Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 RX and RXL revealed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 11:38 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats not really a function of their own sales as much as its a function of increased model lineups from BMW and Mercedes
Certainly that plays a role, but what about people claiming that ugly grill as a cause of Lexus losing market share? Lexus had even less models than they do now when they were first in sales. Its many contributing factors, UI, its face, age of vehicles, powertrains and etc.
Old 06-10-19, 12:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Certainly that plays a role, but what about people claiming that ugly grill as a cause of Lexus losing market share? Lexus had even less models than they do now when they were first in sales. Its many contributing factors, UI, its face, age of vehicles, powertrains and etc.
People can claim whatever they like, the question is whether thats actually happening or not. I don't see any evidence that the spindle grill has hurt Lexus sales.

Yes they had less models, but BMW and Mercedes had FAR less models.
Old 06-10-19, 01:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

People can claim whatever they like, the question is whether thats actually happening or not. I don't see any evidence that the spindle grill has hurt Lexus sales..
It actually has not killed their sales. It has allowed Lexus to charge more for many of their products as well elevate their perception of being a "boring brand" Lexus models of today are designed to bring out emotion in the potential buyer. The new models you either like or you do not like, there is not boring "meh" which is a brand killer. If you look at popular shows such Harry's Garage or Jay Leno's Garage, the new LS500, LC500, RC track models are types of models that resonate with those reviewers, and thus the people watching those shows.

I don't see any evidence that the spindle grill has hurt Lexus sales..
Worldwide, Lexus is growing. In the US, the market is slowing and less cars are being sold year after year, so Lexus will never grow the way it once did, instead Lexus has pushed many of their points higher to make up for it.

People can claim whatever they like, t.
I have noticed on this site, there are those that come out of the wood work to just hate or bring up the same old tired song (usually tied upon of their past views), versus those who actually give a little bit of criticism. Lexus is on a new path, new markets, new buyers, a new way of doing things.
Old 06-10-19, 01:07 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I'm admittedly getting off track, but in my experience, one of the biggest factors hurting Lexus against BMW is just how well BMWs lease comparatively.

Earlier this year I was comparing the 540i to the GS350. I went with the GS because I wanted to buy it (not lease) and the GS was considerably less than the 540i I was looking at. But if I were going to lease, the BMW made more sense because of the much higher residuals. I could lease a $75k 540i for less per month than a $61k GS.
Old 06-10-19, 01:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I'm admittedly getting off track, but in my experience, one of the biggest factors hurting Lexus against BMW is just how well BMWs lease comparatively.

Earlier this year I was comparing the 540i to the GS350. I went with the GS because I wanted to buy it (not lease) and the GS was considerably less than the 540i I was looking at. But if I were going to lease, the BMW made more sense because of the much higher residuals. I could lease a $75k 540i for less per month than a $61k GS.
Toyota and Lexus have more buyers compared to other brands. Repeat Toyota buyers are the highest in the industry, I am sure Lexus is high as well. All tied into how long they last.
Old 06-10-19, 01:48 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

People can claim whatever they like, the question is whether thats actually happening or not. I don't see any evidence that the spindle grill has hurt Lexus sales.

Yes they had less models, but BMW and Mercedes had FAR less models.
I think it is the business decisions that is killing sales in the U.S. more than anything else. In the last 5 yrs or so, we got some mediocre or at best average and some overpriced products and products that doesnt meet market demands.

RC- Dud
GSF- Dud
LC - Dud
NX - Average
US - Slightly below average
GX - decade old
LX - decade old
RX - sells on reputation and value
ES - Surprise hit
IS - Old
GS - Missing 3 legs and the 4th is rotting fast

This RX refresh is half-azzed at best. Couple of extra welds and new UI and less than minor styling changes but it will sell based on reputation and value. For the last half a decade, it has been about sports cars and performance with mediocre engines and transmissions. Doesnt look like a company with a clear path to anything other than "shrug- lets do this now."
LS500 - Dud
Old 06-10-19, 01:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I think it is the business decisions that is killing sales in the U.S. more than anything else. In the last 5 yrs or so, we got some mediocre or at best average and some overpriced products and products that doesnt meet market demands.

