Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-19, 08:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
As a resident of south Florida, I have to say, we have the worst drivers in the nation. Our insurance rates are proof of that. Not only do we have all the senior "slow pokes", we also have in the mix, complete and total psychopaths that take chances with their lives and everyone around them. Driving in Miami (I live in Broward, BTW) It is complete lawlesness. I've seen 18 wheeled big rigs darting in and out of traffic at 75 mph. We don't have a cell phone law, here, so everyone is texting or on the phone. Half the drivers in Miami are driving without insurance and they just don't care. (can't verify this, it was a statistic I heard once) If you get into an accident with an immigrant (I won't go there) they will sue you, even if it's not your fault.

I lost my 3 month old Accord to a vicious, and malicious driver who totaled two cars, took off, and left me holding the bag. I now have a dash cam.

I think the reason it's so bad here is that there are zero repercussions. One can drive any way they want and keep a clean record. If you do happen to get a ticket, it's because you were doing something really, really stupid or dangerous. Even then, you just buy your way out of it through a ticket clinic. BTW, you can get as many tickets as you want and buy them all off, no limit.

We have no smog check program so you see kids driving around in 500hp Civics, 600hp STI's and 1,200hp Dodge's. They all stink because the first thing these kids do is rip out their cats.

I'm hoping that when I retire, I'll be able to move to the west coast of Florida and relax a bit.
On the flip side, I am sure there are good stories about good drivers as well.
Old 05-10-19, 08:43 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So, then......if that's the case, what's the difference between them? 70.49999 vs. 70.50001? Gotta be reasonable, Jill.
This is where imho 2 things happen. One, is a LE officer pulling someone over. In my many years lol of driving, it would seem the only time they treated me badly, was when I was 19-20. I was put in a chokehold once after presenting false ID and an altercation ensued. The officer even apologized saying I am still young but my actions could get myself or him killed, so please try to think about it before something happens (he did not know the Colorado DL that I presented was not legit). It all started when he tapped my sideview of the Porsche with his baton. He could have dented it, back then they were the big rectangular ones in the classic guards red (I was so unimaginative getting that color). Other than that, and ever since? Every officer has treated me with courtesy. Even 2 weeks ago. So, if a cop stops a person for 78 in a 70, or 63 in a 55, or 52 in a 25, he/she has the discretion on how to handle.

The other is automated enforcement. Red light is black and white. Were you behind the stop line when it was red, and did you proceed. No gray area there. Video supports the human decision on whether to cite.

But as you mention, in MD, you have to be 12 mph over. That's quite a lot, even at 55. So technically the only way people get tickets are on those 25 mph roads where it would seem you could go 55.

From an officer's perspective, I am pretty sure 70.499 and 70.5 would not likely lead to a ticket with a 65 or 70 mph speed limit. 55 mph? Then it is on the cusp and imho likely would, UNLESS all traffic is moving at that speed. In this case, I would think the officer is looking for someone in excess of the traffic flow.

The more we kick this topic around, the more I think problems have to do with either not going with the flow, either way. You think 40 in a 40 is too slow, and want to go 60, and pass over a double yellow, that other driver was not at fault, "IF" the rest of the traffic is going 40 as well.
Old 05-10-19, 08:50 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
On the flip side, I am sure there are good stories about good drivers as well.
Good drivers are a non issue. Who recognizes good drivers? Courteous gestures by drivers happen so rarely, here, it's unbelievable. It just doesn't happen. Turn signals? What's that? Oh, I'm blinding you at night with my 10,000 watt aircraft landing lights high beams, do I care? Heck no. Can I get a ticket for it? Heck no, drive as much as you want with your high beams on, no one gives a crap except every driver on the road being blinded. As I said earlier, it's complete lawlessness. I see Broward County Sheriffs on the freeway and cars just blazing past them at 90mph plus.

I keep pretty mellow on the highway, usually maintaining 70mph in the right (slow) lane. With that I will tell you, I have been honked at for going too slow. I've had high beams flashed at me for going too slow. I've been passed on the shoulder going 75mph (yes in the slow lane) for going to slow.

Nobody wants to drive behind anybody else. Everybody wants to go around everybody regardless of speed or which lane their in. I look in my rear view mirror and all I see is dozens of cars swapping in and out of lanes. Same thing in front. Heck, 90% of the cars on the freeway will change lanes in the next 5 miles.

LAWLESSNESS. Rant over, sorry.
Old 05-10-19, 09:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Good drivers are a non issue. Who recognizes good drivers? Courteous gestures by drivers happen so rarely, here, it's unbelievable. It just doesn't happen. Turn signals? What's that? Oh, I'm blinding you at night with my 10,000 watt aircraft landing lights high beams, do I care? Heck no. Can I get a ticket for it? Heck no, drive as much as you want with your high beams on, no one gives a crap except every driver on the road being blinded. As I said earlier, it's complete lawlessness. I see Broward County Sheriffs on the freeway and cars just blazing past them at 90mph plus.

