Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi TT gets the ax

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 06:18 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Audi TT gets the ax

A little more than 20 years after the stylish coupe debuted, Audi is preparing to kill off the TT. Currently in its third iteration, the TT will reportedly be replaced eventually with an "emotive" electric vehicle that will be priced in the same ballpark.

The third-gen TT was introduced in 2014, so it is getting on a bit. Earlier Audi TT coverage has had a slight sense of uncertainty about the model's future — some speculation touted a possible four-door coupe replacement. But now that the cat is on the table, the TT will step aside to make room for more electric Audi vehicles. According to Automotive News Europe, Audi's decision to focus on sustainability means it has to ax a number of models that no longer justify their presence in the lineup. With competitors such as the Mercedes-Benz SLC, formerly known as SLK, also giving up the ghost, the sporty two-door segment seems to be shrinking even further. Out of the three similarly priced sporty Germans introduced in the late 1990s, only the BMW Z3 will continue to have a successor model in the 2020s.

Audi CEO Bram Schot stated: "In the medium term, we want to have the strongest range of electric models among premium competitors." The new strategy will consist of 20 full-electric vehicles in a 30-strong electrified lineup by 2025.

Other models facing complete re-evaluation are the A8 luxury car, which Schot says could well go full-electric, and the R8supercar. The R8 was last updated last year, and the A8's most recent refresh took place in 2017 — with a timeline like this, these models could see a complete electric overhaul by 2025, or in the R8's case, end of production.

Ultimately, shelving the TT might end up being a blessing for it. When the first generation was originally shown, its uncompromising yet minimalistic design received critical acclaim and served to secure it the status of a future classic. Later cars have been more dynamic to drive, and there has been a touch more power, but their design has not been as pure. If there will be a spiritual, electric successor to the TT, Audi will now have the time to completely rethink what the model stands for, and this could result in a very attractive design. Unless it will turn out to be another four-door coupe crossover, of course.

But before the TT leaves the stage, there will be at least one special edition, the Quantum Gray Edition. This is due to Audi embarking on a new digital internet sales initiative next month in conjunction with its dealers. It didn't provide many details on what that initiative entails, but the TT Quantum Grey Edition has been selected to be the pilot model for the endeavor.
Source
Old 05-23-19, 06:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Sad to see it go. I have always found the car very appealing.
Old 05-23-19, 06:32 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

It was a charming little roadster / coupe
Old 05-23-19, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry to see it go (IMO, too many non-SUVs, today, are being dropped), but I can't say I ever really liked it. It was, IMO, awkwardly-styled (like the 2Gen Lexus SC430), and I never liked the TT interiors, except for some the early models that had the baseball-stitch accent on the trim for a unique look.
Old 05-23-19, 10:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Sorry to see it go. Always had a soft spot for the TT especially the original, my gf wanted one at one time and we looked around at them but they were just way too expensive for what you got and that was the main problem with Audi TT's, they just got the pricing totally wrong, priced it way too high especially for a car based on humble econo car roots. Another thing is after the first gen the styling got more generic and the interior was no longer that special so it was not as special as the first gen with its stunning unique styling and excellent interior, many say the 350Z and SC430 took styling cues/inspiration from the original TT. They did put out some nice performance version the last few years but they simply charged way too much for it.
Old 05-24-19, 01:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

That is too bad. Always liked the TT. I was leasing Passats and A4's when they first came out, and boy did the TT generate a lot of hype at car shows and the dealership. It, along with the New Beetle were some of the 90's VW/Audi success stories, both of which sold above sticker for a time. Interesting how times and trends change.
Old 05-24-19, 03:02 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I always liked that car! Since I was young back in the late 90s, sad to see it go! Infact I just saw the one other day and reminded me how I liked that car a lot. Any Filipino here every joke about the name of it?
Old 05-24-19, 07:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Owned a couple of them (04, 07), nice cars but I feel they needed to make drastic bodystyle changes/improvements to stay competitive on the latest generation which they solidly failed to do.
Old 05-24-19, 02:37 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TTRS is a beast

Old 05-24-19, 02:58 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

That’s a real shame.
Old 05-25-19, 08:12 PM
LS1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool car but for the price your paying you can get into another S line car with more practicality and better performance. I haven't seen a TT on the road in a while either