Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-23, 05:23 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I would never buy a car without one. For future purchases, I doubt if I'd buy a car without a pano sunroof.
Old 04-13-23, 07:49 AM
xGS350x
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson2000
I hate sunroofs/moonroofs, and thus, hate that it is hard to find a vehicle these days without one. I applaud Toyota for not offering them in some models, and wish it was optional on all others. I particularly dislike having to pay for something I don't want.

A leaky roof or drain tube can be the beginning of the end of one's vehicle. Once mold and mildew set in, it's over Johnny! Too, the moldy smell is often the first clue of a leak, and by then, it's too late to resolve without a major investment in a proper repair...replacing all interior parts that got wet, in addition to fixing the leak!
In my experience with moonroofs, mold and water is not a problem at all.
Old 04-13-23, 07:57 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
Mine as well, and that includes long-term ownership of multiple cars where they're used hundreds of times per year (mine) and almost never (my wife's).
Old 04-13-23, 08:48 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Mine as well, and that includes long-term ownership of multiple cars where they're used hundreds of times per year (mine) and almost never (my wife's).
Your lucky the motor didn't burn out. Mine did on a Highlander, an $800 repair bill. Sun roofs are are a waste of money forced on most. I would never buy a car with a glass roof either.
Old 04-13-23, 08:55 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Your lucky the motor didn't burn out. Mine did on a Highlander, an $800 repair bill. Sun roofs are are a waste of money forced on most. I would never buy a car with a glass roof either.
Well then I've been lucky multiple times. Used the 12-year-old motor in my sunroof 6 times just yesterday.
Old 04-13-23, 09:06 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 493 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Well then I've been lucky multiple times. Used the 12-year-old motor in my sunroof 6 times just yesterday.
Bottom line...I suppose sunroofs/moonroofs are great, if you like them and use them. That is...until they leak or break! However, if you don't like them and use them, they're a waste of money (baked into the cost of a vehicle), and especially when they leak or break!
Old 04-13-23, 09:20 AM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do moonroofs that come with cars in 2023 still leak and break? That always seemed to be a problem with people who put in aftermarket sunroofs. I've never had a modern car (Modern being last 20 years) have any sunroof issues ever.
Old 04-13-23, 09:38 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
Do moonroofs that come with cars in 2023 still leak and break? That always seemed to be a problem with people who put in aftermarket sunroofs. I've never had a modern car (Modern being last 20 years) have any sunroof issues ever.
Oh yeah......it's still a major issue. If you get one that is good all is well but if you get a bad one then it will be endless issues with very little support from dealers. You will be brushed off, the issue won't be properly repaired, and if the leak is not caught quickly it will fry your front sensor cluster and maybe some A pillar modules or floor modules.

They will all leak at some point if you don't maintain even a good one, you need to occasionally snake the drains and in some cars make certain the drain hoses don't work their way off the sunroof frame drain outlets.
Old 04-13-23, 11:25 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, if the car I want doesn't have one, the deal is broken.

Love sunroofs, and especially loved my old Z with T-tops.

I have an M3 convertible currently, and I can't wait to take a sunset drive as the day winds down today, top down of course. It's a religious experience on a warm night to have the top down, and pretty damn good on a beautiful, sunny day too.
Old 04-13-23, 12:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I hate sunroofs/moonroofs, and thus, hate that it is hard to find a vehicle these days without one. I applaud Toyota for not offering them in some models, and wish it was optional on all others. I particularly dislike having to pay for something I don't want.
Originally Posted by rogerh00
I will be honest. Every time I open the sunroof on my 2004, the thought does cross my that it may never close again.

I hate sunroofs/moonroofs, and thus, hate that it is hard to find a vehicle these days without one!
It is easier now than it was in the past. At least for Toyota. They don’t have them on some models as a way for Toyota to save. I know Corolla Hatch does not have one at all. Some of the IS models. A few 4Runner models were deleted too.

A leaky roof or drain tube can be the beginning of the end of one's vehicle. Once mold and mildew set in, i!
The drain on my 2004 was plugged. I did manage to clean it out two summers ago.
Old 04-13-23, 12:24 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kense
I have had 6 cars since the year 2000 with a glass sunroof (owned from 6 - 10 years), and an '82 Honda that I owned in the early 90s for 4 years with a glass sunroof. Never had a single leak; only 1 repair needed, which was under warranty.

There have been some stories about some pano sunroofs being prone to shattering, but it's hardly widespread.
Old 04-13-23, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A leaky roof or drain tube can be the beginning of the end of one's vehicle. Once mold and mildew set in, it's over Johnny! Too, the moldy smell is often the first clue of a leak, and by then, it's too late to resolve without a major investment in a proper repair...replacing all interior parts that got wet, in addition to fixing the leak!
I totally agree with Wilson. No sunroofs....for a number of different reasons. It would be an almost 100% deal-breaker for me.
Old 04-14-23, 09:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by xGS350x
It can be for sure. It depends on where you park. My old ES300 has sat outside since I stopped driving it in 2010, and clogged drains and leaks are a consistent problem because of where it sits and the debris that falls on it and gets clogged. My cousin's Nissan Rogue has a similar issue, he constantly has to clear drain lines and try and keep the roof from leaking because of that. Garaged cars or cars that aren't parked under trees, etc, agreed its a non issue.

The weather here has been incredible and I have probably used my roof more in the last week than in the last 5 years lol
Old 04-14-23, 12:38 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

I just had to pass on an otherwise acceptable Land Rover Discovery II yesterday since the front sunroof ruined the car, it leaked in the typical manner since the car was parked outside and never maintained. Being under trees didn't help but in these cars a leak there ends up taking out the behind-dash ECUs and rusting the firewall from inside.......if this one didn't have sunroofs it would have been fine and I would have been finally able to get a D2.
Old 04-14-23, 03:59 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I totally agree with Wilson. No sunroofs....for a number of different reasons. It would be an almost 100% deal-breaker for me.
What are the reasons you don’t like a sunroof MM?

Quick Reply: Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you?