I keep pretty mellow on the highway, usually maintaining 70mph in the right (slow) lane. With that I will tell you, I have been honked at for going too slow. I've had high beams flashed at me for going too slow. I've been passed on the shoulder going 75mph (yes in the slow lane) for going to slow.

Nobody wants to drive behind anybody else. Everybody wants to go around everybody regardless of speed or which lane their in. I look in my rear view mirror and all I see is dozens of cars swapping in and out of lanes. Same thing in front. Heck, 90% of the cars on the freeway will change lanes in the next 5 miles.

Thank you. For using the word, lawlessness. I was a little kid, but I remember a film with Paul Newman, "Fort Apache The Bronx." That etched in my mind what lawlessness would like like. I was really bummed I didn't get a chance to experience it, until I moved to Phila. When I moved here in 1999, there was still prostitution on the streets, and abandoned vehicles. I was in heaven. Now, I could see firsthand, what was already gone in the rest of the USA.

Here it is, 2019, and it's still like the Wild Wild West. Red light camera at 34th and grays ferry ave. No problem, you go onto the other side of the double yellow and turn left, while everyone else is at a red light. I wouldn't think a system is that easily defeated, but what do I know.

Here's that situation I saw yesterday going to work. Corolla is going about 40 in a 25, but that wasn't fast enough for these two cars.

Old 05-10-19, 10:34 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

As a resident of south Florida, I have to say, we have the worst drivers in the nation.
ha... some people from every state say that about their local drivers.

one BIG challenge for florida is the huge number of people driving here who don't live here. we have an enormous constant influx of tourists, foreign fl property owners, business people, etc. a lot of them have no idea where they're going, and may not be familiar with u.s. driving laws at all. i see this big time around orlando because of MILLIONS of people going to the theme parks. coming out of orlando airport is especially dangerous as you have jetlagged foreigners in rental cars driving.

Our insurance rates are proof of that.
really? i don't see florida car insurance as particular worse or higher at all than other states.

Not only do we have all the senior "slow pokes"
and lead foots!

we also have in the mix, complete and total psychopaths that take chances with their lives and everyone around them. Driving in Miami (I live in Broward, BTW) It is complete lawlesness. I've seen 18 wheeled big rigs darting in and out of traffic at 75 mph.
there's some of these everywhere particularly i city areas.

and lets face it, traffic makes a lot of people do very irrational things.

We don't have a cell phone law, here, so everyone is texting or on the phone.
not true, texting and driving was banned a while back.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0316.305.html

Half the drivers in Miami are driving without insurance and they just don't care. (can't verify this, it was a statistic I heard once)
i believe that and THAT's a really serious problem. i would have no issue with random stops now and then.

I think the reason it's so bad here is that there are zero repercussions. One can drive any way they want and keep a clean record. If you do happen to get a ticket, it's because you were doing something really, really stupid or dangerous. Even then, you just buy your way out of it through a ticket clinic. BTW, you can get as many tickets as you want and buy them all off, no limit.
so if it's true you can buy your way out of tickets that doesn't mean there's no repercussions. what would you prefer instead? i do have a major problem with people driving without insurance and/or license though. a car is a lethal weapon and there's no 'right' to drive... someone without insurance or driver's license should go to prison imo or pay a massive fine at least for first offense.

We have no smog check program so you see kids driving around in 500hp Civics, 600hp STI's and 1,200hp Dodge's. They all stink because the first thing these kids do is rip out their cats.
you'd rather we have california's carb where they've outlawed most mods?

I'm hoping that when I retire, I'll be able to move to the west coast of Florida and relax a bit.
ha... maybe you should just take a vacay over there to recharge.
Old 05-10-19, 12:17 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ha... some people from every state say that about their local drivers.
True that. I used to think California drivers were the worst. (I'm originally from San Diego) I was so wrong. Last time I was in Ca. it was an absolute pleasure driving with sane people.
really? i don't see florida car insurance as particular worse or higher at all than other states.
We pay more than quadruple what we paid in San Diego and we drive two of the most boring, mundane cars known to mankind. No kids.
We shopped, but won't settle for a cut rate policy.
not true, texting and driving was banned a while back.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0316.305.html
Got me, there. Completely meaningless, though. Just buy your way out.
so if it's true you can buy your way out of tickets that doesn't mean there's no repercussions. what would you prefer instead? i do have a major problem with people driving without insurance and/or license though. a car is a lethal weapon and there's no 'right' to drive... someone without insurance or driver's license should go to prison imo or pay a massive fine at least for first offense.
No answer, there.
you'd rather we have california's carb where they've outlawed most mods?
HELL YES!!! Bit, I'm telling you, it's bad, really, really bad.
ha... maybe you should just take a vacay over there to recharge.
Soon enough.
Old 05-10-19, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Sounds like these people have some mental issues. Perhaps it's time for some therapy.
Old 05-10-19, 12:45 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

This is another one of those threads where nobody is going to come to any consensus, budge nor compromise. Might as well lock it imho.

