Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Epidemic of extremely slow drivers!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it's not like avoiding a speeding ticket is particularly difficult, just don't go over the speed limit and you won't get one

im somewhat proud of my only getting tickets and never getting arrested and currently having no points lol
The big question is, though, did you learn from those tickets? As you note, the wise person simply learns to drive at or near the limit, and does not continually make excuses for why he or she cannot or will not do so.

I often hear the argument of keeping up wth fast-moving traffic, even if that traffic is averaging well above the posted limit. While that argument does, in some cases, have at least some merit, in general, a whole lot more tickets are given out for driving too fast than too slow.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-12-19 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-12-19, 06:42 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The big question is, though, did you learn from those tickets? As you note, the wise person simply learns to drive at or near the limit, and does not continually make excuses for why he or she cannot or will not do so.

I often hear the argument of keeping up wth fast-moving traffic, even if that traffic is averaging well above the posted limit. While that argument does, in some cases, have at least some merit, in general, a whole lot more tickets are given out for driving too fast than too slow.
i learned that speed enforcement is much more about making money than improving safety, and if owning a fast car and actually using it is a hobby of yours, expect to have to pay a fine every so often... oh well but i'd rather do that than only ever go 55

since you've never been to court for a speeding ticket i'll tell you how it goes... they read out loud what you did, ask you to briefly explain yourself, and say ok will you accept this plea bargain? ive been to courts where we were given the option of taking a less severe speeding ticket and fine, or pay a much steeper fine but for a non-moving violation and get no points... getting no points is almost always the preferred option because who wants their insurance to go up and have to deal with that whole affair

oh and i've also learned that the PBA card is very effective, almost annoyingly so lol... it actually kinda pisses me off how much of an unfair advantage it gives, just because you know some cops doesn't mean whatever you did is any less dangerous, but the whole thing is a game and i'm not gonna not play along
Old 05-12-19, 08:22 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Nice catch

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
And people who number items 5 and 6 twice.

More seriously, cars and even semis without plates? hard to believe they don’t get caught pretty quickly.
I put mistakes in everything I rite.

No car plates all the time. Mostly out of state from what the troopers tell me as sometimes they are relay cars in drug deals with one license plate. I've had them towed off the property on a clearly gated road. We donated the car as abandoned. The respondent was the Secretary of State of a major empire. Who thinks this crap up? Peggie? Or Flo?

Trucks - I've had to pull over and call them in especially after I saw a car sideswiped off the road on Highway 84. Why I took my life in my hands I'll never know.

All this crap goes on and people are splitting hairs over how to avoid a speeding ticket. If you are a citizen just plead to jaywalking and pay the fine.

BTW I was a passenger yesterday when doing the 35mph speed limit in a toney area, a wild turkey flew in front of us and went write into Tesla going 50+. Hope she had her turkey permit. Question - where do you get one of those T. fixed? Jim Cramer's restaurant? Of the seven I've seen only one Tesla was not on a flatbed with bad front end damage.

Last edited by ivanj; 05-12-19 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-13-19, 05:32 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanj
I put mistakes in everything I rite.

No car plates all the time. Mostly out of state from what the troopers tell me as sometimes they are relay cars in drug deals with one license plate. I've had them towed off the property on a clearly gated road. We donated the car as abandoned. The respondent was the Secretary of State of a major empire. Who thinks this crap up? Peggie? Or Flo?

Trucks - I've had to pull over and call them in especially after I saw a car sideswiped off the road on Highway 84. Why I took my life in my hands I'll never know.

All this crap goes on and people are splitting hairs over how to avoid a speeding ticket. If you are a citizen just plead to jaywalking and pay the fine.

BTW I was a passenger yesterday when doing the 35mph speed limit in a toney area, a wild turkey flew in front of us and went write into Tesla going 50+. Hope she had her turkey permit. Question - where do you get one of those T. fixed? Jim Cramer's restaurant? Of the seven I've seen only one Tesla was not on a flatbed with bad front end damage.
When I bought my car, it was from a dealership in New York State (Westchester). I live in PA. I drove around with a paper scotch taped to my rear glass, for about 40 days. Through tolls, on expressways, local roads, not one single time was I pulled over. You couldn't even read the piece of paper. I asked a trooper friend why wouldn't anybody pull me over, just to verify it's legit? He stated because there are better things to do and a very good chance it is legit. Very good chance? To your point, I am driving around PA, with a NYS in-transit permit that cannot be read at a reasonable distance, yet nobody pulls me over.

My wife used to be an A-1, I always wondered what would happen if we pulled that out with a cop in PA. I doubt he would know what to do, so hopefully maybe err to the side of caution. I mean it is a DOS credential. But in NYC/DC/LA they know exactly what to do. Nothing!
Old 05-13-19, 09:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Ok I think this ‘epidemic’ has been discussed sufficiently.