Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Virginia Ranks #1 for Distracted Driving/Cell-Phone Use.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-19, 04:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
What I want is not having to share the road with bad drivers who kill 40,000 people a year and permanently maim another 2.3 million, so yes, I want cars to automatically report all violations so that these drivers can be ticketed and have their licenses suspended.
Sorry, my car is my property and I don't want it reporting information about me that can be used against me. If a police officer wants to cite me for a crime, he'll have to observe me committing a crime and prove that in a court.

Life has risks. Mitigating those risks aren't worth curtailing our rights to privacy.

Originally Posted by sm1ke
That assumption was based on what you said in post #20.

"I've tried using Siri and whatever to text and reply by voice, but often thats more distracting than just typing the text because it works so poorly."

You misunderstood me. That statement is accurate, but it doesn't mean I'm driving around texting because Siri doesnt work well. The point was, its technology that has to improve still.

Well, that's your prerogative. You think it's worth distracting yourself while driving so you can conduct business. I don't. You prefer to communicate with your customers via text because you know it's what they want. I understand that, but if it were me, I'd set the expectation that important discussions require a phone call because I'm driving. Anything else can wait. Again, I'm not trying to tell you how to live or work, I'm just saying that I would do it differently and take a safer approach.
It just doesnt work that way. You may choose to do it a different way, but it would cost you money. Its about providing customer service, and in any sales business today instant response has become a part of basic customer service. if people have to wait more than 10 minutes or so for a response to a text, it bothers them. Its not about "important discussions", of course important discussions are done in person or over the phone, its *any* contact.

You did. See post #41.

"In any event, replying to a quick text at a red light or verbally over Siri Eyes Free is no more distracting than making, receiving, and talking on phone calls."

Putting words in my mouth. I bolded where you aren't understanding. I never said texting WHILE DRIVING isn't more distracting than talking on the phone when driving. I said texting while STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT.

Agreed, and I think it's part of the problem. People have become too dependent on text based communication, to the point where they place the same expectations on responding to a text as they would asking a question face-to-face. But that's the way the majority of people communicate now.
Not trying to change the world today. Its not my job to tell people how they want to communicate, its my job to deliver them quality service and that means communicating with them the way they want to be communicated with.

I can also give you some examples where responding to something immediately had a very different outcome than keeping $10k in your pocket. Granted, these examples occurred when drivers were texting while the car was moving, and I know you don't do that. In your case, it isn't really a manual or visual distraction to reply to a text via voice-to-text, but it is a cognitive distraction since you're focusing on work.
The bolded part directly contradicts what you said before that talking on the phone was less distracting. When talking on the phone, I'm focused on work as well. Almost everybody is focused on or thinking about something else when driving other than just driving. I assume you drive in total silence, no music, no conversations with anybody in the car, so you can not have any cognitive distraction?

It just cant be helped. Working while driving a car is just part of the requirements of what I do.
Old 05-30-19, 07:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've long been in favor of prison time for those caught driving with suspended/revoked licenses....especially if they cause an accident and/or injuries/fatalities.
I suppose you do not use your phone while drivng. I do not. I take no calls either on Bluetooth I used to but the fines and penalties are too high and I know someone who crashed their car while texting.
Old 05-30-19, 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I suppose you do not use your phone while driving.
I follow the law......always have. And I don't make excuses for not doing so.
Old 05-31-19, 06:18 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You misunderstood me. That statement is accurate, but it doesn't mean I'm driving around texting because Siri doesnt work well. The point was, its technology that has to improve still.

Oh, I know you don't text while the car is moving. I meant that texting at any time, even while stopped, is still a distraction (albeit slightly less risky compared to texting while driving).

It just doesnt work that way. You may choose to do it a different way, but it would cost you money. Its about providing customer service, and in any sales business today instant response has become a part of basic customer service. if people have to wait more than 10 minutes or so for a response to a text, it bothers them. Its not about "important discussions", of course important discussions are done in person or over the phone, its *any* contact.

To clarify, I should have said that I would try to do it a different way. For the record, I honestly don't know if I would do it any differently if I were in your shoes and that kind of money was at risk. But I do know that I would try everything I could to avoid it. Again, not to say that you aren't trying, but you do have to take some accountability in willingly putting yourself and others at risk to make your money.

There are "Car Mode" apps that only let you access certain apps, and that auto-reply to incoming SMS messages with a preset text message. So I could get into my car, open the Car Mode app and start driving. If someone texted me to confirm an order or something, my phone would auto-reply with "Sorry, I'm in the car. I'll respond as soon as I can." To be fair, this doesn't solve the loss in the efficiency of working in your car, but it gives your customers a response while mitigating one of the many risks involved in driving.