My best friend in the world, mbfam, said if nobody is coming, and you pass someone over a double yellow, no harm, no foul. Especially if they're driving too slowly. He's one of the most reasonable people in the world, so I guess whether or not we agree upon everything really makes no difference. As it was once sung, "Well there's no need for you to be worryin' about all those people." What's the expression, don't be a martyr?
Old 05-10-19, 01:04 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sounds like these people have some mental issues. Perhaps it's time for some therapy.
Yup! When I have to drive in Miami, I'm terrified, and I'm a pretty confident driver. Miami's just too much for me, which is why I stay away unless absolutely necessary.
Old 05-10-19, 01:05 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

We pay more than quadruple what we paid in San Diego ...
when did you leave SD? my car insurance in FL is no worse than it was in GA.

Soon enough.
off-topic but where do you like on west coast of FL? Sanibel and Captiva I like...
Old 05-10-19, 01:23 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

when did you leave SD? my car insurance in FL is no worse than it was in GA.
We left in Oct of 2000. We were paying about $800/month/full coverage for a 5 year old Civic and a 5 year old Ranger. We got rid of the Ranger when we moved and bought a used 1991 Accord in Florida. So, for my Civic and the Accord our insurance went up to about $3,000/year plus we had to raise our deductible from $500 to $1000 Can you believe with our 2017 Accord and 2017 ES350 we're paying almost $5,000/year? No tickets, no accidents. (had one accident with accident forgiveness). We've changed insurance companies 3 times because our rates keep skyrocketing. If we had stayed with USAA, I'm guessing our insurance would be over $7k/year by now.
off-topic but where do you like on west coast of FL? Sanibel and Captiva I like...
We are looking at Cape Coral, Punta Gorda, Naples. Maybe Fort Meyers area.

Old 05-10-19, 01:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

We left in Oct of 2000. We were paying about $800/month/full coverage for a 5 year old Civic and a 5 year old Ranger.
well 19 years later you would be paying a lot more in San Tijuana Diego.

So, for my Civic and the Accord our insurance went up to about $3,000/year plus we had to raise our deductible from $500 to $1000 Can you believe with our 2017 Accord and 2017 ES350 we're paying almost $5,000/year? No tickets, no accidents. (had one accident with accident forgiveness).
no not really. must be local to where you are? i think i pay 1200 a year for my G90 so you make me feel pretty good about that now.

i looked at where coral gables is (w. of miami as you know) and then looked at crime rates... maybe that's a factor too
Old 05-10-19, 01:47 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

well 19 years later you would be paying a lot more in San Tijuana Diego.

no not really. must be local to where you are? i think i pay 1200 a year for my G90 so you make me feel pretty good about that now.

i looked at where coral gables is (w. of miami as you know) and then looked at crime rates... maybe that's a factor too
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's my zip code. I remember USAA telling me that our zip code was the highest in the nation.
Old 05-11-19, 12:02 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

says someone going 5 mph slower than rest of traffic is more dangerous than one going 5mph faster than the rest of traffic

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 05-11-19 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-11-19, 01:07 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I've thought about this more due to the thread, and my being pulled over 2 weeks ago. My mom got pulled over last week and she had me in stitches describing it. She was playing the little old lady routine, yes, it worked. I told her that officer has a mom too. Let her go with a warning, she did not come to a complete stop at a stop sign.

Anyway, yesterday morning, my commute comprised of a few incidents right off the bat, all on dash cam. 3 cars blew a school buses reds over a double yellow. Bus honked. The bus was obviously an impedance to these cars' voyage so they saw no reason to have to wait behind. If we had stop arm cams in Phila., that behavior stops.

Next, 3 cars passed a Corolla on a double yellow. My dash cam had me at 40 mph, the speed limit is likely 25, so those 3 cars were likely at 55-60. The Corolla was already doing 40.

I'm no longer buying the slow driver as a whole thing, at least in Phila. it's more you're going slower than I want to....pathetic really. Because I can tell you when someone is killed, a community is sorry, and then a month later it's the same again.
My school district does not have dash cams; I wish they did to catch MFs like this.

Quick Reply: Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!