Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Impressions after Renting a Range Rover HSE

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 06:19 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
My buddy made a comment what college did he go to, as in buying an unreliable vehicle, then bragging about how many repairs it needed, was a sign of being less intelligent, not more. I guess human beings need to redeem poor decision-making somehow? lol Like me, I sold facebook stock at 41. I can brag about how much I made on VMW (on paper), but it doesn't really negate my poor decision to sell facebook at 41 (I had it at 19 and had bought more in the 20's, not good, scary actually).

I thought the range rover was tiny on cargo, smaller than a CR-V? Although I'll be the first to admit I cannot discern the various models they offer. I know that every gen of X5 is tiny, and I thought Range Rovers were about the same
well i first bought bitcoin back in 2012 when it was under $100 per BTC, and now look where it is...

i'd only buy enough BTC at a time to make the occasional silk road purchase since i wasn't sure how long either would really be a thing for, then silk road got seized so i kinda stopped being interested which turned out to be a great move lol... oh well i still have .74 BTC which cost me maybe $70 or so at the time, so i guess i technically still did quite well but oh man i try not to think about what would've happened had i only bought more of it back then
Old 04-10-19, 06:26 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Always one person. Your experience is not the norm by far, there's a reason why the car has poor reviews on reliability because it's a fact Range Rovers are pieces of ****. They are status symbols that's it, the only reason my sister even got one is because she's a rich Tech Exec and wanted something that "Matched her status". Now she has a G Wagon which I also think is stupid but at least that thing has been reliable.
My friend's brand new '18 disco was finally lemon lawed after 3 transmission problem, all 3 time had to be towed.

But it was my friend and not me, so I guess it doesn't count as data
Old 04-10-19, 08:43 PM
kwr
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Always one person. Your experience is not the norm by far, there's a reason why the car has poor reviews on reliability because it's a fact Range Rovers are pieces of ****. They are status symbols that's it, the only reason my sister even got one is because she's a rich Tech Exec and wanted something that "Matched her status". Now she has a G Wagon which I also think is stupid but at least that thing has been reliable.
How do you know my experience is abnormal? BTW, you don’t (and I really don’t care ). For most part, the question is rhetorical. The high resale value and repeat buyers likely means the negative reviews are offset by positive ownership experiences. Someone is buying them. Surely, there is more to the story...
Old 04-11-19, 08:55 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
How do you know my experience is abnormal? BTW, you don’t (and I really don’t care ). For most part, the question is rhetorical. The high resale value and repeat buyers likely means the negative reviews are offset by positive ownership experiences. Someone is buying them. Surely, there is more to the story...
How do I know? Because every single person I know with one has had numerous issues. Not electrical issues but catastrophic failures such as transmissions going out or it just shuts off leaving them stranded. Not to mention if you just google, you'll see the overwhelming articles about the reliability being poor. So yes your experience is abnormal.
Old 04-11-19, 10:25 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr
High resale value? From what I have seen, that's not the case.
Old 04-11-19, 12:51 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
High resale value? From what I have seen, that's not the case.
I believe both the Toyota Land Cruiser and full size Range Rover models have similar resale values...if you compare models typically costing around $90k for both brands, the resale value is about the same. Usually takes about 5+ years and you'll pay about half of the MSRP price. The other comparison might be a similarly equipped Lexus GX vs the Range Rover Sport...but you'll likely find cheaper used Lexus GX models than used Range Rover Sports.

Anything that is on par with Toyota/Lexus resale (in this case the Range Rover and its smaller sibling the Range Rover Sport) I would say has high resale value.

Its crazy to think that a brand that is notorious for being unreliable has resale value on par with one of the most reliable brands out there
Old 04-14-19, 10:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,950 Posts

They are fabulous vehicles. Without a doubt the nicest to drive SUVs I've driven. Reliability, definitely hit or miss.
Old 04-14-19, 03:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They are fabulous vehicles. Without a doubt the nicest to drive SUVs I've driven.
......better than the Land Cruiser/LX570?
Old 04-14-19, 03:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From most appealing:

1. Lincoln Navigator
2. Land Cruiser
3. Range Rover
4. Lexus LX570
Old 04-14-19, 03:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
From most appealing:

1. Lincoln Navigator
2. Land Cruiser
3. Range Rover
4. Lexus LX570

The new Navigator has been a huge success for Lincoln and the Aviator and Nautilus seem to be on the same track. Congratulations to the Lincoln division.
Old 04-14-19, 04:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not even a contest, RR is much nicer to drive, much nicer inside too.
Old 04-14-19, 04:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not even a contest, RR is much nicer to drive, much nicer inside too.
Land Cruiser is a different targeted buyer, but same income level if not higher than a RR. LX and RR compete together. Neither are better than a Navigator.
Old 04-14-19, 04:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Land Cruiser is a different targeted buyer, but same income level if not higher than a RR. LX and RR compete together. Neither are better than a Navigator.
I'd never buy a Navigator over a Range Rover. I would buy a Navigator over an LX.
Old 04-14-19, 05:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The LX, at least the latest one, seems to be perhaps the only Lexus product still using some of the nice durable, well-finished interior materials and bank-vault doors of yesteryear, (though not as solid as the ones on the Mercedes G-Wagen, which was not at the show, as M-B, for reasons I don't know, did not have a display this year. I looked at an LX at the D.C. show, and it was the only current Lexus product I was really impressed with, though some of that can still be found in the current GX. I'll take Steve's word on driving a RR (having not sampled one myself)...but, IMO, it's hard to beat the way the LX is built on the inside and the G-Wagon on the outside.

BTW, I know I need to sample a RR myself. if possible, I might do that in the near future, even though I don't have any review-requests for it. I've tried to once or twice in the past, but the supply/demand situation for RRs in the D.C. area usually mean very few in stock, especially unsold ones. And, obviously, people need money to buy these things, as they start at roughly 100K....though I suspect that the majority of them, even in the D.C. area here with lots of money, are leased.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-14-19 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-14-19, 05:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The new Navigator has been a huge success for Lincoln and the Aviator and Nautilus seem to be on the same track. Congratulations to the Lincoln division.
I do agree. I think Lincoln has done it right with their Navigator. I am interested to see where Toyota goes with their body on frame models, they have had a very long time to watch and think things through and see where the market goes. I really hope they don’t mess up their past ways of doing their body on frames as I have always found them very satisfying and quite appealing.

Quick Reply: Impressions after Renting a Range Rover HSE