RC- Dud
GSF- Dud
LC - Dud
NX - Average
GX - decade old
LX - decade old
ES - Surprise hit
IS - Old

This RX refresh is half-azzed at best. Couple of extra welds and new UI and less than minor styling changes but it will sell based on reputation and value. For the last half a decade, it has been about sports cars and performance with mediocre engines and transmissions. Doesnt look like a company with a clear path to anything other than "shrug- lets do this now."
LS500 - Du
d
So why are you a Lexus fan then? Sounds like you really dislike Lexus.
Old 06-10-19, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

And who says anything is "killing sales in the US"?!? I see no evidence of that.

As for the RX refresh...its totally in line with every past refresh of the RX...
Old 06-10-19, 03:01 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

RC- Dud
GSF- Dud
LC - Dud
NX - Average
GX - decade old
LX - decade old
ES - Surprise hit
IS - Old

LS500 - Dud
A lot of this may be true, but you really slant things in a negative light for Lexus to help prove your point. For example, you could have just as easily said, RX - top seller in the Lux segment, built on a strong brand and value prop.

Last edited by jwong77; 06-10-19 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 03:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This RX refresh is half-azzed at best.

For the last half a decade, it has been about sports cars and performance with mediocre engines and transmissions. Doesnt look like a company with a clear path to anything other than "shrug- lets do this now."
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
So why are you a Lexus fan then? Sounds like you really dislike Lexus.

Car Chat has a number of folks that are not particularly strong Lexus fans. That's why we talk about anything on wheels here.
Old 06-10-19, 03:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
A lot of this may be true, but you really slant things in a negative light for Lexus to help prove your point. For example, you could have just as easily said, RX - top seller in the Lux segment, built on a strong brand.
#1 best selling luxury crossover
Old 06-10-19, 03:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

And who says anything is "killing sales in the US"?!? I see no evidence of that.
Lexus has expanded their options and choices. Lexus sales are doing well
Old 06-10-19, 03:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 472 Likes on 312 Posts

RC- Dud [True - styling lacklustre]
GSF- Dud [Not really, this type of vehicle cannot sell in high volumes]
LC - Dud [Not really, this type of vehicle cannot sell in high volumes]
NX - Average [True - a reasonable motor vehicle]
US - Slightly below average [UX I think is reasonable, but US doesn't really like sub-compacts; Europe loves sub-compacts]
GX - decade old [True]
LX - decade old [True]
RX - sells on [b][styling] reputation and value [IMO RX too firmly damped, and low profile tires too nonabsorbent and noisy]
ES - Surprise hit [I think ES is dragging along well, going back to a more comfortable and refined ride]
IS - Old [True]
GS - Missing 3 legs and the 4th is rotting fast [GS is just very old, that's all; it took nearly 12 years to release 5LS, so it may take a bit longer to release 5GS & 4IS]

This RX refresh is half-azzed at best. Couple of extra welds and new UI and less than minor styling changes but it will sell based on reputation and value. For the last half a decade, it has been about sports cars and performance [so very true] with mediocre engines and transmissions. Doesnt look like a company with a clear path to anything other than "shrug- lets do this now."

LS500 - Dud [Very true]
That's my 2 cents.
Old 06-10-19, 03:38 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that Lexus launched some mediocre vehicles in the past few years. The number of models has increased but the sales figure hasn’t increased proportionally. We tried very hard to like the new RX and other newer Lexus models. But we simply couldnt stomach the spindle grill when it came time to replace our aging LS’s years ago. We went with the Germans. Yes, the spindle grill drove us away.

Btw, why has Lexus launched the RC and LC when the market clearly prefers SUVs? Neither one sells well. The GX and LX are the ones that desperately need updates! Lexus is handing the premium CUV segment to the Germans.
Old 06-10-19, 03:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrickHead
We tried very hard to like the new
Still the best selling luxury vehicle.

What German models did you buy?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-10-19 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 2020 RX and RXL revealed...