Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

And now, rumors of GM buying Ford...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-19, 09:48 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading an article about Tesla's money problems and the prospect of bankruptcy. Author was talking about how the average margin on a vehicle is about 6%. Not sure of the accuracy of that but sounds legit. 6% profit margins is a pathetic number in the marketplace in general. He made the point of saying building cars is "dumb" because of how hard it is and how hard it is to make money.

Meanwhile, people think they are getting ripped off by today's "outrageous" car prices. On the contrary, a $35,000 car is a miracle for only costing that much. Think of every aspect of the car and imagine bringing it all together for $35K.
Old 06-01-19, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I was reading an article about Tesla's money problems and the prospect of bankruptcy. Author was talking about how the average margin on a vehicle is about 6%. Not sure of the accuracy of that but sounds legit. 6% profit margins is a pathetic number in the marketplace in general. He made the point of saying building cars is "dumb" because of how hard it is and how hard it is to make money.

Meanwhile, people think they are getting ripped off by today's "outrageous" car prices. On the contrary, a $35,000 car is a miracle for only costing that much. Think of every aspect of the car and imagine bringing it all together for $35K.
I agree that the average car, today, is not the rip-off that many claim it is. But buying a car, in most cases, is not like just walking into a grocery store and walking out with a bag of groceries. It is long, drawn-out process, can take hours, and, unless one agrees to a pre-determined Internet or no-dicker-price, can result on a lot of bargaining and calculating. Few other things in life, outside of a house, are bought that way. In addition, dealerships can, and often do, take advantage of high-demand/low-supply vehicles by padding the figures with add-on markups, not to mention all the things that the Business-Manager tries to sell you after you are done with the salesperson.
Old 06-01-19, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Back to GM and Ford, as of now, this story may just be more rumor than fact.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/05/30...t-about-tesla/

I myself, as I have said before, have strong doubts that American regulators would approve the merger of two giant corporations of this size.
Old 06-01-19, 06:41 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The idea of Ford and Chevy being the same company is sacrilege. It'll never happen.

That would be like CNN and Fox News merging.
Old 06-01-19, 06:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The idea of Ford and Chevy being the same company is sacrilege. It'll never happen.
On the other hand, who ever thought that Mercedes and Chrysler would, some day, be part of the same corporation? In fairness, though, neither one of those two companies is anywhere near the size of Ford or GM. Regulators would probably have to be smoking dope to approve a Ford/GM merger....not necessarily because it would be a "sacrilege", but because it would simply control too much of the American market.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, can you simply imagine all of the F-150, Silverado, and Sierra full-size truck sales in one large corporation?

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-01-19 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-01-19, 07:05 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On the other hand, who ever thought that Mercedes and Chrysler would, some day, be part of the same corporation? In fairness, though, neither one of those two companies is anywhere near the size of Ford or GM.
Chrysler and MB weren't really competitors though. GM and Ford have been the biggest automotive rivals for 100 years.

Imagine Mustang and Camaro, F-Series and Silverado the same company? Branding and heritage would suddenly become irrelevant.
Old 06-01-19, 07:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

GM and Ford have been the biggest automotive rivals for 100 years.
On that one, I'll probably have to agree with you, although the European 3-way rivalry between Renault, Fiat, and Volkswagen has also been of note. If Renault ends up buying Fiat (Fiat has been looking for a buyer for years), it could be comparable to a GM/Ford monolith in size.
Old 06-01-19, 09:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That would be like CNN and Fox News merging.
CNN and FoxNews merging actually makes more sense--there's no overlapping viewers. Having Chevy and Ford under the same umbrella competing for the exact same customer is nonsense.
Old 06-01-19, 09:34 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On the other hand, who ever thought that Mercedes and Chrysler would, some day, be part of the same corporation? In fairness, though, neither one of those two companies is anywhere near the size of Ford or GM. Regulators would probably have to be smoking dope to approve a Ford/GM merger....not necessarily because it would be a "sacrilege", but because it would simply control too much of the American market.
Chrysler and MB weren't really competitors though. GM and Ford have been the biggest automotive rivals for 100 years.

Imagine Mustang and Camaro, F-Series and Silverado the same company? Branding and heritage would suddenly become irrelevant.
@-J-P-L- is exactly right--a merger like DaimlerChrysler makes a heck of a lot more sense. The resulting company expands its customer base. Of course, that's just a bad example of a merger on any level.....
Old 06-01-19, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
@-J-P-L- is exactly right--a merger like DaimlerChrysler makes a heck of a lot more sense.
Well, I wasn't really disagreeing with JPL...my point, was, though, that Daimler and Chrysler were, at the time, smaller companies than GM or Ford, and more likely to have regulators approve the deal. I'll be very surprised if regulators approve a Ford/GM merger.
Old 06-01-19, 11:45 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 302 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Yes. But that stock price is usually reflective of a better, well run company. In contrast to Tesla, their stock price IMO is reflective of the what could become if they could over take off properly, if Tesla takes off, at least a $1000 stock. IMO
If absolute share price is the arbiter of a well run company, than anyone who buys any stock other than BRK.A (Berkshire Hathaway) is a damn fool. Closed yesterday at $297,060 per share.
Old 06-01-19, 11:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
If absolute share price is the arbiter of a well run company.
Huh? I said usually. Not always. Not absolute. Nor arbiter. And my use of usually was only referring to Toyota over Ford.
Old 06-01-19, 12:56 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

On that one, I'll probably have to agree with you, although the European 3-way rivalry between Renault, Fiat, and Volkswagen has also been of note. If Renault ends up buying Fiat (Fiat has been looking for a buyer for years), it could be comparable to a GM/Ford monolith in size.
IMO, after mulling it over for a while, this merger would make sense for the both of them. Some believe there is a sizable shift and change coming to the automotive landscape. Currently auto sales are declining. and if there were a recession to happen, one of these two companies would not be standing in the future. Add in the idea that EV cars are coming, I do not think Ford or GM can survive.