Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford enters final stretch of cutting 7,000 white-collar jobs

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19 | 03:08 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, you just hit another nail...almost on the head. Despite rhetoric, they have not provided convincing reasons why these products should be dropped.....particularly when rising gas prices could very well stimulate the sale of small cars again. The Taurus is also widely bought and used by police departments.
No offense, but unlike you, I do not feel like they need to provide any convincing reasons to eliminate some of their products. They are a for-profit corporation and they feel there is more money to be made by moving away from sedans and small cars. They're decision. I'm fine with it.

Also, gas prices have already come back up (I paid $4 this week) and yet, buyers are not flocking back to cars and ditching their SUVs/CUVs.
Old 05-21-19 | 03:12 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76

Also, gas prices have already come back up (I paid $4 this week) and yet, buyers are not flocking back to cars and ditching their SUVs/CUVs.
I don't think people are going to switch from Ford cross overs to small Ford cars. I think Ford knows this. I think Ford knows people will move to Toyota or Honda cars is gas prices starts to affect consumer buying decisions.
Old 05-21-19 | 03:15 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't think people are going to switch from Ford cross overs to small Ford cars. I think Ford knows this. I think Ford knows people will move to Toyota or Honda cars is gas prices starts to affect consumer buying decisions.
In addition to that, the current crop of SUVs and CUVs just aren't that bad for mileage anymore. The most efficient vehicle in my garage is my Highlander, which uses about half as much gas as my sedan (GS). All of those CR-Vs, RAV4s, CX-5s, etc. are not bad on gas.
Old 05-21-19 | 03:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No offense, but unlike you, I do not feel like they need to provide any convincing reasons to eliminate some of their products. They are a for-profit corporation and they feel there is more money to be made by moving away from sedans and small cars. They're decision. I'm fine with it.
Don't get me wrong....I greatly respect your opinion (always have) But, the way I see it, if these companies want our money spent on their new vehicles, privately-owned/for-profit or not, they have to treat us like we have at least half a brain. Not only that, but laying thousands upon thousands of people doesn't help their PR any.

Some them might not be able to afford to....they are stuck in lease-contracts and/or already in over their heads in SUV payments.
Old 05-21-19 | 03:17 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

In addition to that, the current crop of SUVs and CUVs just aren't that bad for mileage anymore. The most efficient vehicle in my garage is my Highlander, which uses about half as much gas as my sedan (GS). All of those CR-Vs, RAV4s, CX-5s, etc. are not bad on gas.
Yes, I do agree with you that the new cross overs are better than before.
Old 05-21-19 | 03:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Here's what a Morgan Stanley analyst says about Ford's decision to make the salaried job cuts.

Ford is “being proactive to extract profit from cost savings as global production slows and vehicle mix probably doesn’t have much further to run,” Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas said in a note.

The move is simply one of the things big car makers will have to contemplate in a new world in the industry, Jonas said.

“Auto companies globally are contemplating life where global production has greater downside risk than upside,” Jonas wrote. “Particularly as we see the impact of China (which accounted for 80 percent of the industry’s unit volume growth since 2007) not participating in the growth anymore.”
Old 05-21-19 | 03:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't get me wrong....I greatly respect your opinion (always have) But, the way I see it, if these companies want our money spent on their new vehicles, privately-owned/for-profit or not, they have to treat us like we have at least half a brain. Not only that, but laying thousands upon thousands of people doesn't help their PR any.
Appreciate that, thanks.

Honestly, if I were to buy a Ford, it'd be an SUV or truck anyway. But I'm not really in the market.

And as I've mentioned before, I am probably a bit more numb to mass layoffs than many, as our last round of layoffs here was over 20k people. Not to lack compassion for those folks, but to understand that it's just part of an engineering career these days.
Old 05-21-19 | 03:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Here's what a Morgan Stanley analyst says about Ford's decision to make the salaried job cuts.

Ford is “being proactive to extract profit from cost savings as global production slows and vehicle mix probably doesn’t have much further to run,” Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas said in a note.

The move is simply one of the things big car makers will have to contemplate in a new world in the industry, Jonas said.

“Auto companies globally are contemplating life where global production has greater downside risk than upside,” Jonas wrote. “Particularly as we see the impact of China (which accounted for 80 percent of the industry’s unit volume growth since 2007) not participating in the growth anymore.”
This seems logical. But why are we not seeing similar layoffs at Toyota or Honda for their engineers?
Old 05-21-19 | 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK, folks, I'll shut up now. I've posted a lot in this thread, and I'm sure some may disagree. Let them have some responses, if they want.
Old 05-21-19 | 03:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This seems logical. But why are we not seeing similar layoffs at Toyota or Honda for their engineers?
I don't know. It might have something to do with Toyota and Honda current staffing levels. Maybe they are lower than Ford's. Not sure though.
Old 05-21-19 | 03:33 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't know. It might have something to do with Toyota and Honda current staffing levels. Maybe they are lower than Ford's. Not sure though.
Seems to me, Toyota and Honda find ways to whether the storm better than GM or Ford. Different ways of managing I guess. I think these layoffs have a lot to do with not producing in the US/Can and finding ways not allocate product to North American plants.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-21-19 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-21-19 | 04:57 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Many (if not most) of the Ford layoffs are in Europe where the market is not very good for them. Even Honda is feeling the pinch and are closing a plant in the UK. One of the big issues at Ford is their management structure where the average "manager" has only 5 people reporting to him. Part of this restructuring is to reduce the management bloat.
Old 05-21-19 | 06:28 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

According to the article, Ford (and GM) are cutting back staff now so that they will have the money to invest in developing electric and autonomous vehicles.

"To succeed in our competitive industry, and position Ford to win in a fast-changing future, we must reduce bureaucracy, empower managers, speed decision making and focus on the most valuable work, and cost cuts," Hackett wrote.
In November, General Motors announced it would shed up to 14,000 workers as it cut expenses to prepare for a shift to electric and autonomous vehicles.
Both companies have said the cuts are needed to prepare for the future, because companies face huge capital expenditures to update their current vehicles and develop them for the future.
As to why Toyota and Honda are not cutting back staff, it may be a difference in culture. North American companies are more likely to reduce staff, while Japanese companies do not, keeping staff on until the problem is over.

My question about cutbacks of white collar staff, including engineers, is this: If Ford and GM want to invest in developing new types of vehicles -- electric and autonomous vehicles -- do they not need engineers to design these new vehicles? What happens if they find that they lost the engineers and other professional staff they need in the cutbacks?
Old 05-21-19 | 10:16 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

This EV push by the governments in EU, US etc will kill 50% of the existing automakers.

Its completely rediculuous to think that car companies can go from mass production of ICE to 100% EV.
The idea is on same level of lunacy as eliminating all the Glass buildings in Manhattan for greater efficiency as our wonderful mayor wants to do lol.
Old 05-22-19 | 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This EV push by the governments in EU, US etc will kill 50% of the existing automakers.

Its completely rediculuous to think that car companies can go from mass production of ICE to 100% EV.
It will be interesting to see what this does to Testa's future. Not long ago, a number of people were predicting their bankruptcy....but, of course, EVs is all they produce. They still need too recognize, though, that they bit off more than they could chew wth all of these company-owned facilities.

Ford has an all-electric Focus, but that will do them no good if they drop it along with all the other Focus models.

The idea is on same level of lunacy as eliminating all the Glass buildings in Manhattan for greater efficiency as our wonderful mayor wants to do lol.
Your wonderful mayor is now talking about running for President. Your previous mayor, Bloomberg, considered it, but then decided no.

Quick Reply: Ford enters final stretch of cutting 7,000 white-collar jobs