Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Lexus IS Might get a BMW 3.0-Liter Straight-Six

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 02:10 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
Since you are such an expert on the 2JZ engine, you should get Chairman Stroock to hire you as the Chief 2JZ Engineer, and your chief responsibility will be to resurrect the 2JZ engine.
im glad you see the value in having me as chairman, and btw pretty much all those things I listed were actual complaints customers have given me as reasons for not wanting a particular toyota

but anyway I'd probably pass on mmarshall here since I'd like the supra to have a higher top speed than 80 lol
Old 04-17-19, 02:16 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,943 Likes on 2,479 Posts

2JZ is a beast of an engine we'll never see anything like it again. Way way too heavy and thirsty for a modern car and I would imagine extremely expensive to build the casting is top notch along with the alloys used. But that doesn't mean Toyota couldn't come up with a modern I-6 in the spirit of the JZ in fact I strongly believe this is exactly what Toyota should have done. Toyota used to be all about honouring tradition now they basically made a Supra knock-off.
Old 04-17-19, 05:52 PM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Can't criticize german reliability when the japanese don't really have powerplants in the same arena yet.
speak for yourself lexus/toyota owner, lexus/toyota is not the only japanese auto manufacturer, there is a japanese auto manufacturer whose V6 powerplants are crushing the germans
Old 04-18-19, 03:27 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Most of us here on Car Chat couldn't run an auto company. We're too honest.
That may not be necessarily true. I once asked ******* ***** how tall he was and how much money he made, and he told me he was 6'5" and 23 mil.

What I actually think is we have some very smart people here, and they are likely very good at what they do for a living. But cars are merely a hobby and not their forte nor their livelihood. What I encounter all the time at my job is compromise, usually nobody gets what they want 100%. Because nothing would ever be completed if nobody compromised. That's what's often lacking here on the forum. If one were to say something negative about a LS500, it's like watching a nature program on National Geographic. If someone were to say something postive about Mercedes Benz or BMW, it's like watching a nature program on National Geographic.
Old 04-18-19, 08:37 AM
2ndName
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If this is true, looking forward to hear/read about reliability report. I mean, if it's the engine that is used but everything else designed by Toyota/L, it might be a good combo. I owned a couple of BMW (E30 and E90), both failed with similar issues. It's crazy how I'm still reading about similar failures on newer BMWs. It's as if they know what fails but never tries to resolve it. Maybe it's due to the fix being a full on change of whatever work flow/testing they've done?

On the other hand, all those failures defaulted me back to the first car that I ever purchased to become my daily (2000 Toyota Celica). 140K miles later, still in service with hardly any issues.
Old 04-18-19, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
That may not be necessarily true. I once asked ******* ***** how tall he was and how much money he made, and he told me he was 6'5" and 23 mil.
We do have a few CL members well over 6', and, while 23M may or may not be fantasy, remember, a million dollars, today, is not what it was when I was growing up. That's not to say that Car Chat is full of paupers, or people who live from paycheck to paycheck...but inflation over many decades, has made the once-rare figure of $1M, or multiple millions, very common today.

What I actually think is we have some very smart people here, and they are likely very good at what they do for a living. But cars are merely a hobby and not their forte nor their livelihood. What I encounter all the time at my job is compromise, usually nobody gets what they want 100%. Because nothing would ever be completed if nobody compromised. That's what's often lacking here on the forum. If one were to say something negative about a LS500, it's like watching a nature program on National Geographic. If someone were to say something postive about Mercedes Benz or BMW, it's like watching a nature program on National Geographic.
That's because many (not all) of those who watch NG nature-specials are environmentalists who drive Priuses....though, out in the field, yes, the actual people in the show often have Land Rovers or body-on-frame Toyota SUVs.
Old 04-18-19, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
but anyway I'd probably pass on mmarshall here since I'd like the supra to have a higher top speed than 80 lol
80? Where did you get that stuff? The IS300, with the same 2JZ engine, had a measured top speed of 143 MPH in a number of tests. That's hustling it, even by German Autobahn standards....and there are almost no public roads in the U.S. where you can legally drive even close to that speed.
Old 04-18-19, 10:53 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm a security guard in Switzerland. I make 23 mil every night.

"miles" of course.