Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Every few years we need to be taught a lesson

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-19, 05:08 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
This confirms my (biased) opinion that slow drivers are the root cause for fast drivers and cause more traffic incidents. I am perfectly fine driving the speed limit on most roads but when some slow driver is hogging the fast lane completely oblivious to people around them , it brings the worst out of me and I end up blowing past the speed limit to get in front.
Absolutely. Same here.

It's getting worse too. We went down 95 from SC to Orlando to Disney a couple of week ago and I found that when there are 3 lanes, the far right lane was often less backed up. Exactly the opposite of how it is supposed to work.
Old 04-28-19, 05:57 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
don't you mean ludicrous?

and yes the silent near instant teleportation of really fast teslas is absolutely a 'luxury' feature that no other car short of a 918, regera, or rimac can match... a big turbo will inevitably still cause the tesla to become #rekt given enough space, but nothing rules the urban/suburban streets like the P100D

also you can absolutely tear past people but they don't shout at you since there's no noise to make them think speeding has occured lol
I was telling a guy that but he didn't get it said I had no chance with a Tesla on highway in my Supra ha ha. I was like I have no chance from a dig sure but not on a roll race. I do agree with you the P100D is fun for instant take off in urban/suburban areas.
Old 04-28-19, 07:06 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Truth on both sides. The real problem (and has been for years) is that the concept of having to yield in the left lane (for faster traffic) contradicts that of having firm, posted speed limits. What we actually have here are two laws, each working against each other. On one hand, the law says don't speed, but (in some states) then says turns around and move out of the way for those who do....and, of course, emergency vehicles (police/fire) always have the right of way, no matter how fast or slow they are going.
I don't think there is any contradiction at all. The left lane is for passing slower moving traffic (in the right lane), whatever that might be, a car, a truck, a horse carriage, a bicycle, etc. If you and everyone is going the speed limit in the right lane, then there is no need to really pass in the left lane, It really is not a hard law to follow.

But what is at issue for some people here is that there are drivers who drive the speed limit and do not move over to the right lane thus they sit in the left lane.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-28-19 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 07:13 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Imagine my demeanor today had I have gotten a summons and a court date. That cop is exactly why I'm pro LE and against some of the stuff I see on YouTube.
thinking about it, you probably should have only cracked your driver window about an inch, and told the LEO you are a Sovereign Citizen, that she has no right to detain you, that you know the law and you are filming her. probably would have received a much better outcome than you did.
Old 04-28-19, 07:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I was thinking about this some more. I made a poor decision, because I did not really entertain the possibility of the driver accelerating as I tried to pass. I think as I watched the video, it was on purpose. Doesn't matter, I have to take full responsibility. A proper response would have likely been to have reached 40 mph, and then tail-tucked and drop back to being behind and do the 17 mph thing again.

It also illustrates how these slow drivers behave. They've got some chip on their shoulder and no consideration. Look at my original post--17-20 mph. Watch a 5 min. video and I bet at least 50% of the folks out there would want to pass on a dotted line.

Today at the gym, I thought to myself again. These folks my grandparents age are all walking around naked, and I don't get it. Even in sports I do remember showering with others (I'm no spring chicken), but we didn't walk around naked, we put on a towel. Also, I notice many of these men don't use soap to wash their hands. Millenials won't even touch a door handle without a paper towel! What am I saying? Put someone the above age now on the road. They likely think much differently than many do. I will reiterate, 17-20 mph, dotted line, what do you do?

I bet you that person got satisfaction knowing I was pulled over. What they don't know is that I have a video of their behavior, and more importantly, I did not receive summonses. But keep living and learning.
Old 04-28-19, 07:42 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
I was telling a guy that but he didn't get it said I had no chance with a Tesla on highway in my Supra ha ha. I was like I have no chance from a dig sure but not on a roll race. I do agree with you the P100D is fun for instant take off in urban/suburban areas.
big time l0lz on that one, you just gotta show him this short clip

like I said... #rekt
Old 04-29-19, 05:56 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it is not perfectly legal to be driving the speed limit in the left lane if you're not passing anyone, and it is in fact one of the most inconsiderate and dangerous things one can do
Doesn't this only apply on freeways/highways?
Old 04-29-19, 06:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sm1ke
There should be a bumper sticker, "Inconsideration is not a crime." Pretty sure the Constitution protects inconsiderate people.

Yesterday we were at Costco. It was packed, I mean packed (you know when there are so many people it's nearly impossible to get in line to check out--physically no room to form a line properly).

