Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top Gear/The Grand Tour has ended, this is the last season....................sort of

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-19, 09:20 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Top Gear/The Grand Tour has ended, this is the last season....................sort of

I was watching the final episode last night and shockingly at the end Jeremy Clarkson in tears announced this was the last show, the series is ending and they are moving on which is odd because I thought this was the best season of The Grand Tour and they seemed to be having so much fun and they aren't that old, I think it got the best ratings too. I kind of thought they were joking but it looked like he was really crying and Richard and James were holding back tears too. They showed a montage of the show through the years with layla playing and I was like wow, it's over, no news, no warnings. They let the audience comment on memories of the show and one go said just keep doing it, don't end it so Clarkson did seem to say it was not totally over, just the tent, audience, cars around track was ending but they still plan to do specials for Amazon so I don't know exactly what that means whether it will just be one or two travel shows a year or they will continue doing something for several episodes each year but the Top Gear/Grand Tour format show is over.
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-d...n-prime-video/
Old 04-20-19, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Theres going to be a season 4, its just going to be all road trips and specials, there won't be a tent component or a track, or an audience, etc...but the show is not ending.

I too thought this was the best season, haven't watched the last episode yet. I do agree though, the specials and the trips are what I watch it for
Old 04-20-19, 01:33 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Mongolia special episode in Season 3 was by far the best IMO
Old 04-20-19, 06:16 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

the tent itself i couldn't really care less about but the news aka conversation street is the real loss here, that was always one of the funniest parts of top gear

putting a car around the 'eboladrone' is almost meaningless since the top gear dunsfold track has been the basis for comparison all this time, and the eboladrone hasn't had nearly enough cars go around it to really get a feel for how it compares with dunsfold

i'll miss seeing abbie do the laps though she really drives the hell out of those cars
Old 04-21-19, 10:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
but the news aka conversation street is the real loss here, that was always one of the funniest parts of top gear
Agreed, but for whatever reason it came off as too scripted and stiff on TGT. I don't know if they were trying to make sure it wasn't so similar they'd get sued...
Old 04-21-19, 10:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I just hope they will be doing as many or close to as many episodes/specials as they have been doing and it is not limited to 2 or 3 road trip specials a year. I also hope they still drive different newer cars and give their impressions of them. Since it has not made much news it sounds like they are still going to continue on in one way or another so I am not sure why they were so emotional about it.
Old 04-21-19, 05:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I just hope they will be doing as many or close to as many episodes/specials as they have been doing and it is not limited to 2 or 3 road trip specials a year. I also hope they still drive different newer cars and give their impressions of them. Since it has not made much news it sounds like they are still going to continue on in one way or another so I am not sure why they were so emotional about it.
What I have read is that there will continue to be mutli-eposide "seasons"

Clarkson in an interview explained why they were so emotional, because they never had the chance to say goodbye to TopGear, so in a way they were saying goodbye to that TopGear format
Old 04-21-19, 05:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I love the 80's/90's movie references these guys make when talking cars especially this season like James Bond/"Octo*****", "Breakdown", "Beverly Hills Cop" when they played "Stir it Up" from it when racing in Detroit, the comedy was really good this season too. The trip with the 3 GT cars, BMW 8 series, Aston Martin, new Conti GT was great too, this was definitely the best season of "The Grand Tour", also "Top Gear" too in my opinion, I could not wait for the new episodes to come out and watch them.
Old 04-21-19, 07:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah they found their footing this season for sure...
Old 04-21-19, 10:48 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

the dumb celebrity bits also finally ended this season series lol

seriously is confusing why they ended the current format when it was starting to get really good
Old 04-22-19, 10:02 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the dumb celebrity bits also finally ended this season series lol

seriously is confusing why they ended the current format when it was starting to get really good
I don't know, it is odd to do after they seemed to have gotten it down/it was really good but I think a combination of it cost too much money, lawsuits/pressure by BBC/TOP GEAR that it was too close to their show format, and maybe it was more work/ more of a pain over and over then they wanted and just wanted to do trips/specials and have more time/money for other things.
Old 04-22-19, 11:29 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I loved the old Top Gear and the genuine affection and loyalty the guys had for each other, almost like the bond that forms between guys in a military squad that's been under fire.

But maybe they've just gotten tired of cars. Man, there's so much more out there.
Old 04-22-19, 02:29 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I loved the old format, but I'm very much looking forward to all the road trips and specials. The production quality and narratives for the specials has always been breathtaking so I'm excited to see more of it.
Old 04-24-19, 09:10 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm very mixed on this. If they had announced this in Season 2 I'd have been all for it. But Season 3 was probably their best season ever(between both shows). They really nailed the format this year. Conversation street was good, they finally ditched the celebrity BS, and Abbie was pretty awesome.

However, their specials are absolutely the best episodes and I look forward to having more of them. I think this season was kind of a preview of what that will look like. We had Columbia, Georgia/Azerbaijan, the RV special, and the Mongolia Special. They were all brilliant and I look forward to more of that. I just hope they do a lot of them.

The Holy Trinity forever