Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 04:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Can’t wait to see the insurance rates of ‘impatient’ drivers SKYROCKET when self-driving cars are on the road.
Old 05-06-19, 06:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

No, that's what happens when too many drivers are going too fast (for conditions) to react and stop in time.
its slow drivers that cause buildups of traffic, not fast ones. Fast ones get in and get out, not camp around in the passing lane at 65 mph
Old 05-06-19, 06:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Can’t wait to see the insurance rates of ‘impatient’ drivers SKYROCKET when self-driving cars are on the road.
Well, up to now, bit, you seem to be one of the biggest supporters, here in Car Chat, of self-driving vehicles.
Old 05-06-19, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it could be that someone was camping in the left lane preventing people from passing with a long line of traffic building up, until someone finally got so frustrated they did something spontaneously irrational and ended up causing a yuuuuge chain reaction pileup

that particular picture seems to be of a major highway on a clear nice day, so idk what conditions there might've been
The pile-up could have happened (and often does) in foggy, low-visibility conditions, with the photo itself having been taken later, when the weather cleared. You can't really take a good shot of something like that when the visibility is only a few feet.
Old 05-06-19, 10:35 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Around here everybody drives too fast. I think the average speed on the freeway is 85 and for no good reason. It could be on a weekend, what's the rush? Tailgaters, weaving in and out of traffic speeding. I hate seeing it. Even when it rains the same applies.
Old 05-06-19, 01:19 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Bad accident on the AC expressway back to Phila. yesterday. imho given the way things are today, 2 lane highways are dangerous, there's no buffer at all for slow or excessively fast drivers alike.

Generally speaking people need to be more cooperative with one another. When I was in Norway, there was a code as to right of way, when it came to vehicles going downhill, and uphill, and there not being enough room for both. The attitude part was not there. Ditto getting off an airplane in Reykjavik. Maybe there's another reason why we're the way we are, population density? Something else?
Old 05-06-19, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
When I was in Norway, there was a code as to right of way, when it came to vehicles going downhill, and uphill, and there not being enough room for both. The attitude part was not there. Ditto getting off an airplane in Reykjavik. Maybe there's another reason why we're the way we are, population density? Something else?
Norway has only a tiny fraction of the traffic in the U.S....and they are able to follow and enforce their rules more efficiently. Here, in the U.S., conditions have become essentially a major Free-For-All, especially in and around larger cities.
Old 05-06-19, 05:01 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Norway has only a tiny fraction of the traffic in the U.S....and they are able to follow and enforce their rules more efficiently. Here, in the U.S., conditions have become essentially a major Free-For-All, especially in and around larger cities.
which to me at least would seem to indicate that the current laws don't accurately reflect what's best for the people
Old 05-06-19, 05:50 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Here in Philly "free-for-all" is an understatement. Dash cams don't lie. Today a well dressed guy in a Infiniti doesn't wait his turn and just goes. He's about 65 and obviously put in a hard day's work so who cares about the peasants. When I am going straight and stop at a light, and he is in the left lane, yep, I look over and see his head completely down doing something likely related to a phone. We're not going to get it at all, a person truly cannot drive and operate a phone sending emails etc. as well as if they simply drove. We had a fatality at the gym and nothing changed. I noticed there has been a cop car parked randomly since (one day I saw the two cops drive in, park the vehicle, and leave without the car). Oh, and speed bumps were installed. but the general mentality is the same, speed up if you see peds x-ing. It is in a way sick. Today I also had a woman tail me with her hands at 11 and 1, what a joke, reminds me of a puppy with huge paws.
Old 05-07-19, 11:36 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

It's always the Prius drivers here in Southern California!
Old 05-07-19, 11:45 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by COOLIS
good that's how it should be, they're at least using the prius properly

i didn't get over 72 mpg in a prius by having a lead foot haha...

that was possibly the most thought intensive and exhausting drives of my life, people who think speeding is dangerous have obviously never tried hypermiling
Old 05-07-19, 11:58 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by COOLIS

There are a lot of slow Prius drivers. They always seem below the speed limit here.

One exception, is the Prius driver who is a professional commuter. I have Left Santa Cruz California in the early morning around 530 to 600 am heading towards San Jose on Highway 17. I have driven Highway 17 a lot and have scene many a terrible accident on this road. Highway 17 is a mountain road. These Prius drivers leaving their million dollar beach homes for their job in the tech industry haul *** over highway 17. You want to see a Prius hang with a 911 Turbo? Highway 17 morning commute.

Last edited by CAHWY128; 05-07-19 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 12:33 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

good that's how it should be, they're at least using the prius properly

i didn't get over 72 mpg in a prius by having a lead foot haha...

that was possibly the most thought intensive and exhausting drives of my life, people who think speeding is dangerous have obviously never tried hypermiling
please don't tell us the calculation was over 27.8 miles.
Old 05-07-19, 12:54 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
please don't tell us the calculation was over 27.8 miles.
yes sir, that was from smithtown toyota to penn toyota, with a mix of local and highway driving

i think my eyes spent more time watching the mpg bar trying to keep it in the green than they spent actual road lol... and i was on the verge of passing out from having the windows up and climate control totally off

i also lucked out a bit that i was able to tailgate a coach bus for optimal drafting lol
Old 05-07-19, 01:09 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

yes sir, that was from smithtown toyota to penn toyota, with a mix of local and highway driving

i think my eyes spent more time watching the mpg bar trying to keep it in the green than they spent actual road lol... and i was on the verge of passing out from having the windows up and climate control totally off

i also lucked out a bit that i was able to tailgate a coach bus for optimal drafting lol
haha the climate control part is funny....

This week the LS430 is at 20.x for my commute, up 0.5 to 0.7 mpg, and I'm pleased...talk about living like it's 2001! (it is consistently 19.x mpg, we're talking over 30k+ miles or so of records in my app)

Quick Reply: Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!