They had that pull down open at the exit, AND, the side door opened wide. This is so people could get in to return, or exit, if they didn't purchase anything.

This guy maybe 60 y.o. backs up a mobility cart and parks it right in the doorway. How stupid is that? Gets up, walks away. I was thinking a terrorist would do that to obstruct access. Whenever I see someone do something stupid I think probably had bypass surgery where the brain is damaged, even normal incosiderate people don't do that. And, again I say, these folks drive cars, and are on the road. Better to avoid contact, which may mean to not pass them, as they are erratic individuals.
Old 04-29-19, 11:21 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Truth on both sides. The real problem (and has been for years) is that the concept of having to yield in the left lane (for faster traffic) contradicts that of having firm, posted speed limits. What we actually have here are two laws, each working against each other. On one hand, the law says don't speed, but (in some states) then says turns around and move out of the way for those who do....and, of course, emergency vehicles (police/fire) always have the right of way, no matter how fast or slow they are going.
The idea is that you can go faster in the left lane so that you can quickly get around a line of slower traffic and maintain a steady flow.

Out here in the west at least, when you're out in the open interstate, it's very common to come across a long line of vehicles going 65ish in a 75-80 mph zone in the right lane, usually because of semis. Then you have a long line of cars taking their damn sweet time passing those cars..usually going only a few MPH faster. Sometimes they just match speeds.

The idea of a quick pass is so that you don't just turn the left lane into a travelling lane. When it becomes a travelling lane, you'll end up with 2 cars side-by-side going 70 in a 75. And there is NOTHING more infuriating.

There's also fewer things more infuriating than Dudley Do Right deciding that he's going to go exactly the speed limit in the left lane because he thinks he's helping society by enforcing speed limits on the people behind him. NOBODY likes this guy. Speeding is normal. Yes it's against the law, but it's not some grave moral failure to drive 80 in a 75. Most officers won't even write a ticket for that. And speeding rarely inconveniences the other drivers on the freeway(unless you start tailgating or weaving in and out in a dangerous manner). Utah actually had a lower rate of accidents after they increased the speed limit from 75 to 80 on I-15.

Of all the things to be passionate about, I've never understood the passion for never going above the speed limit.
Old 04-29-19, 12:31 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
The idea is that you can go faster in the left lane so that you can quickly get around a line of slower traffic and maintain a steady flow.

Out here in the west at least, when you're out in the open interstate, it's very common to come across a long line of vehicles going 65ish in a 75-80 mph zone in the right lane, usually because of semis. Then you have a long line of cars taking their damn sweet time passing those cars..usually going only a few MPH faster. Sometimes they just match speeds.

The idea of a quick pass is so that you don't just turn the left lane into a travelling lane. When it becomes a travelling lane, you'll end up with 2 cars side-by-side going 70 in a 75. And there is NOTHING more infuriating.

There's also fewer things more infuriating than Dudley Do Right deciding that he's going to go exactly the speed limit in the left lane because he thinks he's helping society by enforcing speed limits on the people behind him. NOBODY likes this guy. Speeding is normal. Yes it's against the law, but it's not some grave moral failure to drive 80 in a 75. Most officers won't even write a ticket for that. And speeding rarely inconveniences the other drivers on the freeway(unless you start tailgating or weaving in and out in a dangerous manner). Utah actually had a lower rate of accidents after they increased the speed limit from 75 to 80 on I-15.

Of all the things to be passionate about, I've never understood the passion for never going above the speed limit.
How about that progressive commercial where you become your parents, and the guy and his buddy are on a road trip. The driver says, "55 is just a suggestion." I think he's going 45.

Anyway, I think more and more we are a society that is simply so diverse, we agree on little. I am for the, if all the traffic is moving at 80, and the speed limit is 70, then drive 80. If the speed limit is 55, and all the traffic is going 45, then go 45. Go with the flow. Alternate merge. Use the entire length of the onramp to merge. Here in PA people stop at the beginning of the ramp, then turn in at a 45 degree angle. It's silly.
Old 04-29-19, 01:16 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sm1ke
that's what i figured he meant since the original road in question of this thread was a single lane road but suddenly the left lane got brought up
Old 04-29-19, 01:20 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
"55 is just a suggestion."
i can't see how that isn't true, if it's not then we should all technically be dead
Old 04-29-19, 02:38 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
thinking about it, you probably should have only cracked your driver window about an inch, and told the LEO you are a Sovereign Citizen, that she has no right to detain you, that you know the law and you are filming her. probably would have received a much better outcome than you did.