Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Canadian-Spec 2019 Full-size truck comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Canadian-Spec 2019 Full-size truck comparison.

Here's an interesting, if somewhat lengthy (20-minutes+), video for you full-size 1500 truck-series fans in Canada, who probably don't get as many Canadian-spec reviews to see as those of U.S.-spec trucks. It is unusual in that they bring in outside judges who are experienced in test-driving trucks, in addition to the video's actual sponsors. The truck models don't exactly match each other in drivetrain or equipment (though generally close), because the manufacturers all provided the specific version of the truck, with the specific options/equipment, that they wanted to represent them in the test.

The first 3-4 minutes of the video is a detailed explanation of exactly how all of the different tests and ratings were done, and what driving-courses were used, so you can skip that part if you aren't interested...but I'd watch it, as it helps you understand the ratings more.

If all you want is the final results (without the details), I'll list them here...

1. GMC Sierra Denali 1500 6.2L V8 with Active suspension
2. Ram 1500 5.7L Limited V8 Hemi with air suspension
3. Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2L V8
4. Ford F-150 Lariat 3.0L V6 Power-Stroke Diesel
5. Nissan Titan 5.6L V8
6. Toyota Tundra TRD Pro 5.7L V8

Having driven most (but not all) of these trucks, myself, in American Spec, I generally agree with the ratings, at least with the trucks unloaded.....they also did load and heavy-tow tests, which I didn't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-21-19 at 07:20 AM.
Old 05-20-19, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The one thing in the video I thought was a little odd is why Ford sent an F-150 with the small 3.0L diesel to compete with the much larger gas V8s in all of the other trucks.....I think that affected its ranking some.
Old 05-20-19, 05:15 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The one thing in the video I thought was a little odd is why Ford sent an F-150 with the small 3.0L diesel to compete with the much larger gas V8s in all of the other trucks.....I think that affected its ranking some.
What I've noticed with TFLtruck is sometimes they do these comparison videos with a mishmash of trucks they happened to have for other tests/reviews. For their drag race comparison, one of the F-150's(a 5.0 with 3.15 gears) had been lent to them for a fuel economy review, and since they had it on hand, they just used it for their drag races instead of going back and requesting another truck for that test. Funny enough it beat all the other trucks in the drag race except for the Ecoboost F-150.
Old 05-20-19, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Funny enough it beat all the other trucks in the drag race except for the Ecoboost F-150.
That may (?) be because of the aluminum construction, which, on average, makes most F-150s at least several hundred pounds lighter than the other trucks in the test.

There's some rumor that the next-generation Silverado will be aluminum. We'll see.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-21-19 at 07:19 AM.