Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-23, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
The only car I have ever had with a sunroof that doesn't spook me is actually my 190E, it somehow doesn't leak and has a manual override.

Manual overrides, with an emergency hand crank, used to be the norm among automakers, but then they stopped providing those cranks. Must have been a little cheaper to produce without the cranks and manual-hardware.
Old 04-17-23, 07:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
However going forward I just don't feel like giving in as much as I used to on vehicle feature preferences in a new or used car. Same with my dislike of crossovers and most SUVs. Sure, it's a challenge to avoid these things but for the money that vehicles cost I feel it is worth it to try hard to get the features you do want, avoid the ones you don't want and let the other choices and options you are 50/50 on let you have better odds.
You're gonna be drivin what you've got lol

I just don't understand why its worth so much frustration and consternation on your part...just leave the shade closed
Old 04-17-23, 08:06 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
However going forward I just don't feel like giving in as much as I used to on vehicle feature preferences in a new or used car. Same with my dislike of crossovers and most SUVs. Sure, it's a challenge to avoid these things but for the money that vehicles cost I feel it is worth it to try hard to get the features you do want, avoid the ones you don't want and let the other choices and options you are 50/50 on let you have better odds.

Specific vehicle color preference for instance is generally less important to me than the hardware configuration and design of the vehicle.

To each their own! We all have our preferences with vehicles
Pretty easy to get what you want, just order the car exactly how you want it. BMW is great at doing a custom order. Even Dodge was doing custom ordering on the Durangos when I was looking at a Hellcat.
Old 04-17-23, 08:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I can’t believe how hell-bent and determined the anti-sunroof members are on not wanting a sunroof. I applaud you all I’m like that against crossovers.
Old 04-17-23, 08:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I can’t believe how hell-bent and determined the anti-sunroof members are on not wanting a sunroof. I applaud you all I’m like that against crossovers.

It's not necessarily a question of being hell-bent or determined. Our opinion, for the most part, is simply that, for a number of reasons, one cannot beat the advantages of a fixed-roof. That's not to say, however, that convertibles are not fun. In fact, I can remember, some years ago, test-driving a Miata, top-down, when it was around freezing (32 degrees). People were staring at me like I was nuts LOL.
Old 04-18-23, 07:24 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I drove that Explorer for 8 years and never had that happen...
Originally Posted by tex2670
The amount of light that gets thru those vents is so minimal, it's not relevant. Allowing for the venting of air from the cabin is a nice feature; my old Lexus, I couldn't close the sunshade fully if I tilted the S/R while parked, so that let light into the cabin as well.
Apparently it bothers some more than others. A friend of mine asked me for opinion about tinting his wife's sunroof because he was told that it might cause the roof to explode when too much heat is captured inside the car. I asked him why he wanted to tint. And he told me about these openings. He said it sent the heat right to the hands. It didn't bother him when he drove but I guess his wife's skin was more sensitive to heat. She kept complaining about it and if nothing could be done, she wanted to sell the car. He decided to tint it with the darkest shade to block the heat out. And his life is back to normal.
Old 04-18-23, 09:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
Pretty easy to get what you want, just order the car exactly how you want it. BMW is great at doing a custom order. Even Dodge was doing custom ordering on the Durangos when I was looking at a Hellcat.
You can't order a car built custom without standard equipment. Try and order a BMW without a sunroof, its impossible. You can "custom order" within the available options and configurations.
Old 04-18-23, 09:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No idea why but I have seen this sentiment about suroofs on multiple forums. Not sure why...it may be "people want what they want" but think of all the other things they are forced to get that don't bother them...
Old 04-18-23, 10:14 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

You can't order a car built custom without standard equipment. Try and order a BMW without a sunroof, its impossible. You can "custom order" within the available options and configurations.
Not true. Mine which was built last week does not have one. Going through the 2023 pricing guide, it is optional on:

2 Coupe: $800 or premium package
2 Gran Coupe: $1,000 or convenience package, $1,350 panoramic
M3: No charge
M4: No charge
M5: No charge
X2: $1,150 or convenience package, premium package, or premium package 2
X3: $1,350 or convenience package or premium package
X3M: $1,350 or executive package
X4M: No charge deletion
iX: Not available (fixed glass roof)
XM: Not available

Where the moonroof is included in an option package, a deletion is usually if not always available for a credit equal to the standalone option price.

Last edited by geko29; 04-18-23 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-18-23, 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
But you can't delete the glass roof. Like you said, you can only delete it when its optional, so like I said you can only select configurations within whats optional. If the model has a standard sunroof which most of them do, you can't option out of it.
Old 04-18-23, 11:00 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

You can't change iX because that glass has the shade in it.
No MB has no sunroof, I don't think...
I think you're right. Option 414 is std feature.
Old 04-18-23, 11:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Not true. Mine which was built last week does not have one. Going through the 2023 pricing guide, it is optional on:

2 Coupe: $800 or premium package
2 Gran Coupe: $1,000 or convenience package, $1,350 panoramic
M3: No charge
M4: No charge
M5: No charge
X2: $1,150 or convenience package, premium package, or premium package 2
X3: $1,350 or convenience package or premium package
X3M: $1,350 or executive package

X4M: No charge deletion
XM: Not available

Where the moonroof is included in an option package, a deletion is usually if not always available for a credit equal to the standalone option price.
On the X3, a Pano S/R is optional. So are you saying that if you don't get the Pano roof, there's not just a regular sized S/R? That seems odd for a base X3.

I'm pretty sure that base X1 comes with no S/R.

Last edited by tex2670; 04-18-23 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-18-23, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

No idea why but I have seen this sentiment about suroofs on multiple forums. Not sure why...it may be "people want what they want" but think of all the other things they are forced to get that don't bother them...
Well, I am happy for those who want to hold their ground. I really am. It is well known that Toyota makes it very difficult to buy a car without sunroof if the package want is on the higher end. I was forced to buy my SUVs with a rolling down rear window which I do not want So be it..don't buy it I looked over at Chevrolet.com and the Tahoe has the panoramic roof as available on all trim levels, so there is a brand that is offering it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-18-23 at 02:01 PM.
Old 04-18-23, 02:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

I have been kicking the tires on a new car lately. All four of our vehicles have moonroofs and I have pretty much always had one. I see the new Corolla hatch and new Corolla hybrid do not offer them at all, so it got me thinking.

Is it a deal breaker for you to have one?

I do like the roof open at night, but I never ever open it during the day.
Not a deal breaker for me, but it would be nice to have a solid sunroof or a glass moonroof.
However, I don't like manufacturers making "panoramic" sunroofs standard with no delete option, because in warm weather climates, panoramic sunroofs are too hot.
Old 04-18-23, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

When you close the shade, they aren't hot.

Quick Reply: Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you?