Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 02:04 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
haha the climate control part is funny....
hell yea, trying to extract every possible mpg from a car is exhausting... you can't set cruise control since that will only help if the road is like perfectly flat, but when there's hills you want the car to slowly decelerate up the hill and use gravity to slowly accelerate going back down so the engine can just stay chilling

there's like not a single moment to relax when you're on a hypermiling run, plus you can just feel the hate of everyone stuck behind you when you're accelerating as slowly as possible

i'm not joking when i say the prius is one of the most fun cars to own, if you use it to get as good mpgs as physically possible and don't try to race around in it
Old 05-09-19, 07:18 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So it's the extremely slow drivers who cause the problems... apparently. Or maybe not according to NHTSA and a number of other organizations which study this stuff. Yes that slow driver could be any number of motorists who's texting, tired or drunk. But does that account for ALL "slow" drivers who cause this major "epidemic"? Maybe it's speeding tailgators who want to save 2 minutes in their life and could car less about anyone else around them.

The 2016 national data shows that:
  • Distraction-related deaths (3,450 fatalities) decreased by 2.2 percent;
  • Drowsy-driving deaths (803 fatalities) decreased by 3.5 percent;
  • Drunk-driving deaths (10,497 fatalities) increased by 1.7 per*cent;
  • Speeding-related deaths (10,111 fatalities) increased by 4.0 percent;
  • Unbelted deaths (10,428 fatalities) increased by 4.6 percent;
  • Motorcyclist deaths (5,286 fatalities – the largest number of motorcyclist fatalities since 2008) increased by 5.1 percent;
  • Pedestrian deaths (5,987 fatalities – the highest number since 1990) increased by 9.0 percent; and
  • Bicyclist deaths (840 fatalities – the highest number since 1991) increased by 1.3 percent.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...fic-crash-data
Old 05-09-19, 08:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
So it's the extremely slow drivers who cause the problems... apparently. Or maybe not according to NHTSA and a number of other organizations which study this stuff.
Extremely slow drivers is different than slow or slower drivers. But people who speed seem to be a problem
Old 05-09-19, 09:04 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
So it's the extremely slow drivers who cause the problems... apparently. Or maybe not according to NHTSA and a number of other organizations which study this stuff. Yes that slow driver could be any number of motorists who's texting, tired or drunk. But does that account for ALL "slow" drivers who cause this major "epidemic"? Maybe it's speeding tailgators who want to save 2 minutes in their life and could car less about anyone else around them.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...fic-crash-data
Data like that is extremely dangerous to take blindly. They are calculating the number of fatalities as a whole, not as a percentage of the number of accidents/drivers on the road. Each year, there are more and more drivers on the road, so it would make sense that the number of speed related fatalities would be going up. We also need to define was speeding is. Is a person who is driving the speed limit while everyone driving under the speed limit a speeder? Speed is relative. If everyone drove quickly, id put money that there would be less accidents on the road. And you can use the autobahn as a prime example.
Old 05-09-19, 09:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
We also need to define was speeding is. .
Really? If you are doing 71 in a 70, then you are speeding
Old 05-10-19, 05:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Ellen de Generes stand up special on Netflix has a great part about slow drivers and she’s definitely not PC about it.
Old 05-10-19, 06:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Nothing new here. "Slow" drivers blaming the "fast" drivers and "fast" drivers blame the "slow" drivers. Just hang on out there and keep an eye on the other guy fast or slow.
Old 05-10-19, 06:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Nothing new here. "Slow" drivers blaming the "fast" drivers and "fast" drivers blame the "slow" drivers. Just hang on out there and keep an eye on the other guy fast or slow.
Or the people who just follow the speed limit, there are those out there too
Old 05-10-19, 06:34 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I've thought about this more due to the thread, and my being pulled over 2 weeks ago. My mom got pulled over last week and she had me in stitches describing it. She was playing the little old lady routine, yes, it worked. I told her that officer has a mom too. Let her go with a warning, she did not come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Anyway, yesterday morning, my commute comprised of a few incidents right off the bat, all on dash cam. 3 cars blew a school buses reds over a double yellow. Bus honked. The bus was obviously an impedance to these cars' voyage so they saw no reason to have to wait behind. If we had stop arm cams in Phila., that behavior stops.

