Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 07:30 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Youd be just about as likely to get credit cards stuck up there lol
Do your kids have credit cards?
Old 04-15-23, 07:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Do your kids have credit cards?
The have about as many as they have coins lol
Old 04-15-23, 07:38 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 203 Posts

I have always bought/ordered cars with sunroofs even though I rarely use them these days. It's just nice to have the option and in my mind it seems it would be easier to sell if I were to sell to a private party. I have owned cars with power sunroofs since the 90's and have never had a problem ever just like power windows so the thought of them breaking isn't really an issue to me. I'm sure it can be an issue but not prevalent enough for me to worry about.

As far as coins go, like CTJill said, in a cashless society I don't even know many kids with change like that anymore.
Old 04-15-23, 07:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

My guess is your children will never use an actual credit card. By the time they are old enough, all on cell phone. I mean I can’t remember the last time I had to pull a card out and use it. All on phone now
Old 04-15-23, 07:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah that’s probably true!
Old 04-15-23, 07:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And sunroofs have jam protection too
Old 04-15-23, 07:45 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 203 Posts

My guess is your children will never use an actual credit card. By the time they are old enough, all on cell phone. I mean I can’t remember the last time I had to pull a card out and use it. All on phone now
Most likely right, my kids are too young for a credit card but they have applepay on their phones.
Old 04-15-23, 07:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thank god we won’t have credit cards to get jammed in our sunroof rails!
Old 04-15-23, 08:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Thank god we won’t have credit cards to get jammed in our sunroof rails!
I would entertain the idea that kids might throw pebbles or rocks in the sunroof rails. You should see my nephew run down rocks and bring them back to his mom. It’s adorable …. But then again. How is he gonna get them up in the roof rails? He is like two feet tall at two years of age

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I've also heard of cases.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5149046/h...hattering/amp/

https://ca.topclassactions.com/lawsu...fied-by-judge/

I mean there is a class action lawsuit

https://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/wa...fs-flying-off/

I am little surprised that Hyundai shattering sunroofs wasn’t bright up as a potential reason to avoid a Hyundai with glass.

….………..

@Striker223 For Striker. Have you had a lot of sunroof repairs?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-15-23 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-15-23, 08:50 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,215 Likes on 902 Posts

I would entertain the idea that kids might throw pebbles or rocks in the sunroof rails. You should see my nephew run down rocks and bring them back to his mom. It’s adorable …. But then again. How is he gonna get them up in the roof rails? He is like two feet tall at two years of age

https://globalnews.ca/news/5149046/h...hattering/amp/

https://ca.topclassactions.com/lawsu...fied-by-judge/

I mean there is a class action lawsuit

https://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/wa...fs-flying-off/

I am little surprised that Hyundai shattering sunroofs wasn’t bright up as a potential reason to avoid a Hyundai with glass.

….………..

@Striker223 For Striker. Have you had a lot of sunroof repairs?
Typical Hyundai lol!

Yes and no.....all my RXs needed drains cleaned out and I always clean my other cars before issues start. Generally by the time people bring me a car the sunroof has already leaked too much and ruined the interior or outright killed the car electronics.

My A8s BOTH had leaks but the W12 was caught at 30 miles according to it's history at the Beverly Hills dealer. That ended up lemon-law recalling the car since parts took too long to show up, according to the report the headliner, front camera, windshield, some dash ECUs and trim, and pano assembly all had to be replaced to the cost of $32k. My 2015 had the front sunroof leak and it killed the headliner and front camera and cost $17k to fix out of warranty for the last person who owned it, that resulted in the car being sold. I'm not too upset about it since I have proof of what was done on the W12 and the 4.0 is a normal headliner car so it's whatever IMO.

I do however live in near constant fear of leaks on both of them. I have already tested them though car washes, buckets, and hoses and they don't leak but I still get nervous whenever it rains. Just a stupid design IMO. I'll take a solid roof any day over pano nonsense I never use. If I want that open air feel I'll just buy a convertible instead of a half measure, probably won't since I prefer the interior to stay sealed
Old 04-15-23, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Of course there are potential issues with sunroofs. You said coins get in sunroof tracks, I don’t see how that’s possible.

I did not say it was a common event. I only said (correctly) that I've seen some reported cases if it. And that's all I have to say abut it.

Old 04-15-23, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I rarely use coins for anything any more, except for quarters for coin-operated vacuums for the Encore GX, since the small hand-held cordless vacuums are too weak to be effective, and my condo unit does not have an outside plug for a vacuum.

Originally Posted by Striker223
I'll take a solid roof any day over pano nonsense I never use. If I want that open air feel I'll just buy a convertible instead of a half measure, probably won't since I prefer the interior to stay sealed
Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. But true convertibles are almost extinct in today's market.
Old 04-15-23, 09:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I did not say it was a common event. I only said (correctly) that I've seen some reported cases if it. And that's all I have to say abut it.
Yeah sorry, not buying it lol. The only way to get coins in the mechanism is to intentionally put them there, in which case its not something "that can happen" its vandalism.
Old 04-15-23, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah sorry, not buying it lol. The only way to get coins in the mechanism is to intentionally put them there, in which case it's can vnot something "that can happen" its vandalism.
Vandalism it may very well be. But I'm not going to argue it all day long.....I'm through with that issue.
Old 04-15-23, 12:37 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Of course there are potential issues with sunroofs. You said coins get in sunroof tracks, I don’t see how that’s possible.
Philadelphia sunroof vandalism ring:
https://www.police1.com/bizarre/arti...7ATuj0lrvi9ns/

1 million dimes stolen from truck in Philly Walmart parking lot

Authorities say the thieves fled with at least $100,000, although it's not yet known how they carted off the mounds of dimes

Apr 13, 2023
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA — Thieves may not have been counting on finding a mountain of change when they broke into a truck filled with $750,000 in dimes, but they still made off with a chunk of the cargo and left coins scattered around a Philadelphia parking lot, authorities said.

Authorities say the thieves apparently fled with at least $100,000. It's not yet known how they carted off the mounds of dimes.

The theft was reported around 6 a.m. Thursday. The tractor-trailer driver had picked up the dimes from the Philadelphia Mint on Wednesday, authorities said, and was planning to transport them to Florida on Thursday.

It's not clear how many people may have been involved in the theft or if they knew what the truck contained. Responding police officers found hundreds of dimes scattered all over the parking lot, and authorities were still trying to determine how much money was stolen.

No arrests have been made.

Quick Reply: Is a moonroof/sunroof a deal breaker for you?