Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: fate of my 2014 Mustang Convertible..
sell the mustang and use the $$
50.00%
keep the mustang forever
27.78%
its just a car. get over it.
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Dilemma. what to do with the other car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 10:46 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

I would sell it. I get the sentimental thing too, but in my mind there would be better things to be sentimental about. Your dad apparently didn't really like the car and you certainly don't. It would be another thing entirely if all his life he wanted a Mustang convertible, but he denied himself because it wasn't the practical choice with a family, then decided to just go for it when he found out about his condition. Then it would have been a purchase borne out of his true self, a car that really represented him as a person, if you will. That, to me, would be worth being sentimental about.

I really like Steve's idea of selling it and using at least part of the proceeds to memorialize your father. Contribute to a charity that was (or you know would be) close to his heart. Commission an oil painting of him based on a cherished photo and hang it in your home. Buy a brick in your local town square with his name on it. Something like that.
Old 05-28-19, 10:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,621 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I also would sell it, though I recognize how hard that would be. If I didn't drive it, I would just end up feeling bad about letting it sit and deteriorate. I would rather someone else use it and enjoy it, as I'd feel worse if I felt like I wasn't taking care of my departed father's car.
Old 05-28-19, 11:58 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I understand the sentimental value of keeping the car around, even if it were to never get driven and just sit under a car cover in the back yard for 10 years. If I had the space and didn't need the money, I'd just keep it. In your situation and with your plans, I think I'd sell it, but before I did, I'd get a photographer to take a bunch of pictures of the car. That way, even if you sold the car, you could still have the pictures printed and framed to hold on to the memories.
Old 05-28-19, 12:58 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,206 Likes on 835 Posts

I hate to agree with everyone (because I too, as am sentimental as they come). However, as mentioned above the car sounds like something that's more of a burden than what it's worth. Whoever mentioned selling it, and either a) buying something that makes you happy, or b) using that money to go on an incredible vacation to another part of the world both seem like wonderful ideas. If I was a father, even if my son hated the car I left him, I know I'd be thrilled knowing that he did something with it that made him happy. I think so far taking a vacation to another part of the world, opening your mind, and exploring something new is the best thing you could do with that kind of money if you don't have any other immediate needs for it.
Old 05-30-19, 08:54 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

if i didnt need the money i wouldnt be selling it. i have everything i need but i wanna do bigger things then what im doing now. selling the car will assist me in my journey.
Old 05-30-19, 03:12 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

SW17LS couldn't have said it better. This is just a thing. I have gone through this same thing with my family. You'll never forget great memories of your father. Do something with the money that makes you happy. Sure we are all car guys here and we view them as something more than mere transportation. However, this wasn't his favorite car and it isn't yours either. It's just a liability costing you money. Cherish all the good times you had with your dad and sell the car. He will be looking down on you proud of your future success you get from selling the car and using the money for your new start.
Old 05-31-19, 11:10 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Well its fate is sealed.

driver picks the mustang up at 4 PM today. ill be working and wont get to say goodbye to it and honestly, this hurts. it hurts bad, real bad and it really shouldn't.

the bad outweighs the good though so its time for it to go. i made the decision awhile ago and i was all gung ho about selling it, but then i started driving it again and i never should have because it quickly changed my mind and i didnt want to let it go.

here are the cold hard facts...

yes, "it was my dads car before he died". it was a panicking dead mans impulse buy that was in pain and facing his own mortality the entire time he owned it and died shortly after. this was the car my dad drove himself to chemotherapy in, that he stopped on the side of the highway numerous times in to vomit from the chemicals. this was the car that he drove to go graveyard and funeral shopping in. -yes he lived long enough and was still healthy enough to plan his own doom using this car. horrible!! this was the car i was sitting in with him when he broke the news to me that he had stage IV pancreatic cancer and was not going to be alive much longer. last days of his life and alot of the upsetting memories of that are attached to this car. that is the reality of this.

my ex got sick with leukemia about a month after my dad passed and she went through her treatments sick as hell in this car as well. she also ended up cheating on me with her ex behind my back while driving this car, and tried to run off with it when i tried to get it back from her. more horrible memories.

this was also the car though that brought me to my current life, which isnt chaotic and miserable. i met new people and travled to new places and had new life experiences behind the wheel of it. i met my current girlfriend in it and have all kinds of memories between me and her in it.
while my 95 LS400 was down for the count, this was my main car from the fall of 2016 till june of last year.

june 10th last year is when i got my 2000 Ls400 and this car just got parked and barley moved. i stopped driving it normally and by the time my 95 LS400 was back on the road i stopped driving it completely. now with my 99 LS400 putting me at 3 LS400s, this mustang took the back burner completely ans was just rotting. id drive it around the block once every other week or so, but it spent most of the last year just sitting parked under a tree in my driveway filling with mildew, leaves, and water from a leak that i cant trace completely.

it has 81k miles. this is not a Lexus. its a Ford and a cheap one that probably isn't meant to go much further then 100k anyway

the warranty is now over. if something breaks its gunna sting pretty bad. my dad never took good care of any of his cars and i just drove it doing the bare minimum to keep it safe and running good while i was saving my 95 LS400 and buying my other two LS400s, then it just sat for a year. not a good combination.

the canvas top is starting to get small stress cracks in it. i dont even want to know how much it will cost to replace it.

the weather stripping leaks. after it rains it retains water in the doors and the floor pan. it sat for almost 3 weeks with totally flooded floorboards without me knowing cause i didnt touch it. i keep it parked at my other house that i rarley go to so im sure there are electrical gremlins that are waiting to rear their ugly heads at me any time now.

front end has developed a slight clunk in turns so see front end work in the very near future

one of the LED reverse lights are out and im sure those are expensive to replace

another few years and it wont be worth anything. right now it still is

time for it to go. last night i took a few last final pics of it.

whats crazy is that this is a car that this time last year, i hated and couldnt wait to get back into an LS400. i used to drive around hoping someone would plow into me so i could total it and get a nice check for it or wished would get stolen. i really didnt care for it at all, but then i started driving it again and i realized what a fun little car it was to drive again. its quick and nimble in traffic, gets great gas mileage, and no sunroof will ever be as cool as a retractable top.

the driver is on his way to get the car now.

honestly im really going to miss it, and im kinda heartbroken about it.....
Old 05-31-19, 11:34 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Car looks good.
Converible Mustang is not bad to have as a “cool” car.
81k miles is not a lot by any means and should hold up very well overtime.

Mustangs in general will always retain value better than most other cars because of the name, heritage etc.
You will always get $5 to 10k for it.
Old 06-02-19, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

It was the right choice, those feelings will pass.