Next, 3 cars passed a Corolla on a double yellow. My dash cam had me at 40 mph, the speed limit is likely 25, so those 3 cars were likely at 55-60. The Corolla was already doing 40.

I'm no longer buying the slow driver as a whole thing, at least in Phila. it's more you're going slower than I want to....pathetic really. Because I can tell you when someone is killed, a community is sorry, and then a month later it's the same again.
Old 05-10-19, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill

Yes and no. Even electronic speed-cameras are usually programmed to about a +10-11 MPH tolerance to account for things like speedometer error, gravity effect going downhill, the difficult-to-read gauges in some vehicles, and those who put oversize tires/wheels on their vehicles, which slows down wheel rotation at given road speed and forces the speedometer and odometer to read low. Even without cameras, it is unusual, at least in my area, for local cops or State Troopers to stop drivers for anything less than about +10 (MPH) or so over the limit. In Canada, though, where you are in Toronto, the KPH measurements instead of MPH might (?) make things a little different.
Old 05-10-19, 06:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes and no. Even electronic speed-cameras are usually programmed to about a +10-11 MPH tolerance to account for things like speedometer error, gravity effect going downhill, the difficult-to-read gauges in some vehicles, and those who put oversize tires/wheels on their vehicles, which slows down wheel rotation at given road speed and forces the speedometer and odometer to read low. Even without cameras, it is unusual, at least in my area, for local cops or State Troopers to stop drivers for anything less than about +10 (MPH) or so over the limit. In Canada, though, where you are in Toronto, the KPH measurements instead of MPH might (?) make things a little different.
If you are driving 71 in a 70, there is no “yes” or “no”.
Old 05-10-19, 06:48 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure we're all numb because there's a lot more going on in the world or rather the USA today, but

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...3-de37bfe375d8
Old 05-10-19, 06:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Isn't this similar to the debate, "What is hamburger. Chopped ham?"

I know you guys weren't born yet

Old 05-10-19, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you are driving 71 in a 70, there is no “yes” or “no”.

So, then......if that's the case, what's the difference between them? 70.49999 vs. 70.50001? Gotta be reasonable, Jill.
Old 05-10-19, 07:22 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a resident of south Florida, I have to say, we have the worst drivers in the nation. Our insurance rates are proof of that. Not only do we have all the senior "slow pokes", we also have in the mix, complete and total psychopaths that take chances with their lives and everyone around them. Driving in Miami (I live in Broward, BTW) It is complete lawlesness. I've seen 18 wheeled big rigs darting in and out of traffic at 75 mph. We don't have a cell phone law, here, so everyone is texting or on the phone. Half the drivers in Miami are driving without insurance and they just don't care. (can't verify this, it was a statistic I heard once) If you get into an accident with an immigrant (I won't go there) they will sue you, even if it's not your fault.

I lost my 3 month old Accord to a vicious, and malicious driver who totaled two cars, took off, and left me holding the bag. I now have a dash cam.

I think the reason it's so bad here is that there are zero repercussions. One can drive any way they want and keep a clean record. If you do happen to get a ticket, it's because you were doing something really, really stupid or dangerous. Even then, you just buy your way out of it through a ticket clinic. BTW, you can get as many tickets as you want and buy them all off, no limit.

We have no smog check program so you see kids driving around in 500hp Civics, 600hp STI's and 1,200hp Dodge's. They all stink because the first thing these kids do is rip out their cats.

I'm hoping that when I retire, I'll be able to move to the west coast of Florida and relax a bit.

Quick Reply: Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!