Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 09:24 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 392 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Here in Florida, this sign means, drive 72mph in the left lane and park it! ;-)
Truer words have never been spoken... This is one of the most frustrating states to drive in for the 70-72mph left lane cruisers. I sometimes admire how oblivious they are to the outside world.
Old 05-03-19, 09:29 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Truer words have never been spoken... This is one of the most frustrating states to drive in for the 70-72mph left lane cruisers. I sometimes admire how oblivious they are to the outside world.
if you look at autobahn footage, probably the biggest difference between those roads and ours (apart from being smoother) is how EVERYONE immediately gets back over to the right after overtaking, and almost never do you see people passing on the right simply because they don't need to

i'd rather just pay a bit more to the state every year and be allowed to go faster instead of getting the same thing accomplished with tickets... it's all about the $$$ anyway
Old 05-03-19, 10:01 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'd put distracted under the indifference category, people who actually care about what they're doing generally don't allow themselves to become distracted

i truthfully believe that the low speed limits on these highways contribute to the distractions, pretty much everyone has time and capacity to text at 55... but double that and i don't think so
I have only seen this in Philly, but it's uncanny how traffic does not merge properly. As mentioned, par for the course is for a vehicle to come to a complete stop at the beginning of the onramp, then enter traffic at 45 degrees, ignoring any solid white lines. Now, picture the same folks driving when it isn't heavy traffic. Or trying to leave a sporting event.
Old 05-03-19, 11:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Thanks, it was supposed to illicit a chuckle, no hard feelings intended.
Haha. None taken.

I agree. When we get into a car, the car should take over the drivers phone, allowing bluetooth calls and voice activiation only. But until tech like Android Auto and Apple Carplay becomes standard and mandated across the board, that can't happen.
I can only speak of Apple Car Play. But Carplay is not the solution either as I right now. I was using it and it can be very, very distracting when connect to you vehicle. Can only speak of Toyota in that case.

There should be a federal law with proper research into all of this.
Old 05-03-19, 01:55 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Haha. That is funny
Yeah--hilarious:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/school...-rage-incident

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...0-year-n991356

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...229926384.html

https://6abc.com/police-driver-shot-...ident/5223523/

http://www.fox4news.com/news/man-sho...t-in-arlington

https://komonews.com/news/local/road...ng-in-lynnwood

https://www.wfla.com/news/local-news...nty/1941579358

http://www.fox29.com/news/police-act...-in-new-castle

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/04/...-joseph-brown/
Old 05-03-19, 02:00 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

it’s a fact that millions use their phones while driving despite laws in many states against it.

About then last one, i see the only solution as technological... the car and/or phone can ‘know’ if you’re driving and should simply stop the screen from working until you’re stopped.
I had this outside Sedona a few weeks ago. Driving along the road into town, Chrysler 300 (blacked out trim) in front of me, driving way under the speed limit, crossing over the lane lines. When I finally had a chance to pass, the idiot was taking a video of the incredible Sedona mountains and terrain while driving! And he had a front seat passenger. It's really mind-boggling sometimes.
Old 05-03-19, 02:02 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

oh and uhh,

In b4 MMarshall, SW17LS and LexusCTJill.
Uhh...Jill beat you...
Old 05-03-19, 02:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like the debate forum. Lol
Old 05-03-19, 02:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The way this thread sounds:

Young people in the thread: complaining and complaining about all the apparent slow drivers and all the wild incidents they see. It’s like they are young and naive. Has not yet realized that there were problem drivers before they were born. Truly believes that speeding is safe.

Old people in thread (like me): seen it before. Understands that it happens and that problem drivers have been driving slow for year. Was once a young person. Realizes there are other outlets to channel their wisdom. Realizes that speeding kills.

Old, old people: have nothing to do all day. Either drives slow because they are senile or drives fast because they think time slows down and they can’t stand their significant other they have been with for 50+ years. Thinks that they are right. Forgets that they have wisdom.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-03-19 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 02:46 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Young people in the thread: complaining and complaining about all the apparent slow drivers and all the wild incidents they see. It’s like they are young and naive. Has not yet realized that there were problem drivers before they were born. Truly believes that speeding is safe.

Old people in thread (like me): seen it before. Understands that it happens and that problem drivers have been driving slow for year. Was once a young person. Realizes there are other outlets to channel their wisdom. Realizes that speeding kills.

Old, old people: have nothing to do all day. Either drives slow because they are senile or drives fast because they think time slows down and they can’t stand their significant other they have been with for 50+ years. Thinks that they are right. Forgets that they have wisdom.
speed doesn’t kill. Differences in speed do
Old 05-03-19, 02:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
#1 cause of death is distracted driving. #2 is speeding.

Both are not of my opinion.
Old 05-03-19, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Speed definitely increases the potential for death or injury IF an accident or impact occurs....that is the simple physics of kinetic energy, and is beyond debate. The faster you go, the more a potential bomb your vehicle becomes. I'll agree, though, that an even flow of traffic, even at higher speeds, can lessen the actual potential for impacts.....but there is still risk involved.
Old 05-03-19, 03:35 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 05-03-19, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

#1 cause of death is distracted driving. #2 is speeding.

Both are not of my opinion.
What you say is correct (fact, not opinion), but Alcohol/DWI also ranks extremely high...in some databases, as high or more than speeding.
Old 05-03-19, 05:01 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol. That about sums it up when these types of threads get posted. They're fun to read of course, but they accomplish very little since we don't know where people are commuting to and from every day and most of what they report is anecdotal.

btw gang, you guys do know that the original poster here runs a Lexus RC-F don't you? You can imagine that he's in a hurry anyway. And his Ford pickup is probably one of those lifted jobs that is all about "get outta ma way, man".

Originally Posted by Stroock639
if you look at autobahn footage, probably the biggest difference between those roads and ours (apart from being smoother) is how EVERYONE immediately gets back over to the right after overtaking, and almost never do you see people passing on the right simply because they don't need to

i'd rather just pay a bit more to the state every year and be allowed to go faster instead of getting the same thing accomplished with tickets... it's all about the $$$ anyway
Sounds good. If you agree to learn German and take the German licensing test and pass it in Germany, then we'll insitute a new system of driving in the USA where you can go as fast as you please as long as you agree to clear the roads ahead of you at your cost, lol.

Quick Reply: Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!