Putting words in my mouth. I bolded where you aren't understanding. I never said texting WHILE DRIVING isn't more distracting than talking on the phone when driving. I said texting while STOPPED AT A RED LIGHT.

And I meant that texting while stopped is still more distracting than talking on the phone. It's harder to keep your eyes above the dash when you have to keep the phone low to avoid being spotted by enforcement. If your eyes are down and the music is going, how likely are you to notice that an emergency vehicle is coming up behind you, trying to get through traffic?

Not trying to change the world today. Its not my job to tell people how they want to communicate, its my job to deliver them quality service and that means communicating with them the way they want to be communicated with.

I don't know what dealing with your customers is like, but the quality of service you provide (in their eyes) doesn't outweigh the risk, IMO.

The bolded part directly contradicts what you said before that talking on the phone was less distracting. When talking on the phone, I'm focused on work as well. Almost everybody is focused on or thinking about something else when driving other than just driving. I assume you drive in total silence, no music, no conversations with anybody in the car, so you can not have any cognitive distraction?

True, but your eyes are still on the road. Even with voice-to-text, your hands may not be on your phone, but you're likely glancing at the screen to confirm that the message was transcribed properly, right? If the phone is on or near your lap, that's almost as distracting as typing out a text. AA/ACP and some infotainment systems help with this by displaying the transcribed text on a screen above the dash, but with a phone call, you don't have to double check anything, so the risk of distraction is lower.

FYI I drive with my music up almost all the time, and its only turned down when the baby is asleep or when I'm having a conversation. It's not about eliminating the cognitive distractions, its about mitigating them.

EDIT: All this to say that while I have an opinion of your conduct, when it comes down to it, I fully agree with you that the tech needs to improve, and fast. In the meantime though, these laws need to be better enforced to be effective. The threat of points, a suspension and a fine is nothing compared actually getting tagged.

Last edited by sm1ke; 05-31-19 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-02-19, 08:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, I know you don't text while the car is moving. I meant that texting at any time, even while stopped, is still a distraction (albeit slightly less risky compared to texting while driving).
Everything you do in a car is a distraction, including talking to other people in the car, changing radio stations, setting a GPS destination. People get so attached to "texting" that they loose sight of their senses. The car is stopped. Me texting or writing a quick email is no different than doing anything else while the car is stopped.

Slightly less risky? Its exponentially less risky than texting while driving.

To clarify, I should have said that I would try to do it a different way. For the record, I honestly don't know if I would do it any differently if I were in your shoes and that kind of money was at risk. But I do know that I would try everything I could to avoid it. Again, not to say that you aren't trying, but you do have to take some accountability in willingly putting yourself and others at risk to make your money.
I've tried to do it another way, there isn't any other way. Too much of my time is spent in the car to go dark for all of that time.

There are "Car Mode" apps that only let you access certain apps, and that auto-reply to incoming SMS messages with a preset text message. So I could get into my car, open the Car Mode app and start driving. If someone texted me to confirm an order or something, my phone would auto-reply with "Sorry, I'm in the car. I'll respond as soon as I can." To be fair, this doesn't solve the loss in the efficiency of working in your car, but it gives your customers a response while mitigating one of the many risks involved in driving.
Tried them, doesnt work. There is too big a pile of stuff to reply to when I get to my destination that stuff gets missed and people don't get responded to in a timely manner,

And I meant that texting while stopped is still more distracting than talking on the phone. It's harder to keep your eyes above the dash when you have to keep the phone low to avoid being spotted by enforcement. If your eyes are down and the music is going, how likely are you to notice that an emergency vehicle is coming up behind you, trying to get through traffic?
The car is stopped. The worst thing that can happen is a car would leave a light ahead of me and I would miss it, and my dash cam alerts me when that happens. If an emergency vehicle came up behind me? It has sirens on and I can hear them. If I'm talking on my phone, I may be less likely to hear them.

Texting when stopped at a light is just not dangerous. Sorry.

I don't know what dealing with your customers is like, but the quality of service you provide (in their eyes) doesn't outweigh the risk, IMO.
It does when that quality of service is what fuels your business and feeds your family.

