Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does the Lexus ES Have Any Shortcomings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 09:04 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed, but vehicles can often be well-evaluated even by non-owners. Alex Dykes proves that.
I think the feedback of the owners about this car are more important than what Alex thinks. An Avalon got a 92 rating in your favourite magazine with 45 series tires, I expect the ES to have a similar rating.
Old 05-22-19, 09:13 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

In answer to the original question, yes the 2019 ES350 does have shortcomings.
1.) No sunglass holder
2.) Awkward placement of USB plugs
3.) Some hard plastic in locations that should have soft touch

As you can see from my vast (or half vast) list of critical shortcomings, I really like this car! It is roomy, quiet, smooth riding, and surprisingly frugal with gasoline. The acceleration and smooth shifting 8 speed auto are better than I expected.
Old 05-22-19, 09:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I think every car has shortcomings, but it's about prioritizing and designing for your intended audience, and I think the ES pretty much nails it.

For me, I would say FWD is a shortcoming because that's not what I want. But the ES wasn't designed for me.

As much as the ES can get beat up on here for being FWD, I actually think it's brilliant. For many people, FWD is a benefit, and even a must-have.

My folks, for example, would never buy a RWD car. They will only buy FWD or AWD, as FWD does reasonably well around here in inclement weather. Add to that the great packaging, in how the transverse engine layout maximizes interior space, and you have a real winner for those who prioritize comfort, space, and easy cruising. The FWD layout is also less expensive to build, so you can end up with a really good value. FWD is pretty easy to live with for most people.
Old 05-22-19, 09:35 AM
Aprilia
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The styling is superb.

Several times I've mistaken it for an older LS from the rear.
Old 05-22-19, 02:56 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

i think Lexus absolutley knocked it out of the park with the new ES. the styling is absolutely beautiful. id go as far as to say they did a better job with the new ES then the LS. the fit and finish has improved, the ride stability has improved, and it feels sportier then the 6ES. they got it just right. theres really only 2 things that are, (to me), a thing. it feels smaller then the outgoing model, which is kinda good in a way cause it makes it feel sportier, but the second is an unforgivable sin that the ES has been inflicted with since day one, FWD. i just cant take a FWD car seriously nomatter what it is and its a shame cause it would change everything about this car. its fast, stylish, fun to drive, but its still FWD. if they had made the 7ES RWD, it would have not only been a true GS replacement, but worthy of doing so.
Old 05-22-19, 03:05 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I'm not sure what was wrong with the ES you tested, but mine with the 18" wheels and 45 series tires rides very well and is extremely quiet. Even Alex gave it a A+ in both ride and noise. My car, a UL with the noise reducing wheels, is among the quietest I have driven.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I stand by my statement on the (particular) one I sampled, it is possible, even with the noted Lexus standard of quality-control, that it had a sample-defect in it that just happened to get out of the factory undetected...maybe a bad seal or bad fit around the windshield, windows, or doors, which added to road and wind noise, and I just happened to catch the luck of the draw on the test-drive.

Since several people on the forum disagree with me on the new ES, even on the model with the 45-series tires (and I'm well-aware of that disagreement), what I might (?) do is try and find another sample equipped the same way (45-series), give it another random test-drive, and see if the second sample isn't a little more refined. The 2019 XLE Avalon I sampled, with 55-series tires, was definitely more refined...I might even sample a new ES that way.
I presently own a stable of 5 old Lexiis with: 15" 65%, 16" 55%, 17" 50%, 18" 45% and 19" 40% profile tires.
I can tell you that my daily 18" 45% profile Pirelli Cinturato P7's on my 4GS are very comfortably and quiet compared to the OEM Dunlop SP Sport 050's, but they are never as comfortable nor as quiet as the same Pirelli Cinturato P7 @ 225/50R17 fitted to my old 3GS which my staff drive.

It's all relative; it depends what we compare with.
Certainly, the lower the profile, the more the ride and noise deteriorates.

The sports trim should always use the lower profile tires etc.
However, cars are getting bigger, heavier and higher performing, so even the base models need larger disc brake rotors, and wider tires etc, hence the lower profile.

As for the 7ES, it pretty well has done its job.
No car is perfect.
7ES could always do more.

The front overhang could be shorter like a Volvo, not least even Toyota's own Camry.
The trunk with its pinched tail styling could be deeper.
If anyone has ever driven the 3GS, it has a long wheelbase with very soft coils and soft dampers, resulting in a majestic ride, but because it is RWD, it handles with alacrity compared to any ES.
Old 05-23-19, 07:50 AM
evident
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts

FWD, and there's still no reason why the rear seats don't fold all the way down.
Old 05-23-19, 10:30 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

The 7ES is well executed - i haven't driven it yet but sat in a fully optioned-out lux package model in the showroom at my local dealership around $55k. Although I feel like at that price, they could have gone a step further with the materials. There is a more substantial "feel" to seats, doors, leathers, plastics, trunk etc. when you start to get into cars in Lexus lineup that cost that much ($55k+) like the GS, LS, GX and LX.

To me, the 7ES still feels like its stuck in between being an entry level value and a mid-range luxury, step below flagship sedan. Especially with all the talks surrounding impending doom/gloom for the GS, I think the ES's only miss is in upping the level of craftsmanship and feel for its increased price point.
Old 05-23-19, 10:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19

To me, the 7ES still feels like its stuck in between being an entry level value and a mid-range luxury, step below flagship sedan. .

That has always been the point of the ES.
Old 05-23-19, 11:07 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
That has always been the point of the ES.
I think what I was trying to get across was that the only shortcoming of the 7ES is that it is part entry level luxury and part not. They could have used this opportunity to use materials similar to the GS/GX line if its going to cost 50k+ and finally move it up in "class" or category. Maybe they'll do that once it has AWD which will add even more to its price!
Old 05-24-19, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Maybe they'll do that once it has AWD which will add even more to its price!
AWD doesn't necessarily have to add to the price, although most manufacturers do, in fact, charge more for it. But, although it may not be a direct 100% comparison, just take a look at one of the ES's main competitors.....the Lincoln MKZ. Lincoln manages to price all of the regular gas-powered and hybrid versions at the same base price for comparable trim levels......Standard, Reserve and Black Label. I don't see why a way can't be found to do that for AWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-24-19 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-24-19, 07:55 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

This British reviewers thinks there are many shortcomings.

Old 05-24-19, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Yes.....he complained about about the hard-to-use dash video controls, headroom-robbing roofline, in-your-face grille, general road manners, and noise level compared to the Germans.
Old 05-24-19, 08:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

https://youtu.be/LTABx4eKUvg
As usual, garbage from our friends across the pond. ES isn't even in the same league as a 5 series, E Class, etc. Pretty stupid comparison.

On another note, I'm pretty shocked I haven't seen one around town here. I see a new LS about once every 3 months or so; have literally not seen one ES.

Believe it or not, in this SUV crazy area, the Lexus I see the most frequently is the now very old GX by a pretty fair margin.
Old 05-24-19, 10:42 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

https://youtu.be/LTABx4eKUvg
Wrong competition. The ES is priced equal to 3-series, A4's, C-classes, and so forth. Poor judgement above.

Quick Reply: Does the Lexus ES Have Any Shortcomings?