse? Have you seen and driven the 2016 GS and compared it to the 2013? Really? Look at it and tell me you believe what you are typing...
Let me answer your question/s.

Because the 4GS is a good example of where President Akio made the 4GS firmer/noisier/sportier, but sales fell by a good 33% from the 3GS's debut of 33k units/yr in 2005 to 4GS's 22k units/yr in 2012 - and this happened at a time when E Class boosted its peak sales from 2004's 58k to 2013's 69k units - so no excuses for 4GS to fall in sales.

Even further proof is when a number of CL members who own both the original 4GS and the midlife refreshed 4.5GS say that the midlife refresh is a softer and more luxurious car.

First firming the original 4GS, and then softening the midlife updated 4.5GS shows that President Akio with his no more boring cars is confused about who he wants to be.

5LS has been approved for production long before Lexus reverted from no more boring firm loud sports back to soft comfort & quietness.

I have said before that I am more than happy for Lexus to turn the 5LS into an F1 car and market it to Generation Z rich infants & toddlers - as long as the 5LS is not another loss making white elephant. Do you know what's wrong with having a white elephant?
It's not about being old luxury or new sports, but about meeting the needs of consumers to sell in self-sufficient quantities - as opposed to making another loss as a white elefantus.
It is pointless to market to a group of infants/toddlers who refuse to purchase your white elephant in sufficient quantities...

Last edited by peteharvey; 04-11-19 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-11-19 | 04:50 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Nobody is ever going to look at the LS like it's a Panamera or Jag. Now Lexus has redesigned it so that nobody looks at it like a S Class or 7 Series either. They basically created a compromise car with no identity. Outside of appliance like reliability, there is really nothing that it does that makes it a leader in anything. In an attempt to make everyone happy, they end up making almost nobody happy, and sales are showing it.
Old 04-11-19 | 05:58 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody is ever going to look at the LS like it's a Panamera or Jag. Now Lexus has redesigned it so that nobody looks at it like a S Class or 7 Series either. They basically created a compromise car with no identity.
I disagree. I think there are people that will look at the new Ls as something as an alternative to the Panamera or Jag XJ. Add in the LC and Lexus is going after a different type/class of buyer. I still think we need to view the LS sales with all the world markets combined to understand a better picture.

. In an attempt to make everyone happy, they end up making almost nobody happy, and sales are showing it.
This is a great line that it’s put. The press do love it, so they are happy
Old 04-11-19 | 06:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

In an attempt to make everyone happy, they end up making almost nobody happy, and sales are showing it.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is a great line that it’s put. The press do love it, so they are happy
Most of the auto press (fortunately, not all of them), is almost always out of touch with the average vehicle-buyer of today. But Bob04 is correct.....the LS has departed from what was making at least a traditional group of core-buyers happy, and is now out in No-Man's Land.
Old 04-11-19 | 06:18 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I disagree. I think there are people that will look at the new Ls as something as an alternative to the Panamera or Jag XJ. Add in the LC and Lexus is going after a different type/class of buyer. I still think we need to view the LS sales with all the world markets combined to understand a better picture.

Panamera sales actually went up during the release months of the LS. It actually outsold the LS in April 2018 when the LS should have been dominating sales with demand for a just released product. Panamera sales were up almost 1500 units from 2017 to 2018. 2018 was it's best sales year ever. Obviously the release of the LS500 had zero effect on it's sales.

Last month, it outsold the LS 703 to 457. And the Panamera is outselling the LS so far this year 1698 to 1404. Almost 100 units per month. That is unbelievable.
Old 04-11-19 | 06:18 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

The people who defend the LS, would be curious how many of them %-wise have driven it?

Again, I draw an analogy. When I got the 1998 Maxima, I wanted the 2000 model to be a further step in the direction of being a legit 4DSC. Yet it was more of the same, really ugly from the rear, and ultimately the Maxima marque utterly collapsed as such in 2004. I would say it's 2004 for the LS. And we as human beings always seem to get into the "you only like the one you have and are sour grapes about the newer one." Not really I would say the 3rd gen Maxima was the best, it had an independent rear, was lighter, and yes timing belt on the V6 but maybe a better iteration of the motor (although they all went 400k+ like it's nothing).

On the LS? I would say 2nd gen or 3rd gen is best.
Old 04-11-19 | 06:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
On the LS? I would say 2nd gen or 3rd gen is best.
IMO, LS430...hands-down. Best combination of refinement, quality, comfort, and smoothness/quietness that Lexus has ever produced. It was almost guaranteed to lower one's blood pressure after a stressful day at work.

The people who defend the LS, would be curious how many of them %-wise have driven it?
Steve and I often don't agree, but, given his position as an LS owner/leaser, and someone who thoroughly checked out both the LS460 and LS500, I think his opinion can be taken seriously. He chose the 460 after a thorough examination of the 500.
Old 04-11-19 | 06:33 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Panamera sales actually went up during the release months of the LS. It actually outsold the LS in April 2018 when the LS should have been dominating sales with demand for a just released product. Panamera sales were up almost 1500 units from 2017 to 2018. 2018 was it's best sales year ever. Obviously the release of the LS500 had zero effect on it's sales.

Last month, it outsold the LS 703 to 457. And the Panamera is outselling the LS so far this year 1698 to 1404. Almost 100 units per month. That is unbelievable.
The Panamera sales numbers kind of shows that the direction Lexus is going with the LS is the right one.

Quick Reply: Luxury sedan sales for March 2019