Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Buick Grand National Is the Ultimate 1980s Muscle Car - Doug Demuro

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-19, 05:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I think Doug is one of the best, if not the best, English speaking reviewer on youtube. The worst one is Alex on autos, I can't even last two minutes listening to his annoying, mundane reviews.

Well, Och, looks like we are simply going to have to disagree on Alex. You and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum on that one. In my book, Alex is one of the best, if not the best auto reviewer out there. His voice may be monotonous, but he actually tells you something...when he is done, you know every inch of the vehicle from stem to stern.
Old 05-18-19, 06:03 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, Och, looks like we are simply going to have to disagree on Alex. You and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum on that one. In my book, Alex is one of the best, if not the best auto reviewer out there. His voice may be monotonous, but he actually tells you something...when he is done, you know every inch of the vehicle from stem to stern.
Yes, and I really don't care to know about all the boring details of generally boring cars that he reviews.
Old 05-18-19, 01:03 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Agree. It may be monotone but he does a great job. Leave out your stupid sense of humor that some find pretty lame.
Old 05-18-19, 07:53 PM
nate101
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm actually pretty indifferent to Doug's quirks and features reviews, I watch them but his "More Doug" channel is more my speed. Hoovie does a nice job as do some of the European guys (Seen thru glass, Mr. JWW) but for me Jay Leno and Harry Metcalfe are the gold standards. Almost everything they put out I watch immediately and thoroughly enjoy.
Old 05-19-19, 07:24 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Agree. It may be monotone but he does a great job. Leave out your stupid sense of humor that some find pretty lame.
i'd bet that alex wishes he had doug's viewer numbers lol... the stupid sense of humor is how you stand apart from the others, i could just pick up a brochure for some facts and specs
Old 05-19-19, 07:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'd bet that alex wishes he had doug's viewer numbers lol... the stupid sense of humor is how you stand apart from the others, i could just pick up a brochure for some facts and specs
100% Issue is with Alex is he needs a professional editor. His videos are too long. Too much stuff that is pointless. He could have solid numbers if he just polished everything and fine tuned it

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-19-19 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-19-19, 08:49 AM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
100% Issue is with Alex is he needs a professional editor. His videos are too long. Too much stuff that is pointless. He could have solid numbers if he just polished everything and fine tuned it
As someone who's done a lot of video production/editing - I don't see a lot of good editing with these guys. They're mostly bad at it and don't use pros obviously. Alex has this notorious habit of using endless jump cuts and horrible framing of the shots. His monotone is the least of his issues not to mention his habit of dressing badly. Demuro is no better - just doing gonzo auto journalism (as does Hoovey).

But to the topic. The GNs and GNXs are legendary for their huge gobs of torque and horsepower from that era. And out of a lil ole Buick V6 yet.
Old 05-19-19, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I disagree. If one is going to do a full-review (as opposed to a partial-review or a static-only review), then do it thoroughly, without cutting corners. If people turn the video off halfway through because they don't have enough patience to watch it for 25 to 30 minutes, then that's on them, not on Alex, who does an excellent job.
Old 05-19-19, 09:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
As someone who's done a lot of video production/editing - I don't see a lot of good editing with these guys. They're mostly bad at it and don't use pros obviously. Alex has this notorious habit of using endless jump cuts and horrible framing of the shots. His monotone is the least of his issues not to mention his habit of dressing badly. Demuro is no better - just doing gonzo auto journalism (as does Hoovey).

But to the topic. The GNs and GNXs are legendary for their huge gobs of torque and horsepower from that era. And out of a lil ole Buick V6 yet.
Yes. When I referred to editing, I did not mean Oscar winning Joel *** style work. I meant to get it down to a manageable size of material and cut out a lot of the useless stuff which is what Alex on Autos presents. As for Doug, he work is not well made, but it is entertaining to me at least.
Old 05-19-19, 12:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I disagree. If one is going to do a full-review (as opposed to a partial-review or a static-only review), then do it thoroughly, without cutting corners. If people turn the video off halfway through because they don't have enough patience to watch it for 25 to 30 minutes, then that's on them, not on Alex, who does an excellent job.
Oh please, he reviews a mediocre vehicle, and starts comparing it to another dozen of vehicles that are just as miserable, and goes on for a good portion of the video about .3" difference in rear legroom between these vehicles. I find it hard to believe that there is a living soul on the planet that gives two flies about these details.
Old 05-19-19, 02:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Oh please, he reviews a mediocre vehicle, and starts comparing it to another dozen of vehicles that are just as miserable, and goes on for a good portion of the video about .3" difference in rear legroom between these vehicles. I find it hard to believe that there is a living soul on the planet that gives two flies about these details.
Well, then, with all due respect, if you don't like Alex, then watch Doug (the thread-topic), find someone else you like better, or do your own reviews. Those of us, here on Car Chat, who like watching Alex will probably continue to do so.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-19-19 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-19-19, 03:56 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, then, with all due respect, if you don't like Alex, then watch Doug (the thread-topic), find someone else you like better, or do your own reviews. Those of us, here on Car Chat, who like watching Alex will probably continue to do so.
And those who don't, won't. You have your strong opinions, others have their own. Anyone who doesn't like Alex knows not to watch him--you don't need to tell them. No need to tell others to do their own reviews. It's all good.
Old 05-19-19, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
And those who don't, won't. You have your strong opinions, others have their own. Anyone who doesn't like Alex knows not to watch him--you don't need to tell them. No need to tell others to do their own reviews. It's all good.
Oh, I agree.....but I wasn't the one doing most of the complaining here. I only addressed it.
Old 05-19-19, 04:59 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, I agree.....but I wasn't the one doing most of the complaining here. I only addressed it.
I was addressing how you addressed it, not the complaining. The internet was designed for complaining...
Old 05-19-19, 06:08 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts

this was meant to be more about the GN itself lol, it just happened to be that a major channel reviewed one

Quick Reply: The Buick Grand National Is the Ultimate 1980s Muscle Car - Doug Demuro