Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-19, 01:29 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I was watching the game an an ad for the GLI played, so I looked it up. VW still has the fun mentality and sticks available, but holy 1990's. The GLI has solid rear discs. And based on 3 relatives' experience with VW, the warranty is useless (unless you enjoy being told not covered under a full warranty, being made to pay, then getting your money back after a class action). I won't go as far as boycotting VW products as I haven't written off Porsche just yet, I will soon, but just not yet lol
Yeah nothing will get me in a VW, they are just too unreliable. I really don't care what consumer reports say's about Audi being one of the most reliable brands. I refuse to believe it, once they go past 50-60k miles there is no way in hell they are "above average" in reliability.
Old 05-17-19, 11:14 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 247 Likes on 188 Posts

looks ok, not much more than that... but i really couldn't care either way

and has anyone ever liked a screen placed like that? my mom just started a lease on the C300 coupe and it has the same issue of an otherwise nice interior spoiled by a screen just thrown on as though they almost forgot to include one
Old 05-18-19, 05:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
and has anyone ever liked a screen placed like that? my mom just started a lease on the C300 coupe and it has the same issue of an otherwise nice interior spoiled by a screen just thrown on as though they almost forgot to include one
amen. i know someone looking at a g70 and they LOVE everything about the car except the bolted on center screen.

i wonder if this design ‘trend’ came about because companies thought the screens would need replacing a lot and so burying them in the dash would make that much harder? No probably simpler than that of having the screen more at eye level. Either way, still a terrible design trend.
Old 05-18-19, 05:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
amen. i know someone looking at a g70 and they LOVE everything about the car except the bolted on center screen.

i wonder if this design ‘trend’ came about because companies thought the screens would need replacing a lot and so burying them in the dash would make that much harder? No probably simpler than that of having the screen more at eye level. Either way, still a terrible design trend.
It is just the trend, now we are seeing the mainstream brands add them. They are doing it because of the Apple Car play and such as people can see the screens better. And you can add touch.

I like how Toyota does it. I do not like the way Hyundai does it. GM is pretty good. Not a fan of the Audi set up.

I
Old 05-18-19, 07:31 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 445 Likes on 367 Posts

It’s alright. That screen looks massive.
Old 05-18-19, 08:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

BMW does a good job with their dash mounted screens. Since they are rectangular vs. square they can be recessed into the dash a bit and not stick up as much. The new gen is touchscreen too.
Old 05-19-19, 06:55 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

nice volkswagon
Old 05-20-19, 01:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

Just a hunch here, but I think the tacked-on screen look started when tablets starting becoming popular. Automakers got the idea that the public liked anything resembling a tablet and that we could relate to seeing a device we operate around the house, school, and work. There is probably a wide swath of society that doesn't mind the tacked-onto-a-dash-look, but we here take our cars a bit more seriously in the auto enthusiast world (yes, I hate it too).
Old 05-20-19, 03:12 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody always complains that In Dash screens look "Dated" so this is what you get and people still complain.
Old 05-20-19, 04:36 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kense
Everybody always complains that In Dash screens look "Dated" so this is what you get and people still complain.
they do? i think all styling should revolve around the principle of "tasteful integration" as i call it lol...

take the previous gen W212, everything more or less looks like it belongs where it should, even the W213 does a pretty good job of this despite the bigger screen
Old 05-20-19, 05:33 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the placement -- it's MUCH safer and easier to see --- but I prefer the retractable screens.
Old 05-20-19, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Just a hunch here, but I think the tacked-on screen look started when tablets starting becoming popular. Automakers got the idea that the public liked anything resembling a tablet and that we could relate to seeing a device we operate around the house, school, and work. There is probably a wide swath of society that doesn't mind the tacked-onto-a-dash-look, but we here take our cars a bit more seriously in the auto enthusiast world (yes, I hate it too).
Interesting point about the tablet-popularity comparison. I had not considered that.
Old 05-20-19, 07:18 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know when the freestanding infotainment screen became popular but I believe one reason for going that route may be that it is easier for the automaker to offer a range of different screen sizes.

Notice the unused, blank, black space on either side of the screen in the picture of this Mercedes-Benz model. Now imagine if MB had offered a smaller screen size; there would be more blank space surrounding that smaller screen. If, however, the screen was freestanding, MB could offer a range of screen sizes, from small to large and not have to worry about more unsightly black, blank space under the shroud as the screen size shrunk.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
they do? i think all styling should revolve around the principle of "tasteful integration" as i call it lol...

Old 05-21-19, 06:21 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I like the placement -- it's MUCH safer and easier to see --- but I prefer the retractable screens.
Our A6 has a retractable screen. It looks nice when down but it's up all of the time when anyone is in the car so the feature isn't appreciated too much.
Old 05-21-19, 01:26 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sulu
I don't know when the freestanding infotainment screen became popular but I believe one reason for going that route may be that it is easier for the automaker to offer a range of different screen sizes.

Notice the unused, blank, black space on either side of the screen in the picture of this Mercedes-Benz model. Now imagine if MB had offered a smaller screen size; there would be more blank space surrounding that smaller screen. If, however, the screen was freestanding, MB could offer a range of screen sizes, from small to large and not have to worry about more unsightly black, blank space under the shroud as the screen size shrunk.
there might be some truth to that, but the first car that came to my mind when you said that was the highlander which offered 2 screen sizes but still has a nice screen placement

LE:

XLE:

the XLE in particular i think perfectly follows my "tasteful integration" principle

Quick Reply: 2020 Audi A4