True, but your eyes are still on the road. Even with voice-to-text, your hands may not be on your phone, but you're likely glancing at the screen to confirm that the message was transcribed properly, right? If the phone is on or near your lap, that's almost as distracting as typing out a text. AA/ACP and some infotainment systems help with this by displaying the transcribed text on a screen above the dash, but with a phone call, you don't have to double check anything, so the risk of distraction is lower.
Voice to text reads back the text to you before it sends. You dont have to look at the screen, thats the whole point.

FYI I drive with my music up almost all the time, and its only turned down when the baby is asleep or when I'm having a conversation. It's not about eliminating the cognitive distractions, its about mitigating them.
Then how can you hear emergency vehicles approaching you when stopped?
Old 06-02-19, 08:46 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Everything you do in a car is a distraction, including talking to other people in the car, changing radio stations, setting a GPS destination. People get so attached to "texting" that they loose sight of their senses. The car is stopped. Me texting or writing a quick email is no different than doing anything else while the car is stopped.

Slightly less risky? Its exponentially less risky than texting while driving
There are different levels of distraction. I don’t know how you could not agree with that?

Someones level of concentration/awareness is completely different if you were to change the radio station vs attempt to read and email or text message from a hand held

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-02-19 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-02-19, 09:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There are different levels of distraction. I don’t know how you could not agree with that?

Someones level of concentration/awareness is completely different if you were to change the radio station vs attempt to read and email or text message from a hand held
Absolutely I agree with that, but with modern cars "changing the radio station" includes selecting a band, Xm or streaming radio or streaming from your iPhone, going through menus and selecting a song or a playlist, its different than just hitting a button.

And again, the car is STOPPED. If I were talking about going from XM to BT audio streaming WHILE DRIVING I wouldnt be getting as much hell as I'm getting about texting WHILE STOPPED. Thats my point, "texting" is a hot button issue while the real problem is distraction.
Old 06-02-19, 09:23 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And again, the car is STOPPED. If I were talking about going from XM to BT audio streaming WHILE DRIVING I wouldnt be getting as much hell as I'm getting about texting WHILE STOPPED. Thats my point, "texting" is a hot button issue while the real problem is distraction.
Even if the car is stopped. Your level of concentration is different from using a hand held and texting vs changing the radio via XM or whatever band. That is what the issue is. If your stopped, and trying to change the XM station on your phone vs the cars controls, that too is an issue
Old 06-02-19, 09:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Even if the car is stopped. Your level of concentration is different from using a hand held and texting vs changing the radio via XM or whatever band. That is what the issue is. If your stopped, and trying to change the XM station on your phone vs the cars controls, that too is an issue
I just don't agree with you. The car's infotainment system itself is a computer, and it takes more attention and concentration to do many things on the car's infotainment system than it does to type out a text or an email on a phone. I can type texts without even looking at my phone.

The difference is that you have to put your head down to use the phone, but when I'm stopped...my concentration is not as required as when I am moving. Car manufacturers agree with this, which is why many shut off certain functionalities when moving, not when stopped.

Its all distraction. There is nothing so special about doing a task with a phone vs something else that makes it more distracting. Phones are just the scapegoat people like to use.
Old 06-03-19, 06:27 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Slightly less risky? Its exponentially less risky than texting while driving.
Slightly or exponentially, it's still more risky than postponing a response.

Tried them, doesn't work. There is too big a pile of stuff to reply to when I get to my destination that stuff gets missed and people don't get responded to in a timely manner.
Well the problem isn't with the tech. It can be improved, sure, but that isn't an excuse. If the tech isn't there yet, you either use it while being aware of it's limitations, or you limit the distraction.

If an emergency vehicle came up behind me? It has sirens on and I can hear them. If I'm talking on my phone, I may be less likely to hear them.

Texting when stopped at a light is just not dangerous. Sorry.
That's quite a narrow minded statement.

If you're talking to someone over bluetooth audio, your eyes should be on the road. You can see an emergency vehicle in your rearview mirror before you can hear it.

The point is, if you're driving, you're supposed to be aware of everything around you, which includes the road, pedestrians, cyclists, incoming traffic, drivers behind you, the light in front of you, etc. You can't do all of that if you're focused on typing out a response on the phone in your lap.

Let's say you're stopped at a light. Text comes in, you glance at your phone and see that it's a client. Check the light, it's still red. Check for cops, and there are none around, so you pick up your phone to read/respond. A pedestrian then decides to run through the crosswalk because they're about to miss their bus. They trip in front of your car as the light turns green, and they're now obscured by your hood, so you don't see them, and you attempt to accelerate through the light. You know the rest. You might argue that a car with parking sensors/pedestrian detection might stop the car for you, but not all cars have this tech yet, and even if they did, the systems aren't perfect and the sensors can fail.

