Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-23, 12:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its way too expensive a piece of hardware to discard! It would also devalue the car not to have its hardtop. I just want one top that meets the vehicle's needs year round. If I buy a convertible I don't need it to look like a coupe with the top up.
LOL. Drop in the bucket for a $150,000 car. V12 MB would scoff at the costs involved
Old 04-19-23, 12:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,421 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I am lol! It just ruins the lines entirely and looks incomplete when down and cheap when up.
i don't think soft top convertibles with top down always look bad. but top up, yeah.

With it down it looks like the car got the top half cut off and misplaced. The tech they used is very typical and nothing that special btw, the tops always start out tight, dry, and working but that never lasts with rag tops.
i agree it's not so great looking down on the porsche, especially since it's exposed even down.

lc500 looks a lot better to me.

Old 04-19-23, 12:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

911 has an engine back there which limits what kind of cover mechanism they can employ, is my guess. I think both look great.
Old 04-19-23, 12:52 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Its way too expensive a piece of hardware to discard! It would also devalue the car not to have its hardtop. I just want one top that meets the vehicle's needs year round. If I buy a convertible I don't need it to look like a coupe with the top up.
Still looks great with softtop IMO.

Though yes lol y’all know me, I will find a Silver Arrow top eventually. It might be tomorrow, might be 5’years from now.
Old 04-19-23, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Sure, looks great.
Old 04-19-23, 01:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Sure, looks great.
Thanks!!! !!!
Old 04-19-23, 02:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think soft top convertibles with top down always look bad. but top up, yeah.

i agree it's not so great looking down on the porsche, especially since it's exposed even down.

lc500 looks a lot better to me.

The LC does look better. The Porsche front and rear overhangs look bad. The rear being that long does not look good IMO. Front is terrible too
Old 04-19-23, 02:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,215 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The LC does look better. The Porsche front and rear overhangs look bad. The rear being that long does not look good IMO. Front is terrible too
The fact it's a convertible makes the fat rear overhang look all the more worse than with the coupe. At least with the coupe it visually draws to a point and looks sleek and the back heaviness is minimized.

In normal form it's a decent looking car and one of the best looking 911s
Old 04-19-23, 02:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Is it possible to like them both? I do. Both look great.in their own way.
Old 04-19-23, 02:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I have never really liked Porsche. aside from the Panerama. 944 is really cool.
Old 04-19-23, 04:56 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,238 Likes on 865 Posts

You're gonna be drivin what you've got lol

I just don't understand why its worth so much frustration and consternation on your part...just leave the shade closed
Well... when I take delivery of a GR86 in not too long I'll certainly be driving another thing that I've got. And it comes in a hard top roof design just as I prefer

As for my SC which has a sunroof, I have done so much other modification to it at this point that I wanted that I'm certainly going to continue driving it.

As I said many times in previous posts I *do* keep the overhead sun shade closed all the time. I've collected new spares of just about every OEM body seal made for the car and when I take it in to have the entire body prepped for a fresh repaint a discussion with the body shop as to which method to pursue to potentially delete the sunroof in a clean way with custom metalwork will happen.

But it's a classic car at this point so it's not really a normal case compared to new vehicles one would use in a more practical manner. It has sentimental value to me and so the lengths to which I would and already have gone to change various aspects of it to suit my tastes over the long term are very different from how one approaches vehicle features on a new or slightly used car purchase.

You don't get why some people dislike sunroofs and glass roofs so much and are so determined about it and that's fine. But we all have our preferences and likes and dislikes about vehicles. To each their own. There is nothing stopping someone else from happily enjoying a vehicle with a sunroof or full glass roof.

As for custom ordering, as you mentioned-- you can only custom order if that manufacturer even does customer custom orders within the manufacturing cycle for that model year and if the manufacturer even offers a solid metal or even CF roof option for that model in any trim level.

I'm very much looking forward to my new car and its welcome lack of having any glass above my head. It may be a harder thing to purchase in a new car these days but I am glad there are some new vehicles available which cater to that preference.

Now as to convertibles... I have a very different opinion and like them even though I don't have room for, need or want for a convertible vehicle in my life but I do think many of them (not all... there are some ugly examples) are beautiful and provide a very fun experience with top-down driving. I also think they are becoming a very niche thing in their own right but to some limited extent with some two-door Miata and Miata style affordable two-seaters and very high end luxury two door coupes I can't see them ever fully going away.
Old 04-19-23, 05:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Exactly, liking one doesn’t mean you can’t like the other. Not a lot of people dislike a 911.
Old 04-19-23, 05:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly, liking one doesn’t mean you can’t like the other. Not a lot of people dislike a 911.
I have never really liked sports cars. Mercedes S coupes I like. Mercedes S class convertibles I like. Porsche 911s I don’t quite care for. I see so many of them too that they don’t seem that special. It’s nothing personal. I think a lot of people just like them because they just go with the flow. … how cliche.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-20-23 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-20-23, 06:57 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Now that I have a convertible I'll never not own one. Talk about a breath of fresh air and the sound of a V8 wail to make you smile. Very addictive, I've put way too many miles on mine already lol.
Old 04-20-23, 07:37 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

IMO, top down is great when it's enjoyable. When it's not down, soft top looks odd for my taste. I'd rather that a hard top convertible where available.

Quick Reply: Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you?