It does when that quality of service is what fuels your business and feeds your family.
You're not the only one with a job and a family.

Then how can you hear emergency vehicles approaching you when stopped?
I can see it in my rearview mirror.

If it were really that much safer to text while stopped, enforcement wouldn't be able to ticket you for it. I'd love to hear you try to argue your way out of a ticket or plead your case in traffic court.
Old 06-03-19, 06:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well the problem isn't with the tech. It can be improved, sure, but that isn't an excuse. If the tech isn't there yet, you either use it while being aware of it's limitations, or you limit the distraction.

That's quite a narrow minded statement.

If you're talking to someone over bluetooth audio, your eyes should be on the road. You can see an emergency vehicle in your rearview mirror before you can hear it.

The point is, if you're driving, you're supposed to be aware of everything around you, which includes the road, pedestrians, cyclists, incoming traffic, drivers behind you, the light in front of you, etc. You can't do all of that if you're focused on typing out a response on the phone in your lap.

Let's say you're stopped at a light. Text comes in, you glance at your phone and see that it's a client. Check the light, it's still red. Check for cops, and there are none around, so you pick up your phone to read/respond. A pedestrian then decides to run through the crosswalk because they're about to miss their bus. They trip in front of your car as the light turns green, and they're now obscured by your hood, so you don't see them, and you attempt to accelerate through the light. You know the rest. You might argue that a car with parking sensors/pedestrian detection might stop the car for you, but not all cars have this tech yet, and even if they did, the systems aren't perfect and the sensors can fail.

If it were really that much safer to text while stopped, enforcement wouldn't be able to ticket you for it. I'd love to hear you try to argue your way out of a ticket or plead your case in traffic court.
Everything you say I agree with. I will also add, being stopped at a stop light, a drivers brain is processing info and is distracted in a completely different way if you were looking at emails and responding to them vs changing a radio on the dash display. Even after you put the phone down and begin to drive again, you are still distracted for a certain number of seconds. There is lots of research on all this.
Old 06-03-19, 10:00 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

the worst that can happen from texting at a light is someone behind giving you a quick honk if you don't start moving when the light changes, but there's no inherent danger
Old 06-03-19, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the worst that can happen from texting at a light is someone behind giving you a quick honk if you don't start moving when the light changes, but there's no inherent danger

No danger? That may depend on just who is behind you.
Old 06-03-19, 03:46 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
Not the case at all. Most distracted drivers start slowly moving while still looking at their cell phones after being honked at, and this is exactly how accidents involving cyclists and pedestrians often occur. Just about 20 minutes ago I was cycling home from my office, and some lady was texting on her phone at a red light - people behind her started honking when the light switched, and she started to turn right while her head still in her phone at the same time as I was entering the intersection. I had to smack the side of her car with my hand and yell at her to get her attention.

The fact is way too many people don't have the mental capacity to be responsible drivers. Before granting people driving privileges there should be vigorous testing, as well as mental and physical evaluation. Once granted, there should be very strict enforcement and permanent suspension for major violation, and jail time for road rage, DWI (including alcohol, drugs, and weed smoke), and driving without license or insurance.
Old 06-03-19, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I do both.

I actually hear emergency vehicles typically before I see them in a mirror. Bottom line is, we're both choosing to accept distractions that are limiting our ability to be alerted to emergency vehicles.

Just because I'm looking at my phone in my hand at steering wheel level doesnt mean that I'm not aware of what's going on around me. The windshield is still visible in my upper periphery, and in reality I'm looking up every couple of seconds to make sure I'm not missing anything or the light. I think your scenario is one I would see, and if I didn't it would be an extremely unlikely confluence of scenarios occurring to make it so. In any event, I could have missed it digging through my console or glove box, or picking up food to eat it, etc.

And? Most people don't drive around as part of their workday.

And I can hear it and you can't. So like I said, we're both choosing not to pay as close attention as we could.

You're assuming that localities pass laws and law enforcement officials enforce laws with the primary goal being to make us safer. I don't agree with that, I think the vast majority of traffic laws and enforcement is meant to create revenue. Its illegal when stopped because its much easier to enforce amongst stopped cars.

I wouldn't even try to argue my way out of a ticket or plead my case in traffic court. I would pay the ticket. If it were a serious fine I'd hire a good attorney and they would get me out of it.

Quick Reply: Virginia Ranks #1 for Distracted Driving/Cell-Phone Use.